Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada takes on WestJet with holiday video of its own

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle21912798/

WestJet Airlines Ltd. is having a happy holiday season. Not only will its planes soon be full with travelers paying peak-period prices to see their families at Christmas, but its latest campaign has drawn more than 1.5 million views in just two days. And its biggest competitor has decided it wants in on the action.

On Wednesday, Air Canada released its own Christmas video featuring two pilots surprising a bar full of Canadians in London, England, with tickets home for the holidays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Yv...re=youtu.be%20
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
I wonder who folks think is more deserving. A poor, underprivileged village in the Dominican (WS beneficiaries) or a bunch of ex-pat Canadians drinking in a bar in London (AC beneficiaries).

Last edited by Geoflying; Dec 3, 2014 at 1:46 pm Reason: Add URLs
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Geoflying
I wonder who folks think is more deserving. A poor, underprivileged village in the Dominican (WS beneficiaries) or a bunch of ex-pat Canadians drinking in a bar in London (AC beneficiaries).
From a marketing perspective, at Christmas, AC isn't looking to compare with Westjet on a who-is-more-deserving basis, but rather making a connection with a middle class audience - the bulk of its clientele - by associating them with the joys of a family reunion.

Both videos have merit in their own right.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:45 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Not bad.

Obviously last years' Westjet ad was a home-run that went even beyond the airline industry. No one is topping that.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but part of me wished they would have gone down another path.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sebring
From a marketing perspective, at Christmas, AC isn't looking to compare with Westjet on a who-is-more-deserving basis, but rather making a connection with a middle class audience - the bulk of its clientele - by associating them with the joys of a family reunion.
Clearly...assuming that the bulk of its clientele are not disposed to feel particularly generous towards those less privileged than themselves
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:50 pm

Clearly...assuming that bulk of its clientele are not particularly generous towards those less privileged than themselves
So would you say the same last's years Westjet ad to "regular" Canadians?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
So would you say the same last's years Westjet ad to "regular" Canadians?
I would actually with 20/20 hindsight - except that last year there was not any competitive factor involved in the campaign whereas this year there clearly is a "me too" thing at play. AC just decided to copy WS's effort from last year - their choice - I just know which one gave me more "warm fuzzies"
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I just know which one gave me more "warm fuzzies"

I don't want warm fuzzies. I want free stuff. Oh wait, wrong forum
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:57 pm

I would actually with 20/20 hindsight - except that last year there was not any competitive factor involved in the campaign whereas this year there clearly is a "me too" thing at play. AC just decided to copy WS's effort from last year - their choice - I just know which one gave me more "warm fuzzies"
I agree that last year's WS ad was amazing. Above and beyond the airline industry. Touché.

I though this year's WS ad as kind of... Meh. OK it was only possible to go downhill from last years, but I also wished they would have gone in another direction. Just like I wished AC had gone in a different direction.

But calling out AC for rewarding a bunch of Canadians in a bar, while saying WS is better, when last year WS rewarded a bunch of regular Canadians on a flight is not exactly fair.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: 35 K
I would just like it if Air Canada could get me to where I was going at Christmas. For 2 years in a row I have lost 2 days each year due to Air Canada mechanical problems from YYC.
What good is a free flight if you can not get to where you are going.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC*E, BA, KL
I watched that video thinking, why do I never go to the Maple Leaf? I would have love to have a free round trip ticket back to Canada for the holidays. But then, I remember how annoyed I am for them gutting their frequent flyer program & they way they treat people who pay to fly their planes with complete contempt. Sorry, call me Scrooge, but I'm not feeling it.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold

At the risk of being chastised and labeled an apologist. I liked the video and thought it was a nice touch and well done.

So what if it may have been inspired by West Jet. They made a lot of people happy and did it in a very creative way.

Sure AC is not perfect, but really no can acknowledge when they do something good?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
I see the logic here. AC is repeatedly telling us they benchmark against the competitors.
Others do, AC follows.
WS does bag fees, AC copies it.
WS does Christmas videos, AC copies it.
Wondering who is the follower and who is the leader in the airline industry in Canada?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by 24left
I don't want warm fuzzies. I want free stuff. Oh wait, wrong forum
PM me your address (or PO box)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The gesture from AC is nice but the video is not exciting or imaginative. Nothing will beat last year's Westjet video. This year's Westjet edition is okay and responds to critics who last year said perhaps the whole thing was missing a charitable component. I think AC could have made their attempt more exciting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.