Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page > FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 11, 15, 8:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jerryhung
Wiki Link
Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

Please note
This thread is meant for only posting valid and booked mini-RTW, not for general mini-RTW questions which belong in the Mini RTW Questions.

Those new to the whole mini-RTW award please post in the FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Original List of booked/valid Mini-RTW 1.0 (before 10/29/2014)
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 11, 17, 10:30 pm

Programs: Infinitely Pointless AP 35k, SQ Gold, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Tried to max out the miles, but after seeing the post above I just know I'll never figure out YQ, let alone the fees/taxes, which I know are extra high at some airports but man...

Really wanted to fly some products I've never tried before, there's a nested paid flight in here as well, so that put a bit of a wrench in things.

YVR-PEK Air China J
PEK-IST Turkish J Turn
IST-LJU Turkish J < 24
LJU-CDG Adria JSTOP Nested paid trip CDG-YVR-CDG
CDG-WAW-IEV LOT J Stop
KBP-ZRH Swiss J < 24
ZRH-ORD Swiss J
ORD-YVR Air Canada J (it's a CRJ-705, so it's not great, but I do love the single seats)

Total cost was $405 CAD + $31 for booking. I was told that only like $90 of that was YQ which at least made me happy, though even that is high considering there's literally only 1 flight that incurs it.

As far as MPM goes, YVR-IST MPM is 9920, my YVR-PEK-IST is 9697, couldn't route through any other city, would've preferred to fly CA 747, but I've never flown CA so either way I'll get to cross it off the list. My route home, IST-LJU-CDG-WAW-IEV/KBP-ZRH-ORD-YVR was 9918, really pushed it. I wated to try and get < 24 at TIA, couldn't do it, any other route home would've forced me to dump KBP in favor of something else. Couldn't get a single seat for like 6 days, J or Y from ORD-YVR on UA. As much as I hate that $90 of scam charge, I'm lucky that AC had a seat that day cuz for ORD-YVR to ruin this whole thing would've been a real p-off. I had built an entire itinerary needing to just find YVR-EWR and IAD-YVR (open to connections) and couldn't get a bloody seat on UA. I'll never figure United availability, it comes and goes with the wind, seems like domestic/transborder availability is never there at the same time as INTL availability.
Old Nov 11, 17, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
YQ from Tokyo is capped, and intra Asia is low / zero even on TG. So this is actually about the right amount. Departing Japan is very cost effective in YQ these days!
Except, I was quoted in the past that YQ is charged on the whole itinerary. So when I had all my flights as no YQ, I still got dinged for old TG YQ or something. Also I had YVR-PDX-EWR-LHR-BKK and they wanted like $250 (of YQ alone), I turned this one down cuz it was simply ridiculous, I could've had the YVR-PDX flight in cash <$250 but starting in PDX would've ruined my MPM. I read the blogs, read the rules, hell I knew about the TG change and the new stipulation for OZ, which the agent kept asking "where did you hear about that huh?" I give up, I was pretty satisfied with my booking today and knowing that most of it was just cuz of how many airport taxes I'm paying, I'm ok with the price, I'll never understand.

Also, you mentioned YQ from Tokyo is capped. But this person isn't flying FROM Tokyo, they're flying to a bunch of place and Tokyo. If you check YYZ-GRU-YYZ you'll get $260 YQ. But if you try GRU-YYZ-GRU it's only $30 (though Brazil has no YQ, so I'm not sure how they even charge $15 each way) so I don't see how going to Tokyo affects it if you're not originating from there.
Old Nov 11, 17, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Except, I was quoted in the past that YQ is charged on the whole itinerary. So when I had all my flights as no YQ, I still got dinged for old TG YQ or something. Also I had YVR-PDX-EWR-LHR-BKK and they wanted like $250 (of YQ alone), I turned this one down cuz it was simply ridiculous, I could've had the YVR-PDX flight in cash <$250 but starting in PDX would've ruined my MPM. I read the blogs, read the rules, hell I knew about the TG change and the new stipulation for OZ, which the agent kept asking "where did you hear about that huh?" I give up, I was pretty satisfied with my booking today and knowing that most of it was just cuz of how many airport taxes I'm paying, I'm ok with the price, I'll never understand.

Also, you mentioned YQ from Tokyo is capped. But this person isn't flying FROM Tokyo, they're flying to a bunch of place and Tokyo. If you check YYZ-GRU-YYZ you'll get $260 YQ. But if you try GRU-YYZ-GRU it's only $30 (though Brazil has no YQ, so I'm not sure how they even charge $15 each way) so I don't see how going to Tokyo affects it if you're not originating from there.
What OZ stipulation?

YQ calculation is a bit of a black box but he's stopping in Tokyo which breaks the fare. If he stopped in ICN, for instance, it would have priced much higher.

In your GRU example the reason YYZ GRU YYZ doesn't work is because the fare begins in YYZ and it's the return part of it. In a RTW example because they can't really set them up as "return" trips, they end up pricing them stop to stop more or less. Also remember that it's all priced manually so who even knows for sure.
Old Nov 11, 17, 11:38 pm

What OZ stipulation?

YQ calculation is a bit of a black box but he's stopping in Tokyo which breaks the fare. If he stopped in ICN, for instance, it would have priced much higher.

