Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page > FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 15, 8:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jerryhung
Wiki Link
Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

Please note
This thread is meant for only posting valid and booked mini-RTW, not for general mini-RTW questions which belong in the Mini RTW Questions.

Those new to the whole mini-RTW award please post in the FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Original List of booked/valid Mini-RTW 1.0 (before 10/29/2014)
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Nov 11, 17, 10:30 pm
  #511
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: Infinitely Pointless AP 35k, SQ Gold, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 3,480
Tried to max out the miles, but after seeing the post above I just know I'll never figure out YQ, let alone the fees/taxes, which I know are extra high at some airports but man...

Really wanted to fly some products I've never tried before, there's a nested paid flight in here as well, so that put a bit of a wrench in things.

YVR-PEK Air China J
PEK-IST Turkish J Turn
IST-LJU Turkish J < 24
LJU-CDG Adria JSTOP Nested paid trip CDG-YVR-CDG
CDG-WAW-IEV LOT J Stop
KBP-ZRH Swiss J < 24
ZRH-ORD Swiss J
ORD-YVR Air Canada J (it's a CRJ-705, so it's not great, but I do love the single seats)

Total cost was $405 CAD + $31 for booking. I was told that only like $90 of that was YQ which at least made me happy, though even that is high considering there's literally only 1 flight that incurs it.

As far as MPM goes, YVR-IST MPM is 9920, my YVR-PEK-IST is 9697, couldn't route through any other city, would've preferred to fly CA 747, but I've never flown CA so either way I'll get to cross it off the list. My route home, IST-LJU-CDG-WAW-IEV/KBP-ZRH-ORD-YVR was 9918, really pushed it. I wated to try and get < 24 at TIA, couldn't do it, any other route home would've forced me to dump KBP in favor of something else. Couldn't get a single seat for like 6 days, J or Y from ORD-YVR on UA. As much as I hate that $90 of scam charge, I'm lucky that AC had a seat that day cuz for ORD-YVR to ruin this whole thing would've been a real p-off. I had built an entire itinerary needing to just find YVR-EWR and IAD-YVR (open to connections) and couldn't get a bloody seat on UA. I'll never figure United availability, it comes and goes with the wind, seems like domestic/transborder availability is never there at the same time as INTL availability.
drvannostren is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 17, 10:43 pm
  #512
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: Infinitely Pointless AP 35k, SQ Gold, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 3,480
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
YQ from Tokyo is capped, and intra Asia is low / zero even on TG. So this is actually about the right amount. Departing Japan is very cost effective in YQ these days!
Except, I was quoted in the past that YQ is charged on the whole itinerary. So when I had all my flights as no YQ, I still got dinged for old TG YQ or something. Also I had YVR-PDX-EWR-LHR-BKK and they wanted like $250 (of YQ alone), I turned this one down cuz it was simply ridiculous, I could've had the YVR-PDX flight in cash <$250 but starting in PDX would've ruined my MPM. I read the blogs, read the rules, hell I knew about the TG change and the new stipulation for OZ, which the agent kept asking "where did you hear about that huh?" I give up, I was pretty satisfied with my booking today and knowing that most of it was just cuz of how many airport taxes I'm paying, I'm ok with the price, I'll never understand.

Also, you mentioned YQ from Tokyo is capped. But this person isn't flying FROM Tokyo, they're flying to a bunch of place and Tokyo. If you check YYZ-GRU-YYZ you'll get $260 YQ. But if you try GRU-YYZ-GRU it's only $30 (though Brazil has no YQ, so I'm not sure how they even charge $15 each way) so I don't see how going to Tokyo affects it if you're not originating from there.
drvannostren is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 17, 10:49 pm
  #513
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 5,537
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Except, I was quoted in the past that YQ is charged on the whole itinerary. So when I had all my flights as no YQ, I still got dinged for old TG YQ or something. Also I had YVR-PDX-EWR-LHR-BKK and they wanted like $250 (of YQ alone), I turned this one down cuz it was simply ridiculous, I could've had the YVR-PDX flight in cash <$250 but starting in PDX would've ruined my MPM. I read the blogs, read the rules, hell I knew about the TG change and the new stipulation for OZ, which the agent kept asking "where did you hear about that huh?" I give up, I was pretty satisfied with my booking today and knowing that most of it was just cuz of how many airport taxes I'm paying, I'm ok with the price, I'll never understand.

