Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by vernonc
They can board in 25 mins because :
1) They generally have ample boarding space to line people up seperately
2) They have adequate staff
3) Their staff strictly enforce their boarding protocol in a friendly way.
4) Customers seem to carry lesser hand bags and follow instructions well.
5) They care.
I think airport design is a big part of this. It has been a few year since I have traveled in Asia. However I remember Narita, Taipei, Honk Kong, and Shanghai to all be airports where AC uses gates in concourses of the airport intended for wide-body aircraft where there is no shortage or room to both line up and also to be seated.

Even domestically YVR has gates that are well designed and neighboring flights don't bump into each other. Gates 43, 44,45 is a good example. The counters at these gates are parallel and don't create collisions. The one exception to YVR is that silly gate behind the restaurant, 47. I was there earlier this week boarding a high density 777-300. Lines stretched around the restaurant and once the lineups curve good luck figuring out if you are in the Zone 3, 4 or 5.

YYZ is poorly designed on many fronts including its gates. Coming back from Toronto last week, I was boarding at 40, you have support pullers and garbage bins that force all the lines to merge together and passengers getting onto 39 running into the lines for 40. I was boarding a A321 (a fairly large narrow body).

They need to abandon the zone nonsense where they cant physically cant make it work.
eigenvector and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by jc94
Well yes LHR T2 has a lovely system, it has four lines clearly divided with gates at the front, Z1, Z2, everyone else and they open them in that order. It's a bit like being cattle. I seem to recall AMS doing something similar though it's been a while. But that's more on the airport than the airline.
It's a spectacular system when you're in zone 1 or 2. But when you're in zone 3 and you arrive well before boarding to tightly penned line of a hundred 4 and 5, it's a little more discouraging.

The place that REALLY shines at zone boarding is BDA, with a whole separate gate for zones 1 and 2. No fuss no muss. Not to mention boarding from both the front and rear of the plane makes things remarkably painless. In that way it's almost a shame that they're replacing the terminal.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:45 pm

Met guy in lounge, chatted about work . Get to gate, he's all confused. He doesn't know about zones.

He's zone 1, in economy. That means he's super elite. How do these people exist? Anyway, not going to contact him after the fact for a contract I am looking to hire for.

​​
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Met guy in lounge, chatted about work . Get to gate, he's all confused. He doesn't know about zones.

He's zone 1, in economy. That means he's super elite. How do these people exist? Anyway, not going to contact him after the fact for a contract I am looking to hire for.

​​
I'm surprised you are surprised. I know of plenty SE friends who travel in Y who board in a zone other than 1. Please keep in mind we are the 1% here on FT.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I'm surprised you are surprised. I know of plenty SE friends who travel in Y who board in a zone other than 1. Please keep in mind we are the 1% here on FT.
There's nothing wrong in boarding whenever you please. I sometimes board after zone 5.

But to be SE and not know what zones are... They announce it numerous times before every flight. How can you be SE and have no idea what a zone is?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
There's nothing wrong in boarding whenever you please. I sometimes board after zone 5.

But to be SE and not know what zones are...
Are there SEs who don't know they have SE status, perhaps?
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.

​​
Uhm... could he be traveling with some one else who is actually a SE?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum

​​
Aeroplan ticket redeemed from an SE's account? I know that bug is supposed to be fixed, but last week I flew with a friend who had a ticket on his SE MM dad's points and he was Zone 1 and got into the MLL without me guesting him.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Aeroplan ticket redeemed from an SE's account? I know that bug is supposed to be fixed, but last week I flew with a friend who had a ticket on his SE MM dad's points and he was Zone 1 and got into the MLL without me guesting him.
Last name match?
First initial?
First name?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Last name match?
First initial?
First name?
Last name & first initial.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Last name & first initial.
You know, AC's inability to distinguish between two J Smith's isn't exactly comforting.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jc94
You know, AC's inability to distinguish between two J Smith's isn't exactly comforting.
It is for the son with the same first initial and last name as the SE who used AE points for the son's flight.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
After a busy couple months of travel, I have some observations:

1 - Most stations seem to be doing better with calling Z1 and Z2 separately, and also waiting for those needing extra time until Z2 is done. Very impressed here.

2 - Z2 is generally huge, even on narrowbodies. I think this will become even worse over the summer as more and more CC holders use points for family trips. Seems silly to group *G, E75K, and someone who never flies but has an AC branded CC together.

3 - Z3 seems to be huge too. Now that Preferred seats, P25K and Comfort fares all get Z3 as well, it seems to be a massive group. Makes me wonder how many people are actually left after Z3!

4 - AC IT still can't manage to group people on the same reservation together. Flew with family in early june - checked in at desk both ways. All got Z2 there, but back, I got Z2, they got Z5. Agent claimed there was nothing she could do, it was automatic. MLL agent said the same thing, and I had to tell the GA who let us all on together.

I think that ideally, AC would have zones like this on all mainline flights.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by nave888
After a busy couple months of travel, I have some observations:

1 - Most stations seem to be doing better with calling Z1 and Z2 separately, and also waiting for those needing extra time until Z2 is done. Very impressed here.

2 - Z2 is generally huge, even on narrowbodies. I think this will become even worse over the summer as more and more CC holders use points for family trips. Seems silly to group *G, E75K, and someone who never flies but has an AC branded CC together.

3 - Z3 seems to be huge too. Now that Preferred seats, P25K and Comfort fares all get Z3 as well, it seems to be a massive group. Makes me wonder how many people are actually left after Z3!

4 - AC IT still can't manage to group people on the same reservation together. Flew with family in early june - checked in at desk both ways. All got Z2 there, but back, I got Z2, they got Z5. Agent claimed there was nothing she could do, it was automatic. MLL agent said the same thing, and I had to tell the GA who let us all on together.

I think that ideally, AC would have zones like this on all mainline flights.
Re: #4 . I believe it has been like this since since Air Canada introduced zonal boarding, and the proper way to resolve this issue is to exactly do as you did.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:43 pm

Check in online. Then you can force the system to do it all at once, and I've never had that fail.

With agents it's depended on how they do it. There's clearly a right way and a wrong way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.