In your GRU example the reason YYZ GRU YYZ doesn't work is because the fare begins in YYZ and it's the return part of it. In a RTW example because they can't really set them up as "return" trips, they end up pricing them stop to stop more or less. Also remember that it's all priced manually so who even knows for sure.
This is exactly the problem. The fact that neither of us can say black/white what is and what isn't makes this whole thing a bit ridiculous lol. Every so often I've wanted to get through the whole process then HUACA and see if the next agent gives me the same YQ.

The OZ stipulation (was too lazy to find it during the original post) is that flights FROM Korea don't incur YQ. Thai now is anything to/from/within Thailand that shouldn't have YQ. But I suppose if there's a 5th freedom route they operate that it would.
Old Nov 12, 17, 5:25 am

Stopping in Hong Kong doesn't stop YQ from occurring, had to use it as actual destination. This was a trip booked a couple year ago that we took 15 months ago though
Old Nov 13, 17, 10:07 pm

Somehow it works, having TYO as a stop... I'm not complaining! I do know if I took AC from HKG (with it as a stop as I had wanted), layover in TYO, YQ would have been quite a bit of $$$.
Old Nov 14, 17, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JCYC5 View Post
Somehow it works, having TYO as a stop... I'm not complaining! I do know if I took AC from HKG (with it as a stop as I had wanted), layover in TYO, YQ would have been quite a bit of $$$.
Hmm. Shouldn't be. HKG also caps their YQ pretty severely.
Old Nov 14, 17, 2:53 pm

Programs: amex, Aeroplan
My mini rtw is now booked in business class.

This route is valid:

YUL ZRH Swiss business (layover of 16 hours), we will visit the city)
ZRH HKG Swiss business (1stop)
HKG TPE Eva Economy (2nd stop)
TPE BKK Eva Business (destination)
BKK PEK Air China Business
PEK EWR Air china Business
EWR YUL Air canada Economy

Aeroplan agent fee for 2 : $68.98 CAD
Fees for the trip for 2: $428.30 CAD

Just the first segment worth $11 000 CAD by ticket!
Amex MR and Aerplan are great!!
Old Nov 15, 17, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by merien36 View Post
My mini rtw is now booked in business class.

This route is valid:

YUL ZRH Swiss business (layover of 16 hours), we will visit the city)
ZRH HKG Swiss business (1stop)
HKG TPE Eva Economy (2nd stop)
TPE BKK Eva Business (destination)
BKK PEK Air China Business
PEK EWR Air china Business
EWR YUL Air canada Economy

Aeroplan agent fee for 2 : $68.98 CAD
Fees for the trip for 2: $428.30 CAD

Just the first segment worth $11 000 CAD by ticket!
Amex MR and Aerplan are great!!
It's hard to find REAL values for trips like this. I tried to price mine out and ITA exploded. I priced them out 1 by 1 and it was like $30k+ which no one would ever pay.

But that's not why I'm posting!

Just in case you didn't know, keep your eyes peeled for PEK-YUL-HAV, I'm sure it'd be nicer to get that direct flight if possible. If you have EF you can set up that alert, works like a charm, just fixed my AS award yesterday after I got an alert .
Old Nov 15, 17, 7:00 am
Original Poster

It's hard to find REAL values for trips like this. I tried to price mine out and ITA exploded. I priced them out 1 by 1 and it was like $30k+ which no one would ever pay.

But that's not why I'm posting!

Just in case you didn't know, keep your eyes peeled for PEK-YUL-HAV, I'm sure it'd be nicer to get that direct flight if possible. If you have EF you can set up that alert, works like a charm, just fixed my AS award yesterday after I got an alert .
Or SHA-YUL.
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:41 am

Programs: *void
Or SHA-YUL.
If I catch your drift, you mean to say that PEK-YUL may not show up as available, but searching for PEK-HAV or SHA-PEK, may give results for PEK-YUL-HAV or SHA-PEK-YUL, so then you can call in and get an agent to find the PEK-YUL segment to make the swap for $100 change fee?
Old Nov 15, 17, 11:59 am

Programs: amex, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by JJonahJ View Post
If I catch your drift, you mean to say that PEK-YUL may not show up as available, but searching for PEK-HAV or SHA-PEK, may give results for PEK-YUL-HAV or SHA-PEK-YUL, so then you can call in and get an agent to find the PEK-YUL segment to make the swap for $100 change fee?
Hello!

My return date is March 5 , but i'm flexible for the March 4 aswell.
I checked on united and ana seach engine for PEK-YUL-HAV and their is nothing

SHA-YUL nothing direct
Old Nov 15, 17, 3:12 pm

Hmm. Shouldn't be. HKG also caps their YQ pretty severely.
I have never gotten HKG to work when it's only a stop over

Only when it's the point of turnaround do I really cut the YQ
Old Nov 15, 17, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJonahJ View Post
Yup. Sorry, was writing on the go so wasn't too detailed. SHA-YUL might pull up the direct AC flight or the connection via PEK. Very often the direct PEK-xxx flights on CA do not come up - I've previously been unable to book PEK-SVO direct, but looking up PEK-ARN came up with PEK-SVO-ARN, and then I had the agent direct book it. So when you search try searching for connections.
Old Nov 16, 17, 6:32 am

Oh see all I meant was "Hey don't forget there's a new PEK-YUL flight" so he/she might be able to skip that pesky Newark leg. That's all I meant I haven't had that issue with CA flights not showing, but then I also use Expertflyer for most of my searching.

Search this Thread