Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerryhung
Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

Please note
This thread is meant for only posting valid and booked mini-RTW, not for general mini-RTW questions which belong in the Mini RTW Questions.

Those new to the whole mini-RTW award please post in the FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Original List of booked/valid Mini-RTW 1.0 (before 10/29/2014)
Print Wikipost

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by sunwin
Question: I need to redeem a one way ticket from New Delhi to Toronto in Feb. Dates are limited to either 7th or 8th. On Aeroplan I see the following list:

Turkish 777 to IST - LHR to YYZ Air Canada 789

Swiss A330 to Zurich - Vienna to YYZ Austrian 76W

What I want to know is out of these, which ones have a solid J class product and which airlines (route) I should avoid. Lounge is not a concern just want the seat (window) and experience to be great.

Haven't flown in any of these in J so not sure of the business class product and the reviews are scattered so couldn't make the top 2. Haven't looked at UA flights yet.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If the question doesn't belong here, let me know and I will move to the right place.
probably wrong thread
somewhat belongs in Mini-RTW Questions
This Q has been asked before, look it up, or simply Google
both will have $$$$ YQ using AC or Austrian

Go for DEL-IST-YYZ on TK all the way if possible
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Yeah, to echo jerryhung, you're gonna be paying hella YQ/YR on those redemptions flying OS/AC metal. Since you're okay with 2 stops, might want to check out DEL-IST-LIS-YYZ on TK/TP showing availability on Feb 7th. The TP equipment is showing A333, which would be their brand new (well, refurbed) planes with new J product. TP has YQ/YR but it's not as bad as OS/LH/AC. TK's hard product is decent but not amazing, but the soft product - when it's good, it's amazing.

Also on the 7th, you could do DEL-ZRH-WAW-YYZ on LX/LO. LX is good all around. LO's 787 J service to YYZ is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't tried it first hand.

There's also the AI/AC option through SFO, but I would understand if you want to avoid AI.

If you don't care about YQ, there are better 1-stop options via FRA, ICN, and others.

Originally Posted by sunwin
Question: I need to redeem a one way ticket from New Delhi to Toronto in Feb. Dates are limited to either 7th or 8th. On Aeroplan I see the following list:

Turkish 777 to IST - LHR to YYZ Air Canada 789

Swiss A330 to Zurich - Vienna to YYZ Austrian 76W

What I want to know is out of these, which ones have a solid J class product and which airlines (route) I should avoid. Lounge is not a concern just want the seat (window) and experience to be great.

Haven't flown in any of these in J so not sure of the business class product and the reviews are scattered so couldn't make the top 2. Haven't looked at UA flights yet.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If the question doesn't belong here, let me know and I will move to the right place.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
Well, I finally bit the bullet and booked a mini-RTW next June. Going from JFK because I will be in NYC anyway.

JFK-IST - TK J - 5 day stop - B777
IST-FRA - TK J - 22 hr layover - A320
FRA-HND - NH F - 18 hour layover - B777
HND-BKK - TG F - 14 hour layover - B747
BKK-SIN - SQ J - 5 day stop - A330 *Destination*
SIN-TPE - SQ J - 4 hour layover - A330
TPE-BKK - BR J - 9 hour layover - B777
BKK-KIX - TG F - 7 day stop - A380
KIX-ICN - OZ J - 12 hour layover - A321
ICN-JFK - OZ F - A380

215,000 Miles

Taxes = $485.30
Booking fee = $31.50
Total = $516.80

Yes, I know it will be hot and humid but it was the only time I could go (I'm even missing my PhD convocation!)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by ScGhost0
Well, I finally bit the bullet and booked a mini-RTW next June. Going from JFK because I will be in NYC anyway.

JFK-IST - TK J - 5 day stop - B777
IST-FRA - TK J - 22 hr layover - A320
FRA-HND - NH F - 18 hour layover - B777
HND-BKK - TG F - 14 hour layover - B747
BKK-SIN - SQ J - 5 day stop - A330 *Destination*
SIN-TPE - SQ J - 4 hour layover - A330
TPE-BKK - BR J - 9 hour layover - B777
BKK-KIX - TG F - 7 day stop - A380
KIX-ICN - OZ J - 12 hour layover - A321
ICN-JFK - OZ F - A380

215,000 Miles

Taxes = $485.30
Booking fee = $31.50
Total = $516.80

Yes, I know it will be hot and humid but it was the only time I could go (I'm even missing my PhD convocation!)
Oh man, splurging a little for F eh?

