Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Business Class Purchase on AC and Asiana in business class accumulation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM

Hi,

I gratefully appreciate any comments. I bought a ticket in business class to Thailand involving a flight from Vancouver to ICN to HKT via Air Canada and Asiana. I was careful to make sure the full flight itinerary is in business class and not mixed seating. I notice at Air Canada it says my Asiana fare class is "P". On Asiana's website, it says that "P" does not earn any miles. Is it possible I paid for a full-price business class ticket that does not earn mileage for my Air Canada altitude status from ICN to HKT?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by IC Expert
Hi,

I gratefully appreciate any comments. I bought a ticket in business class to Thailand involving a flight from Vancouver to ICN to HKT via Air Canada and Asiana. I was careful to make sure the full flight itinerary is in business class and not mixed seating. I notice at Air Canada it says my Asiana fare class is "P". On Asiana's website, it says that "P" does not earn any miles. Is it possible I paid for a full-price business class ticket that does not earn mileage for my Air Canada altitude status from ICN to HKT?
I had one of those AC tickets to elsewhere in SE Asia. If the Asiana flight # is an AC 4-digit flight #, it is AC codeshare and I was told, qualifies as an AC P fare class and earns 150% AQM.

EDIT TO ADD:

If it is an Asiana flight #, you are correct, they do not have P class.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by 24left
I had one of those AC tickets to elsewhere in SE Asia. If the Asiana flight # is an AC 4-digit flight #, it is AC codeshare and I was told, qualifies as an AC P fare class and earns 150% AQM.
[bolding mine] This doesn't make sense, it's always the fare class of the operating carrier that matters, so the AC P is irrelevant for Aeroplan earning purposes. Asiana's Business Fare Classes are C,D,J,Z,U. The first 4 of those earn 125% AQM, and U earns 100% AQM.

To know for sure, you need to find your Asiana PNR and see what fare class it's booked as on the OZ side.
mapleg likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
[bolding mine] This doesn't make sense, it's always the fare class of the operating carrier that matters, so the AC P is irrelevant for Aeroplan earning purposes. Asiana's Business Fare Classes are C,D,J,Z,U. The first 4 of those earn 125% AQM, and U earns 100% AQM.

To know for sure, you need to find your Asiana PNR and see what fare class it's booked as on the OZ side.
Or to summarize in case the difference doesn't matter: it earns either 100% or 125%
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Thanks for the correction.
Perhaps I should call the agent who gave me the info.
I rarely book codeshares and I cancelled the ticket within 24 hours so the earning on Asiana didn't matter in the end.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Where I get concerned is on Asiana website (not aeroplans website listing Asiana fare class) they do list "P' class in business with zero mile accumulation. But I can't comprehend how if the link below is correct I could purchase a business class ticket and not earn miles. I have never heard of paid business class tickets that don't have mileage accumulation. I am not able to call the Asiana call centre as the phone number does not work from the country I am currently in. So I went to the Asian website and found my reservation with thier PNR. It say I am booked on and AC flight from ICN to HKT in class "P". It is AC 6981.

https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/conten...table-by-class

Last edited by IC Expert; Oct 10, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
But you plan on accumulating Aeroplan miles, I assume, so what Asiana published on their website (i.e. rules for their own FF) is not relevant.

The "P" you see on your booking is AC "P" fare. What fare it is for Asiana is "unknown". You need to call Asiana to find out.
ChrisA330 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by IC Expert
Where I get concerned is on Asiana website (not aeroplans website listing Asiana fare class) they do list "P' class in business with zero mile accumulation. But I can't comprehend how if the link below is correct I could purchase a business class ticket and not earn miles. I have never heard of paid business class tickets that don't have mileage accumulation.

https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/conten...table-by-class
That chart would apply if you were credited to Asiana - but you're not. Codeshare flights have a fare class that aligns with the Marketing Carrier - in this case it's AC P Class, but it's actually what AC's P Class maps to with OZ that matters.

In order to determine what the mileage earning is, you need to determine the equivalent OZ fare class. You can do that by calling Asiana and inquiring about your reservation, or by looking up your reservation on the Asiana website with their Locator#.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:56 pm

That is the whole point of a codeshare flight. It acts as its own flight therefore mileage accrual is based on the codeshare flight number. In this case P class would be AC's RBD and it would earn 150%
Old Oct 10, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by 1A_1K
That is the whole point of a codeshare flight. It acts as its own flight therefore mileage accrual is based on the codeshare flight number. In this case P class would be AC's RBD and it would earn 150%
If this were OneWorld, that would be a correct statement...Star Alliance is not the same, and therefore your statement is incorrect.
canadiancow and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by 1A_1K
I stand corrected.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
Flew SIN-ICN-YVR via AC and OZ (AC code share) in business 2 weeks ago, 014 ticket - 125% on SIN-ICN. AC ITN noted booked in P
FYI - AC code shares are pain, no online checkin for any segments including the AC ones. Could not pick a seat on the OZ flight even with the OZ locator.

Last edited by Aspan; Oct 11, 2019 at 12:03 pm Reason: wrong flight
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Thank you, that is a great claification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.