Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Access to the Montreal (YUL) International Maple Leaf Lounge™ (MLL)

Latest news, as per The Altitude Report, "October Edition", sent on November 1, 2017:

Our Montreal International Maple Leaf Lounge™ next to Gate 52 offers a peaceful, sophisticated place to relax before taking flight. As a friendly reminder, eligible customers who are departing on an international flight may access the lounge, regardless of the departure gate. Those departing on a domestic flight may only access the international lounge if their departure gate is between 50 and 68. They can also access the domestic Maple Leaf Lounge next to Gates 1 and 3.

An aside from yyznomad: (November 1, 2017)

From my own insider information, there was a recent meeting to discuss access to the YUL International MLL. It was to discuss access eligibility for domestic flights, due to overcrowding. I found this out due to an experience where I was flying out of Gate 50 on a domestic flight and was denied by both a lounge agent and a concierge seated next to him. After patiently waiting for them to reconfirm the rules, only upon my insistence, did they let me in. The agent vehemently advised that it was Gate 52 and higher and told me to talk to the concierge next to him. The concierge then asked the same agent what the rule was, and sided with the agent without verifying. Two days later, another agent apologized on their behalf for getting it wrong as it was still Gate 50 to 68. In any case, the rule still stands for gates 50-68.

Also, if you got in, but as an exception to the rules, then consider yourself simply as lucky.

So don't be afraid to stand your ground, with or without printed proof. So as long as you are eligible, stand your ground! You are most likely to get an agent who won't know the rules and wrongly turn you away.
Print Wikipost

YUL International MLL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
For the rumour any thoughts on timing? I recommended that a friend spend some extra time there before their flight and would be disappointed if they had to go to the crowded space upstairs without poutine and some better draft selections.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
For the rumour any thoughts on timing? I recommended that a friend spend some extra time there before their flight and would be disappointed if they had to go to the crowded space upstairs without poutine and some better draft selections.

According to the 1st post - it is slated to open Fall 2015
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Obviously, as SE, having something exclusive for SEs benefits me, but I'm not necessarily against SE plus paid J (or all J like zone 1?) if it doesn't dilute the experience
You'd have to look at the peak of int'l flights and add up all the J and SE's. My guess is in the evening when there is usually 5+ int'l AC flights it would be way too many PAX for that small an area.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by Dorian
It'll have to be + guest.

I'm in this space now. Just had the chicken stir fry they make per order, was quite good. When did all this pop up here? I've never seen an AC lounge have service like this...
Interesting, I'm connecting there to CDG on Monday, so I'll check it out.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
You'd have to look at the peak of int'l flights and add up all the J and SE's. My guess is in the evening when there is usually 5+ int'l AC flights it would be way too many PAX for that small an area.
+1. Montreal's got 5 or more TATL pretty much every day, mostly on 330s with 39J. Even with an average of 30 J, that's 150 pax you need to fit, plus all the SE in Y, plus various guests. Way too much for downstairs at YUL.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:02 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Interesting idea - I've haven't seen the newly renovated lounge or this new area with custom cooking, but can't wait for an SE-only lounge!

And yes, I'm biased towards making it SE-only
Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:15 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

I'll reiterate, since it appears I'm the only one...

AC recently renovated this area. Now, within 1 year, they're going to re-renovate and make an SE lounge?? In a city with less International traffic than the YYZ, where one assumes AC makes its bucks. Wouldn't it make more sense to build one in TO?

Am I the only one who fails to see the logic here, or is everyone blinded by the idea of an SE lounge that premise behind it is irrelevant?

Dorian, care to share where this info came from?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by PLeblond
AC recently renovated this area. Now, within 1 year, they're going to re-renovate and make an SE lounge?? In a city with less International traffic than the YYZ, where one assumes AC makes its bucks. Wouldn't it make more sense to build one in TO?
I'll second you on this one - it strikes me as a pretty silly decision (possibly based entirely on the fact that YUL is still nominally host to AC's HQ?).

While I absolutely believe Dorian was told this, if anything, we should all be upset at the waste of money that re-renovating a recently renovated lounge (along with the communications roll-out etc this would entail) is & how easily it could be spent more effectively - either for SE / J passengers specifically, or for all AC FFs.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: *$ Green

Am I the only one who fails to see the logic here, or is everyone blinded by the idea of an SE lounge that premise behind it is irrelevant?

But, with all due respect, since when is FT concerned with shareholder value?

I think the reaction of this thread is consistent with what I would expect... I would never expect complaints on extra money spent on a lounge from a group who (no everyone, but inherently) focuses entirely on squeezing maximum value out of the airlines.

The only complain I was expecting was "why YUL and not YYZ", which did appear. Now waiting on YVR YYC YRG shenanigans.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member

Maybe they aren't re-renovating that specific area since it is so new? Maybe just the dismal upstairs?

Info was MLL Int'l front desk guy, who has been there a while, along with a Concierge.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

I don't understand why anyone would be surprised they would do this in YUL first. I would entirely expect it. Maybe their crack Quebec marketing team will do something entirely retarded to announce it...?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Maybe that's exactly why they did it there. Try it in a market with a lot of international traffic, but not a huge amount, so you don't disrupt the area "where one assumes AC makes its bucks"

If successful, they do it in YYZ and YVR. If not, they haven't disrupted much.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:08 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Maybe that's exactly why they did it there. Try it in a market with a lot of international traffic, but not a huge amount, so you don't disrupt the area "where one assumes AC makes its bucks"

If successful, they do it in YYZ and YVR. If not, they haven't disrupted much.
Follows the lines I was thinking; and in YYZ, where would they do such a trial right now? For only domestic, transborder, or international?

Sounds like they see an opening for a small test based on what Dorian mentioned about YUL "oweing" them a bit.

Plus, YUL would be smaller traffic to test this out, rather than possibly causing sizeable disruptions in the center of Canada, YYZ.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I remember in HKG, CX has two distinct lounges for its Business Class and First Class passengers. If you're One World top tier (SE equiv), can you get into the First Class lounge? I guess this would further add onto our resident cow's question of if you're 1K can you get into the GF lounge. Hmm. I know BR has their own top tier (SE equiv) lounge at TPE...not even J pax can get in.
The BR Diamond lounge is the "Garden" just outside the regular Laurel lounge. Nothing special. I found it to be sort of dark and noisier than the Laurel. They have a short order cook on premises who cooks up various soups & noodles. One difference between Asian lounges and MLL is that the guests are not prone to stuffing themselves or drinking in excess. I noticed this in the KLM and AF lounges too, in that the guests don't descend on the food like the locusts of the MLL.
It is nice that the SE will get something, but as a J fare pax, I hope I get something too. Last year when I was in the YUL Int'l MLL, it was crowded and the food dishes were bare. I did score a bag of Miss Vickies though. I thank AC for acknowledging my $5600 purchase and providing a complimentary bag of crisps. In fairness, the MLL are luxurious compared to TG's decrepit holding pens with their tuna fish sandwiches that often smell a bit off.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Absolute
... causing sizeable disruptions in the center of Canada, YYZ.
My vote for best line of the day.

(I'd follow it up with something amusing about YYZ, but then someone would get all hot and bothered.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.