Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracking you through the airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
When I posted ONLY IF I GET AQMs !!!!!!! No free lunch, baby
I was making the point (through humor) that when companies want to modify consumer behavior or just plain get them to buy more stuff, they need to provide incentive.

Given this is the Air Canada Forum, well....you get my point
Then we should get AQM for the change in zonal boarding. Which for the record I'd be glad to take
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Wow Jayson. Just wow What year was OS7 out anyways?
I believe I upgraded to the 9810 from 9800 in 2011. I still have one more new in the box for when my current one breaks.

I'm in the process of transitioning from a 4S to a 6 Plus, and I regularly use a Z30 and Blackphone. So it's not like I'm stuck only in the dark ages.

Although there are days I still like to whip out my NEC L1 during conference lunches and dinners, the looks from people who know me well are priceless!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jaysona
I believe I upgraded to the 9810 from 9800 in 2011. I still have one more new in the box for when my current one breaks.

I'm in the process of transitioning from a 4S to a 6 Plus, and I regularly use a Z30 and Blackphone. So it's not like I'm stuck only in the dark ages.

Although there are days I still like to whip out my NEC L1 during conference lunches and dinners, the looks from people who know me well are priceless!
It's hard to **** a non electronic device * to protect sensitive info

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Jan 21, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:13 pm

Will AC finally invest some money into DataValet so that this will be usable in an MLL?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
DataValet

Originally Posted by SensFan
Will AC finally invest some money into DataValet so that this will be usable in an MLL?

You might want to check out this thread for that topic (it evolved from the RSS)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-rss-feed.html
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: *$ Green
That phone looks badass.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
My girlfriend's dad still has the Startac he bought himself when he retired. He also has still has a Palm Pilot.

And those of us still rocking BB OS7!
When we introduced BYOD this past summer legacy blackberries were the second most common device enrolled after the iPhone. One woman even has an original Blackberry Storm she won't give up.

Another woman came to my hardware lead after the labor day weekend where she lost her phone in the river absolutely distraught that the only legacy Blackberry device she could get from Verizon was the Curve 9310. When we gave her a box full of retired Blackberry Tours you would think we had just given her dying child an organ transplant.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:20 am
Flying Blue Director

Checked with IBM. This isn't true.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
Checked with IBM. This isn't true.
Well I can't really argue with that, but it only takes a few searches to see that, at the very least, something was being worked on for AC.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well I can't really argue with that, but it only takes a few searches to see that, at the very least, something was being worked on for AC.
And this info was out there in December, although not as specific as what Mr. Cow saw.

From TechCrunch

Apple And IBM Launching First Apps From Their Partnership Today
Posted Dec 10, 2014 by Darrell Etherington

"Apple and IBM’s enterprise partnership is resulting in its first outward-facing software today, with new apps in IBM’s MobileFirst for iOS making their way to iPhones and iPads at partner enterprises. These include apps built for Citi, Air Canada, Sprint and Banorte, and they allow for various functions covering flight planning, financial advice, customer retention, government case worker support and sales assistance, to name a few."

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/10/app...nership-today/

Apple & IBM Press Release Dec 10/ 2014

Quote:
"IBM clients today announcing support for IBM MobileFirst for iOS solutions include: Citi, Air Canada, Sprint and Banorte."

http://retailtechnologytrends.com/tag/ibeacon/
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:14 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Its on the internet, so it must be true, right?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:21 am

This is all fine if AC was honest with rescheduled times, which they purposley are not so as not to enrage passengers, hence the repeated updates.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Its on the internet, so it must be true, right?
Not everything I saw was on the internet.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:38 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Not everything I saw was on the internet.
I was kidding. But I couldn't help myself....
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by 24left
And this info was out there in December, although not as specific as what Mr. Cow saw.

From TechCrunch

Apple And IBM Launching First Apps From Their Partnership Today
Posted Dec 10, 2014 by Darrell Etherington

"Apple and IBM’s enterprise partnership is resulting in its first outward-facing software today, with new apps in IBM’s MobileFirst for iOS making their way to iPhones and iPads at partner enterprises. These include apps built for Citi, Air Canada, Sprint and Banorte, and they allow for various functions covering flight planning, financial advice, customer retention, government case worker support and sales assistance, to name a few."

http://techcrunch.com/2014/12/10/app...nership-today/

Apple & IBM Press Release Dec 10/ 2014

Quote:
"IBM clients today announcing support for IBM MobileFirst for iOS solutions include: Citi, Air Canada, Sprint and Banorte."

http://retailtechnologytrends.com/tag/ibeacon/
So, let me play a little bit of devils advocate here.

Bolded above are "Air Canada" "flight planning" and "customer retention"

Those may not be the proper associations for the wording though, perhaps "the customer retention" belongs with Citi and others that are mentioned in the article(s) and the "flight planning" and "Air Canada" do belong together.

If that's the case, then the iBeacon does make sense, since it would permit AC to track where flight crews are. Perhaps the current provider smart4aviation is being replaced by IBM or perhaps IBM has been engaged to work with smart4aviation to help with flight planning software and crew scheduling/tracking.

This is all pure speculation on my part, but just another avenue to consider given what Ben stated and what is written in the article(s).

It's quite easy to spin anything you read to suit your own needs, really.

Last edited by jaysona; Jan 22, 2015 at 1:12 pm Reason: bkaus eye jest kant spel - sumtymes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.