Also, you mentioned YQ from Tokyo is capped. But this person isn't flying FROM Tokyo, they're flying to a bunch of place and Tokyo. If you check YYZ-GRU-YYZ you'll get $260 YQ. But if you try GRU-YYZ-GRU it's only $30 (though Brazil has no YQ, so I'm not sure how they even charge $15 each way) so I don't see how going to Tokyo affects it if you're not originating from there.
What OZ stipulation?

YQ calculation is a bit of a black box but he's stopping in Tokyo which breaks the fare. If he stopped in ICN, for instance, it would have priced much higher.

In your GRU example the reason YYZ GRU YYZ doesn't work is because the fare begins in YYZ and it's the return part of it. In a RTW example because they can't really set them up as "return" trips, they end up pricing them stop to stop more or less. Also remember that it's all priced manually so who even knows for sure.
Pseudo Nim is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 17, 11:38 pm
  #514
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: Infinitely Pointless AP 35k, SQ Gold, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 3,480
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
What OZ stipulation?

YQ calculation is a bit of a black box but he's stopping in Tokyo which breaks the fare. If he stopped in ICN, for instance, it would have priced much higher.

In your GRU example the reason YYZ GRU YYZ doesn't work is because the fare begins in YYZ and it's the return part of it. In a RTW example because they can't really set them up as "return" trips, they end up pricing them stop to stop more or less. Also remember that it's all priced manually so who even knows for sure.
This is exactly the problem. The fact that neither of us can say black/white what is and what isn't makes this whole thing a bit ridiculous lol. Every so often I've wanted to get through the whole process then HUACA and see if the next agent gives me the same YQ.

The OZ stipulation (was too lazy to find it during the original post) is that flights FROM Korea don't incur YQ. Thai now is anything to/from/within Thailand that shouldn't have YQ. But I suppose if there's a 5th freedom route they operate that it would.
drvannostren is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 17, 5:25 am
  #515
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YVR to SEA
Posts: 2,115
Stopping in Hong Kong doesn't stop YQ from occurring, had to use it as actual destination. This was a trip booked a couple year ago that we took 15 months ago though
crimsona is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 10:07 pm
  #516
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: YEG
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Also, you mentioned YQ from Tokyo is capped. But this person isn't flying FROM Tokyo, they're flying to a bunch of place and Tokyo. If you check YYZ-GRU-YYZ you'll get $260 YQ. But if you try GRU-YYZ-GRU it's only $30 (though Brazil has no YQ, so I'm not sure how they even charge $15 each way) so I don't see how going to Tokyo affects it if you're not originating from there.
Somehow it works, having TYO as a stop... I'm not complaining! I do know if I took AC from HKG (with it as a stop as I had wanted), layover in TYO, YQ would have been quite a bit of $$$.
JCYC5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 17, 2:06 am
  #517
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 5,537
Originally Posted by JCYC5 View Post
Somehow it works, having TYO as a stop... I'm not complaining! I do know if I took AC from HKG (with it as a stop as I had wanted), layover in TYO, YQ would have been quite a bit of $$$.
Hmm. Shouldn't be. HKG also caps their YQ pretty severely.
Pseudo Nim is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 17, 2:53 pm
  #518
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: amex, Aeroplan
Posts: 2
My mini rtw is now booked in business class.

This route is valid:

YUL ZRH Swiss business (layover of 16 hours), we will visit the city)
ZRH HKG Swiss business (1stop)
HKG TPE Eva Economy (2nd stop)
TPE BKK Eva Business (destination)
BKK PEK Air China Business
PEK EWR Air china Business
EWR YUL Air canada Economy

Aeroplan agent fee for 2 : $68.98 CAD
Fees for the trip for 2: $428.30 CAD

Just the first segment worth $11 000 CAD by ticket!
Amex MR and Aerplan are great!!
merien36 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 2:03 am
  #519
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: Infinitely Pointless AP 35k, SQ Gold, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 3,480
Originally Posted by merien36 View Post
My mini rtw is now booked in business class.

