Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question - Aeroplan Business Ticket booked Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 8:15 am
Original Poster

A quick question, my wife and I are flying AC888 YOW to LHR in June. We both paid Aeroplan points for business, but as of now I am in economy as there was not a seat available. The next couple legs of mine are all in business, so I don't mind if I don't get it. However, the agent said that since I 'paid' for business I will probably be upgraded closer to the day of departure.

Does anyone have any insight as how this process unfolds? In other words, should I keep checking Aeroplan for availability closer to the date, or is this an automatic process?

all the best,
David
Old May 20, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Davidwashere
A quick question, my wife and I are flying AC888 YOW to LHR in June. We both paid Aeroplan points for business, but as of now I am in economy as there was not a seat available. The next couple legs of mine are all in business, so I don't mind if I don't get it. However, the agent said that since I 'paid' for business I will probably be upgraded closer to the day of departure.

Does anyone have any insight as how this process unfolds? In other words, should I keep checking Aeroplan for availability closer to the date, or is this an automatic process?

all the best,
David
Not automatic so keep checking if a seat opens up. You'll be put on the upgrade list. Upgrades clear according to Ben by status. I'm on my phone so can't see your FT profile but if you don't have any status you're at the bottom of the list I'm afraid
Old May 20, 2015, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
To clarify, there are two things you need to do:
1. Keep checking. If business class space opens up, call Aeroplan. This will be a free change.
2. If you're still in economy when you check-in, tell the agent you're on a business class Aeroplan ticket, and you want to be put on the upgrade list for that segment. You can only do this for AC-operated segments.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: *void
To humpback on this thread, can someone clarify if in this scenario, with a Y boarding pass (but booked with J points) are you allowed into the lounges, or is this a YMMV and/or depends on the lounge (eg, MLL vs other Star Alliance/contract lounges)?

I know I've read about this in the past, but can't recall if there is a definitive answer or not.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
To humpback on this thread, can someone clarify if in this scenario, with a Y boarding pass (but booked with J points) are you allowed into the lounges, or is this a YMMV and/or depends on the lounge (eg, MLL vs other Star Alliance/contract lounges)?

I know I've read about this in the past, but can't recall if there is a definitive answer or not.
I seem to recall from Ben that yes, they were allowed in the lounge.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I seem to recall from Ben that yes, they were allowed in the lounge.
I remember it not being clearly clarified. I've been both allowed in and denied in that situation. I was denied at a MLL and allowed in a United Club.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:08 am

An AC agent will be able to look up your ticket and see it's a business class ticket, so should let you in. I would expect to be denied at other *A lounges unless you're *G.

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I remember it not being clearly clarified. I've been both allowed in and denied in that situation. I was denied at a MLL and allowed in a United Club.
That blows my mind.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:08 am
Suspended

Ok ok ok, I dug it up Ben has posted there about details

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...xed-cabin.html
Old May 20, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: *void
Thanks for the link, SAP. But, I'll be connecting in ORD onwards on a Y boarding pass, so I think it will be as the COW suggested, expect to be denied (no *G status).

I'll be checking daily on Aeroplan for a J seat to open up on that shortie segment, and get my speed-dial ready to call in for the free upgrade.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
An AC agent will be able to look up your ticket and see it's a business class ticket, so should let you in. I would expect to be denied at other *A lounges unless you're *G.

That blows my mind.
I was flat out denied in YYZ earlier this year. I was on an aeroplan J award coming from TPE-YYZ on EVA connecting to a Y flight to YOW. I was told it didn't matter that I was on a J redemption, my flight was Y and that was all there was to it. I started a thread, can't find it at the moment and although Ben replied to the thread I did not feel it was clarified at all.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:42 am

Thanks for the link, SAP. But, I'll be connecting in ORD onwards on a Y boarding pass, so I think it will be as the COW suggested, expect to be denied (no *G status).

I'll be checking daily on Aeroplan for a J seat to open up on that shortie segment, and get my speed-dial ready to call in for the free upgrade.
Can't remember when, but some time ago I connected in ORD coming from a J flight connecting to Y and they let me in the United Club. After some intial confusion since my boarding pass was Y they figured out I was on a J itin and let me in.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:43 am

I was flat out denied in YYZ earlier this year. I was on an aeroplan J award coming from TPE-YYZ on EVA connecting to a Y flight to YOW. I was told it didn't matter that I was on a J redemption, my flight was Y and that was all there was to it. I started a thread, can't find it at the moment and although Ben replied to the thread I did not feel it was clarified at all.
Hmmm. I'm basing my statements on what I thought Ben said.

How does it work on a revenue ticket? YVR-YYZ (J) - YGK (Y). Would you have access in YYZ?

My understanding is the airline is only paid for a business class seat if you actually have a business class seat, regardless of what you paid Aeroplan, so I can understand an airline denying you entry.

When you fly BR J as AC*G, BR pays for lounge entry. When you fly BR Y as AC*G, AC pays for lounge entry. If you're flying BR Y with no status, who should pay for your lounge access?
Old May 20, 2015, 11:54 am

My previous thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...y-segment.html

The 'policy' is not clear to me at all regarding these situations.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:11 pm

A few points:

1) A J ticket with segments only confirmed in Y, means you automatically go onto the waitlist for J seating. Fare rules require that an AP J ticket have at least one confirmed J segment prior to issuance.

2) Waitlists are cleared before any upgrades are made. Hence, the upgrade priority schema as quoted by "Ben" doesn't matter. Upgrades are only for passengers who bought Y tickets and want to travel in a class of service they strictly didn't pay for. Waitlists are for people who paid J fare (either cash or points) and were not able to be confirmed in J at the time of booking.

3) Barring J legitimately being full of confirmed revenue passengers/certain AC employees contractually entitled to J (ie: deadheading captains)/paid last minute upgraders, the waitlist will clear into actual J seating and they will call you up for a J boarding pass.

4) Per the fare rules of AP tickets, there is no compensation available if one has one of these tickets, and the waitlist to J does not clear in their favour.

5) Status may or may not be a deciding factor if the waitlist truly exceeds available seats.

Last edited by pitz; May 20, 2015 at 2:17 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
2) Waitlists are cleared before any upgrades are made. Hence, the upgrade priority schema as quoted by "Ben" doesn't matter. Upgrades are only for passengers who bought Y tickets and want to travel in a class of service they strictly didn't pay for. Waitlists are for people who paid J fare (either cash or points) and were not able to be confirmed in J at the time of booking.
Except Ben specifically mentioned that in this case, you're on the same list, sorted by cabin/status/fare class/check-in time, and your fare class is at the bottom.

So yes, "the upgrade priority schema as quoted by "Ben"" does matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.