Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracking you through the airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think this could actually work quite well if they do something sensible with it.
Agreed.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:13 pm

I can just see it.....

"sir, don't you think 4 beers is enough already?? Go sit down and read something."
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
http://www.traveldailynews.com/news/article/60977
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Cool info. Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
the future is awesome.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:20 pm

I'm sure this won't affect many people. The GA would only be able to see the ~30% of the plane carrying an iPhone and the ~10% of them with their flight information and AC app being used...

Plus iBeacons make me sick. I can imagine walking through grocery stores and having ads (disguised as 'deals') sent to my phone. It would take all of 2 seconds for me to turn that off.

And once iBeacons are turned off, what miniscule percentage of the iPhone-toting pax with the AC app and with their flight itinerary in the app will turn on iBeacons just when going through the airport?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:20 pm
Suspended

You know I'm waiting for that post where someone writes:

"Oh sure. AC wants to track me in the airport but they can't seem to track down my bag"
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
I'm sure this won't affect many people. The GA would only be able to see the ~30% of the plane carrying an iPhone and the ~10% of them with their flight information and AC app being used...

Plus iBeacons make me sick. I can imagine walking through grocery stores and having ads (disguised as 'deals') sent to my phone. It would take all of 2 seconds for me to turn that off.

And once iBeacons are turned off, what miniscule percentage of the iPhone-toting pax with the AC app and with their flight itinerary in the app will turn on iBeacons just when going through the airport?
"iBeacons" may be an Apple product, but they're just little BTLE beacons that will work fine with Android. I know for a fact this system will work on the iOS and Android apps.

Those deals would only come up on your phone if you have the store's app though, right? I'll admit I'm not too well versed in how this works on iOS.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
You know I'm waiting for that post where someone writes:

"Oh sure. AC wants to track me in the airport but they can't seem to track down my bag"
Um, I think that someone is you... since you posted it just then
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyckerr
Um, I think that someone is you... since you posted it just then

LOLOLOLOL. Yup yup.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:33 pm
Suspended

"iBeacons" may be an Apple product, but they're just little BTLE beacons that will work fine with Android. I know for a fact this system will work on the iOS and Android apps.

Those deals would only come up on your phone if you have the store's app though, right? I'll admit I'm not too well versed in how this works on iOS.

From the Bizweek article i noted upthread:

"Some barriers to iBeacon adoption are falling away. Google (GOOG) has built more iBeacon functionality into the latest versions of Android."

and my favorite quote....
"Hillshire Brands (HSH) sees the promise of Apple’s (AAPL) iBeacon, software that’s been embedded in iOS 7 for a year. With iBeacon, Hillshire can track a shopper wheeling through a grocery store and send his iPhone a coupon or an ad for sausages just as he approaches the right cooler. Hillshire says consumers in 10 U.S. test cities who received iBeacon messages via apps such as recipe service Epicurious have been 20 times likelier to buy its American Craft sausages"

(I was thinking about how this concept applied to AC, pax and airports and I just started laughing. Sausages, right?)
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Are these the same IT geeks who send me departure time updates for delayed flights after I've boarded and turned my phone off? Or who can't seem to match the proper seat map with the type of aircraft they're claiming to operate?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:40 pm

At the rate AC updates its Android app I wouldn't be so sure that this feature will ever make it over I found an article which suggests Apple is purposefully making the spec difficult to be mirrored for use on Android devices anyway. I don't know enough about technology to know if this problem would require near-duplicate hardware throughout the airport.

I searched for info on how iBeacons work since none of the news articles I read in 2013 (when they were new) mentioned first downloading an app before walking around the Apple store. But it does seem like you need the app installed before messages can be received.

I therefore change my opinion to tentatively optimistic!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sopwith
Are these the same IT geeks who send me departure time updates for delayed flights after I've boarded and turned my phone off?

Aw, I love those
I have a collection. Best score so far: 6 for one flight.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Aw, I love those
I have a collection. Best score so far: 6 for one flight.
6? I usually don't receive any whenever I actually bother to subscribe... ;_; unloved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.