This route is valid:

YUL ZRH Swiss business (layover of 16 hours), we will visit the city)
ZRH HKG Swiss business (1stop)
HKG TPE Eva Economy (2nd stop)
TPE BKK Eva Business (destination)
BKK PEK Air China Business
PEK EWR Air china Business
EWR YUL Air canada Economy

Aeroplan agent fee for 2 : $68.98 CAD
Fees for the trip for 2: $428.30 CAD

Just the first segment worth $11 000 CAD by ticket!
Amex MR and Aerplan are great!!
It's hard to find REAL values for trips like this. I tried to price mine out and ITA exploded. I priced them out 1 by 1 and it was like $30k+ which no one would ever pay.

But that's not why I'm posting!

Just in case you didn't know, keep your eyes peeled for PEK-YUL-HAV, I'm sure it'd be nicer to get that direct flight if possible. If you have EF you can set up that alert, works like a charm, just fixed my AS award yesterday after I got an alert .
drvannostren is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:00 am
  #520
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 5,537
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
It's hard to find REAL values for trips like this. I tried to price mine out and ITA exploded. I priced them out 1 by 1 and it was like $30k+ which no one would ever pay.

But that's not why I'm posting!

Just in case you didn't know, keep your eyes peeled for PEK-YUL-HAV, I'm sure it'd be nicer to get that direct flight if possible. If you have EF you can set up that alert, works like a charm, just fixed my AS award yesterday after I got an alert .
Or SHA-YUL.
Pseudo Nim is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:41 am
  #521
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: YYZ-ish
Programs: *void
Posts: 2,100
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Just in case you didn't know, keep your eyes peeled for PEK-YUL-HAV, I'm sure it'd be nicer to get that direct flight if possible. If you have EF you can set up that alert, works like a charm, just fixed my AS award yesterday after I got an alert .
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Or SHA-YUL.
If I catch your drift, you mean to say that PEK-YUL may not show up as available, but searching for PEK-HAV or SHA-PEK, may give results for PEK-YUL-HAV or SHA-PEK-YUL, so then you can call in and get an agent to find the PEK-YUL segment to make the swap for $100 change fee?
JJonahJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:59 am
  #522
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: amex, Aeroplan
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by JJonahJ View Post
If I catch your drift, you mean to say that PEK-YUL may not show up as available, but searching for PEK-HAV or SHA-PEK, may give results for PEK-YUL-HAV or SHA-PEK-YUL, so then you can call in and get an agent to find the PEK-YUL segment to make the swap for $100 change fee?
Hello!

My return date is March 5 , but i'm flexible for the March 4 aswell.
I checked on united and ana seach engine for PEK-YUL-HAV and their is nothing

SHA-YUL nothing direct
merien36 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 3:12 pm
  #523
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YVR to SEA
Posts: 2,115
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Hmm. Shouldn't be. HKG also caps their YQ pretty severely.
I have never gotten HKG to work when it's only a stop over

Only when it's the point of turnaround do I really cut the YQ
crimsona is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 17, 4:58 pm
  #524
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: YUL
Programs: Occasional RTW club
Posts: 5,537
Originally Posted by JJonahJ View Post
If I catch your drift, you mean to say that PEK-YUL may not show up as available, but searching for PEK-HAV or SHA-PEK, may give results for PEK-YUL-HAV or SHA-PEK-YUL, so then you can call in and get an agent to find the PEK-YUL segment to make the swap for $100 change fee?
Yup. Sorry, was writing on the go so wasn't too detailed. SHA-YUL might pull up the direct AC flight or the connection via PEK. Very often the direct PEK-xxx flights on CA do not come up - I've previously been unable to book PEK-SVO direct, but looking up PEK-ARN came up with PEK-SVO-ARN, and then I had the agent direct book it. So when you search try searching for connections.
Pseudo Nim is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 17, 6:32 am
  #525
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: Infinitely Pointless AP 35k, SQ Gold, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 3,480
Oh see all I meant was "Hey don't forget there's a new PEK-YUL flight" so he/she might be able to skip that pesky Newark leg. That's all I meant I haven't had that issue with CA flights not showing, but then I also use Expertflyer for most of my searching.
drvannostren is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:27 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.