Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada takes on WestJet with holiday video of its own

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada takes on WestJet with holiday video of its own

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the pilots and flight attendants models ?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:25 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Are the pilots and flight attendants models ?
Judging by the francophone accent on Pilot #2, I would think not.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Judging by the francophone accent on Pilot #2, I would think not.
Models can't be Francophones ?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:59 pm

Models can't be Francophones ?
Yes, they can. But that did not sound like a "professional" accent. Had they hired actors, I would think they would have hired better actors. The guys playing the pilots seems perfectly uncomfortable in a crowd so it looked legit to me.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm taking this one at face value. AC did something nice for a bunch of people.

Good on AC! ^
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Yes, they can. But that did not sound like a "professional" accent. Had they hired actors, I would think they would have hired better actors. The guys playing the pilots seems perfectly uncomfortable in a crowd so it looked legit to me.
What about the FA were they good or bad actors, and were they real FA?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:20 pm

What about the FA were they good or bad actors, and were they real FA?
Didn't really notice.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:28 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
I'm not a marketing/PR/advertising expert (though Ms. JBB is), but my problem with this ad is that it is so obviously derivative of Westjet's campaign. And, what's worse is that it isn't even as good in terms of execution or production as Westjet's (either last year's or this year's).

As AC already has a brand image problem with many average Canadians, the risk with an ad like this, is that it furthers the cynicism people associate with the brand. ie. that AC is unoriginal (for copying Westjet), behind the times (this ad came out after WS already put out 2 similar ads), and not as competent or creative (production values on WS ads were much higher).

I don't consider myself an AC-hater, but I'm pretty disappointed with this ad. AC had an opportunity to try something fresh and original, but this just seems late, uncreative and not well executed which unfortunately does reflect back on the brand as a whole and management in specific.

Good on the patrons of the Maple Leaf for scoring free tickets though!

Last edited by jbb; Dec 3, 2014 at 7:40 pm
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I've been past the Maple Leaf pub and looked at the menu and I didn't think that it offered anything particularly "Canadian" it looked much like the pub grub at many other pubs in the UK. Aside from a few flags for decoration it didn't feel Canadian to me. Wasn't enough to tempt me to have a meal there.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sebring
From a marketing perspective, at Christmas, AC isn't looking to compare with Westjet on a who-is-more-deserving basis, but rather making a connection with a middle class audience - the bulk of its clientele - by associating them with the joys of a family reunion.

Both videos have merit in their own right.
Expatriates living in London, England=middle class Canadians......ROTFL ! I am sure coffee bean will be by to set you straight ! LOL
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
The damage is done to AC's name and credibility, no matter what tactics they employ it will not work.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:39 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I've been past the Maple Leaf pub and looked at the menu and I didn't think that it offered anything particularly "Canadian" it looked much like the pub grub at many other pubs in the UK. Aside from a few flags for decoration it didn't feel Canadian to me. Wasn't enough to tempt me to have a meal there.
Haha yup. I lived in London for 6 years. Walked into the Maple Leaf once, had one beer and walked straight out never to return. Never really understood any of the charms or attractions of the Maple Leaf, and from my experience with other Canadian ex-pats in London, they all felt the same.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
A nice video on AC's part and it's a wonderful gesture! It's too bad AC's video is not getting nearly the traffic and attention the WS videos have garnered. From a marketing perspective, it maybe did not attract enough eyeballs to justify the cost. Although it could yet go viral.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:24 pm

Well the haters are really out tonight.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: AC2MM SE Fairmont Presidents club
Originally Posted by upgradesecret
Well the haters are really out tonight.
I disagree with you. When I first saw the video and how quickly it was done it was clear not much thought had gone into it. It was very lame. An embarrassment as far as I'm concerned, and as someone else posted, a derivative of the ws campaign. For the record, I'm not a hater

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.