Search

Tracking you through the airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Tracking you through the airport

So it seems IBM has completed a project for AC, whereby they install iBeacons throughout the airport, and then anyone with the AC app is tracked as they roam around.

The GA gets a list of where everyone is, and can tell if you're at the gate, or in the lounge, or at check-in, or wherever.

It would also let them push more personalized messages to your device ("Move your butt out of the lounge, we're closing the door!").

Has anyone seen this in action? It's possible it hasn't been deployed yet, but the system has been built.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
This is both terrifying and awesome. Slightly more awesome than terrifying.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by yyckerr
This is both terrifying and awesome. Slightly more awesome than terrifying.
I'll go w/ terrifying!

I presume you have to have bluetooth or nfc enabled for it to work though and track you as opposed to wifi or your phone gps?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
I would presume that they will have figured out how to do it with wifi / gps.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

It's using iBeacons, so it uses Bluetooth.

I mean personally, I don't care. They can only do it when I'm in the airport, so whatever. They'll see me at check-in, in security, in the lounge, and at the gate. Big surprise
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:49 pm

Fascinating!!

brb, have an urge to watch Fifth Element for some reason.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So it seems IBM has completed a project for AC, whereby they install iBeacons throughout the airport, and then anyone with the AC app is tracked as they roam around.

The GA gets a list of where everyone is, and can tell if you're at the gate, or in the lounge, or at check-in, or wherever.

It would also let them push more personalized messages to your device ("Move your butt out of the lounge, we're closing the door!").

Has anyone seen this in action? It's possible it hasn't been deployed yet, but the system has been built.

Do any of the front line employees know about it?
Does it work in the lounge where the wifi doesn't function properly. (Just asking.)

From iQmetrix:
"On Dec. 10, Apple and IBM launched the first apps of their new partnership: enterprise iOS apps for companies like Citi, Air Canada, Sprint and Banorte.

"(The apps) allow for various functions covering flight planning, financial advice, customer retention, government case worker support and sales assistance, to name a few," wrote TechCrunch's Darrell Etherington (Dec. 10)."

http://www.iqmetrix.com/article/2014...ions-retailers

Bizweek had reported in August that SPG was testing it in hotels, MLB in ballparks

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...e-of-it-so-far
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Sounds like a big duplication of effort. Don't they already track us in the airport with cameras and facial recognition software? :P
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: *$ Green
AC Rep 1: "Do you see him? He is at the MLL... I wonder where he will go..."
AC Rep 2: "I'm not sure. Do you think he will go to gate 52?"
AC Rep 1: "This can't be."
AC Rep 2: "Release the hounds!"

*Meanwhile at the MLL*

Me (in the bathroom): "Eh. No TP in bathrooms again. Guess this iBeacon thing doesn't really work."
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Mr. Cow is right. There is enough security tracking. I believe the purpose here is either "stop eating in the MLL and get to the gate" or "hey, we want to sell you some stuff"

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
AC Rep 1: "Do you see him? He is at the MLL... I wonder where he will go..."
AC Rep 2: "I'm not sure. Do you think he will go to gate 52?"
AC Rep 1: "This can't be."
AC Rep 2: "Release the hounds!"

*Meanwhile at the MLL*

Me (in the bathroom): "Eh. No TP in bathrooms again. Guess this iBeacon thing doesn't really work."

ROTFLMAO
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I like it. A scalable way to provide personalized guidance - "Boarding in process" as long as it's not automated and actually tied to actions happening. Flew UA last week and was quite impressed with their push notifications.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
It's using iBeacons, so it uses Bluetooth.

I mean personally, I don't care. They can only do it when I'm in the airport, so whatever. They'll see me at check-in, in security, in the lounge, and at the gate. Big surprise
100%

Theoretically it could aid in OTP...so what isn't to like?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
Do any of the front line employees know about it?
Does it work in the lounge where the wifi doesn't function properly. (Just asking.)
I have no idea who knows about it, and you need internet access for the app to function at all.

But I don't work for IBM, I don't work for Air Canada, and aside from technology questions (I have a vague understanding of how mobile apps work), I don't really know much else

I saw a mock/screenshot (actually, looking at the accuracy of a lot of the data, and the fact that passenger names are blurred out, rather than just "John Doe", I'm thinking it's a screenshot) for the gate agent display (which will apparently be on an iPad), and among other things, it lists your status quite prominently

And the other two key pieces of information are whether you're currently at the gate, and whether you have been at the gate.

I think this could actually work quite well if they do something sensible with it.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I have no idea who knows about it, and you need internet access for the app to function at all.

But I don't work for IBM, I don't work for Air Canada, and aside from technology questions (I have a vague understanding of how mobile apps work), I don't really know much else

I saw a mock/screenshot (actually, looking at the accuracy of a lot of the data, and the fact that passenger names are blurred out, rather than just "John Doe", I'm thinking it's a screenshot) for the gate agent display (which will apparently be on an iPad), and among other things, it lists your status quite prominently

And the other two key pieces of information are whether you're currently at the gate, and whether you have been at the gate.

I think this could actually work quite well if they do something sensible with it.
1. Save picture
2. Delete exif data
3. Post on FT
4. ????
5. Profit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.