Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bennyblanco
​​​​​​
not all "taxes" per se no.. but taxes and fees.
Taxes are imposed by various governments. For a single from Canada to Germany, those should be approximately $60-70. Anything else is a carrier surcharge. It is not a tax and is simply a fee charged by the carrier as the cash component of a redemption ticket. In your case, that is approximately, $1,100.

See if you can do this on UA and how it comes out.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:35 pm

Assuming you are flying one way, have you looked at points beyond FRA that have lower YQs?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Assuming you are flying one way, have you looked at points beyond FRA that have lower YQs?
Just a FYI.....OP is not flying one way as he listed 110,000 miles in J, which is for a return ticket.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:11 pm

Looking for a return, but flexible with dates. Going to read through the thread 24left pointed me to and then ask questions if needed.
24left likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by bennyblanco
Looking for a return, but flexible with dates. Going to read through the thread 24left pointed me to and then ask questions if needed.
Just some additional info. You will not be able to avoid these carrier surcharges if you fly AC or LH to FRA. You will see from Jerry Hung's thread that you may have to fly a route with a stop and on other carriers (as rankourabu also noted).
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
These are (mostly) not taxes.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:55 am

Thanks to this sub I was able to book to my first redemption ticket using an extended layover and an open jaw. I've redeemed tickets before, but only to 1 or 2 destinations with a reward ticket. Now I look back and see it was such a waste. I'm posting my booking here to hopefully help give an idea on taxes with the award tickets. This is kind of a last minute trip since I was able to book an awesome cruise for super cheap. Redemption value is not that great, but I didn't want to pay $5000+ for 4 tickets. I was just happy I was able to book something so last minute. Thanks to rankourabu for helping me out.

4 tickets in Y in July.

YYZ-BOS - AC
BOS-CPH - SK
CPH- FCO - SK - open jaw
VIE-BRU - SN - 21 hours layover
BRU-CPH - SN - stop
CPH-BOS - SN
BOS-YYZ - AC

$293 in taxes + $30 booking fee

Also, I had to book 4 tickets using 3 accounts. I was trying to use up the kids aeroplan points. On the last booking, the CPH - FCO disappeared!!! I had to reroute my son on another route so we would end up in FCO around the same time.

YYZ-ZRH - AC
ZRH-FRA - LH
FRA-FCO - LH

Rest of the itinerary remained the same.

$562.66 taxes + $30 booking of fee

Later on the evening the CPH-FCO segment reappeared and I was able to change the ticket with $100 fee and received a refund for the tax difference.

This was my first time calling into the call center. I didn't need to wait very long, maybe 10 min. The rep I had was awesome! She was very experienced, friendly, professional. She told jokes and would sing too while we waited for the system to load. Apparently she has been working there for 20 years.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:57 am
Original Poster

just also a data point

I booked ex-AKL (New Zealand) Aeroplan flight on TG (AKL-BKK-TPE one-way in Y) and there is no YQ as NZ law, so for 4 pax it's only $135 CAD!!
Old May 7, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jerryhung
just also a data point

I booked ex-AKL (New Zealand) Aeroplan flight on TG (AKL-BKK-TPE one-way in Y) and there is no YQ as NZ law, so for 4 pax it's only $135 CAD!!
Same if you originate Australia.

BUT

If its a round trip,even though YQ is illegal in AU/NZ - you will get charged based on point of origin.

If one is going to Australia/NZ/Europe - always book two one ways, if not taking advantage of stopovers.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:11 am

I was flying YUL-BOS-LIS-OPO on TP (except for the first leg on AC). Due to a schedule change, I've been rebooked on YUL-ZRH (LX) and ZRH-OPO (TP). The new itinerary generates normally less taxes and fees than the older one, but agent said since it was due to a schedule change, "taxes" won't be recalculated. Is that true?

And if it's true, I could then have asked for something like YUL-ZRH-BCN (stop)-OPO without any added fee?

FYI agent accepted to rebook even though the schedule change was only a 24 minutes one.
Thanks for reading.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: air miles
With Brussels no longer an option ex YYZ come summer 2020. What are some good intermediate destinations to minimize YQ on YYZ-Europe reward tickets? Cairo, Istanbul???
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:27 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
With Brussels no longer an option ex YYZ come summer 2020. What are some good intermediate destinations to minimize YQ on YYZ-Europe reward tickets? Cairo, Istanbul???
I tend to book via YTZ so often can book LX (and I assume SN) online from there.

I don't mind the short hop in Y as the planes are usually pretty empty and they do a quick service to match Porter. And I don't have to UPX it home.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Visit here

2019's MOST Comprehensive Guide to Fuel Surcharge (YQ) Using Aeroplan Miles - PointsNerd
https://www.pointsnerd.ca/2019s-most...eroplan-miles/

No-YQ is one thing
Finding availabillity is another story - TK is easier but it may cause MPM issue
route via YUL is probably easier to find SN, LX, or even AC space
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan, Bonvoy, HHonors, National EC
Just started planning for August/September 2020. 4 tickets in J. Looking to book Toronto to Madeira for 3-4 days, then fly back to Lisbon (10 nights) to drive thru Portugal and fly (revenue ticket)/drive/train into Spain (3 days), and then home to YYZ.

A forum search reveals a similar itinerary (BCN and FNC were flipped) was booked in 2018, so I think this is within MPM, with my PTO being BCN.

But I'm trying to understand how this fits with the new rules (1 stopover/open-jaw, in addition to the PTO). Is the below doable?

YYZ - FNC (stop)
FNC - LIS (open-jaw)
BCN (or some other Spanish city) - YYZ

Or might I have to pay both ways in/out of LIS:

YYZ - FNC (PTO)
FNC - LIS (stop)
(Revenue ticket to/from Spain)
LIS - YYZ

or

YYZ - LIS (stop)
(Revenue ticket to/from FNC)
LIS - BCN (PTO)
BCN - YYZ

Follow up questions:

I know I'll have to call in to book these, but am trying to confirm availability/options online.

Into LIS, I'm thinking TP or UA (to avoid YQ of course). Haven't seen any availability on TP on the AE website. Any insight on when TP releases seats?

Home from Spain, am hoping for LX (or UA) as well...but the website keeps showing me Rouge options. Any thoughts on more suitable options to come home?

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome (on either the travel between cities or the destinations themselves). Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.