FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement") (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1624540-faq-list-valid-booked-mini-rtw-itineraries-version-2-0-post-enhancement.html)

Pseudo Nim Oct 29, 2014 3:06 pm

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

The old thread was very useful but with the new routing rule update this becomes more voodoo than before, if that's even possible.

Let's post routing that the gremlins inside Aeroplan's computers approved.

rankourabu Oct 29, 2014 3:07 pm

It would be nice to have a published set of rules (even if enhanced) and not operate in the dark not knowing what the parameters are.

Pseudo Nim Oct 29, 2014 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 23759282)
It would be nice to have a published set of rules (even if enhanced) and not operate in the dark not knowing what the parameters are.

Agree. Unfortunately the agents I asked had no idea...

24left Oct 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 23759282)

Hmmm, why would "they" want us to have the rules or know the parameters

I imagine this visual: waiting for the kids to exhaust themselves asking for the cookie before dinner...can I have it now..but why not...but why...

crimsona Oct 29, 2014 3:30 pm

YVR-LHR-FRA, FRA-BKK-SIN, SIN-HKG-YVR is accepted ($1200 taxes and YQ though)
YVR-LHR-FRA, FRA-MUC-ATH-SIN, SIN-HKG-YVR is also accepted

YVR-LHR-FRA, FRA-ICN-SIN, SIN-HKG-YVR is not accepted

It's probably a fixed mileage per city pair, instead of a different mpm for PA and AT. For destinations half the world away it doesn't make too much difference, but no more taking the long way from Europe to North America via Asia, or Asia to Europe via North America

yerffej201 Oct 29, 2014 7:12 pm

It would be nice to have a set of rules so we know what's going on.

Pseudo Nim Oct 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 23760539)
It would be nice to have a set of rules so we know what's going on.

So far I've seen a few 'reasonable' looking routes not work, and a few totally weird ones work fine. So I currently have no clue what the rationale is. I hope we start tracking some valid and booked routes so we can start building our own logic for this.

In the meantime, this is what the process reminds me of: http://southpark.cc.com/clips/103666/idea-balls

yqtyyz Oct 29, 2014 8:21 pm

If the new program is so smart, it should not be denying us after we have selected each destination in the multi-city search. Before, the greyed out feature helped a little bit. However, even now, if it's selectable, there's a good chance one's itinerary may be shot down. That's what's so frustrating.

We're all pretty much in trouble if even the mini-RTW guru Pseudo Nim ^ can't figure things out. :eek:

YVR guy Oct 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Mini-RTW including Australia & Europe?

It seems like this basic routing now doesn't work.

YVR-ICN-SYD-BKK-CDG-YUL-YVR

The agent says 4288 over max. mileage. ...?!! This is quite direct routing... if this is over by that much milage... then WHAT ROUTING could possibly work anymore?

As I try to change the dates on my existing itinerary, they will no longer honor the original routing with the "enhanced" system. :mad: :td:

Does this now mean combining Australia and Europe in mini-RTW doesn't exist?

Sean Peever Oct 29, 2014 9:32 pm

It no longer allowed YVR - SIN (stop) - EZE (stop) - YVR on ANY routing!!!

This is looking like they've blocked a LOT of pairings.

Pseudo Nim Oct 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by YVR guy (Post 23761054)

The agent says 4288 over max. mileage. ...?!! This is quite direct routing... if this is over by that much milage... then WHAT ROUTING could possibly work anymore?

As I try to change the dates on my existing itinerary, they will no longer honor the original routing with the "enhanced" system. :mad: :td:

Hmm. It can't be 4288 over mileage because they dropped MPM! :P Did the agent SAY what was over mileage?

I suspect part of the reason for the change must have been the egregious MPM on YYZ-SYD. I wonder, though.

belfordrocks Oct 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona (Post 23759410)
It's probably a fixed mileage per city pair, instead of a different mpm for PA and AT. For destinations half the world away it doesn't make too much difference, but no more taking the long way from Europe to North America via Asia, or Asia to Europe via North America

This is correct. Each city pair now has one MPM regardless of the routing that you travel via. For some, this is a lot more generous than before. But it also means that travelling the long way on routes like LAX to NRT is no longer allowed.

Under the new system, the best way to "maximise" a mini-RTW is to ensure that your point of turnaround is as far away from your origin city as possible as the crow flies. That gives you the most miles to work with possible.

belfordrocks Oct 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by YVR guy (Post 23761054)

From Vancouver you'd have to essentially visit Perth, or start from the far east coast (think Boston) so that the distance between the two cities is far as you can get it. A Perth to Boston for instance, can be easily routed via Asia and Europe under the new system. Sydney to Vancouver though wouldn't as the two cities are too close together.

gnof Oct 30, 2014 9:03 am

Originally Posted by crimsona (Post 23759410)
For destinations half the world away it doesn't make too much difference, but no more taking the long way from Europe to North America via Asia, or Asia to Europe via North America

are the changes effective immediately?
if not, there goes the one sort of reasonable first class redemption...

Pseudo Nim Oct 30, 2014 9:32 am

Originally Posted by gnof (Post 23763153)
are the changes effective immediately?
if not, there goes the one sort of reasonable first class redemption...

In place as of yesterday. Which F redemption?