I will be doing a RTW trip of two month before I start off my job.
Thinking about doing:
YYZ - CDG (Stop)
CDG - CPH (<24 hour layover)
CPH - PVG(Turnaround Point)
PVG - TPE or HKG (<24 hour layover)
TPE - HND (Stop)
HND- YYZ

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Nov 2, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Oh man, splurging a little for F eh?

I will be doing a RTW trip of two month before I start off my job.
Thinking about doing:
YYZ - CDG (Stop)
CDG - CPH (<24 hour layover)
CPH - PVG(Turnaround Point)
PVG - TPE or HKG (<24 hour layover)
TPE - HND (Stop)
HND- YYZ
Yeah decided to use up the AP points I have before moving off to whatever is next (Post-doc, industry, etc) and I have an excuse of going to a conference in Kyoto as my motivator

Since I'm going through Frankfurt, if I see LH F open up FRA-HND, Might grab it to use the FCT since I'm there overnight anyway.

Last edited by ScGhost0; Nov 3, 2017 at 6:42 am Reason: Spelling error
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by ScGhost0
Yeah decided to use up the AP points I have before moving off to whatever is next (Post-doc, industry, etc) and I have an excuse of going to a conference in Kyoto as my motivator

Since I'm going through Frankfurt, if I see LH F open up FRA-HND, Might grab it to use the FVT since I'm there overnight anyway.
When will you be in Kyoto? Could have a mini do there ^
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
When will you be in Kyoto? Could have a mini do there ^
Osaka/Kyoto June 21-28 currently.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by JCYC5
BOOKED! Thanks all for their help (direct and indirect)!

YEG YYZ AC162 J
YYZ EWR AC7650 J
JFK BRU SN502 J STOP
BRU IST TK1938 J
IST HKT TK172 J DEST
HKT BKK TG218 J
BKK NRT TG640 J STOP
NRT YVR AC4 J
YVR YEG AC250 J

Air Travellers Security Charge (CA) $25.91
Canada Goods and Services Tax (GST/HST #10009-2287 RT0001) (XG) $1.50
Combined taxes, fees, charges and surcharges, see fare calculation below (XT) $193.55

Total in Canadian dollars : 220.96

155,000 miles per person

*edit* All in J now!
How the hell did you get this at $220? Are you super elite? Honestly the NRT-YVR alone would've generated that much I thought. Plus you've thrown in a couple domestic AC flights.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:19 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by drvannostren
How the hell did you get this at $220? Are you super elite? Honestly the NRT-YVR alone would've generated that much I thought. Plus you've thrown in a couple domestic AC flights.
YQ from Tokyo is capped, and intra Asia is low / zero even on TG. So this is actually about the right amount. Departing Japan is very cost effective in YQ these days!
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:30 pm

Tried to max out the miles, but after seeing the post above I just know I'll never figure out YQ, let alone the fees/taxes, which I know are extra high at some airports but man...

Really wanted to fly some products I've never tried before, there's a nested paid flight in here as well, so that put a bit of a wrench in things.

YVR-PEK Air China J
PEK-IST Turkish J Turn
IST-LJU Turkish J < 24
LJU-CDG Adria JSTOP Nested paid trip CDG-YVR-CDG
CDG-WAW-IEV LOT J Stop
KBP-ZRH Swiss J < 24
ZRH-ORD Swiss J
ORD-YVR Air Canada J (it's a CRJ-705, so it's not great, but I do love the single seats)

Total cost was $405 CAD + $31 for booking. I was told that only like $90 of that was YQ which at least made me happy, though even that is high considering there's literally only 1 flight that incurs it.

As far as MPM goes, YVR-IST MPM is 9920, my YVR-PEK-IST is 9697, couldn't route through any other city, would've preferred to fly CA 747, but I've never flown CA so either way I'll get to cross it off the list. My route home, IST-LJU-CDG-WAW-IEV/KBP-ZRH-ORD-YVR was 9918, really pushed it. I wated to try and get < 24 at TIA, couldn't do it, any other route home would've forced me to dump KBP in favor of something else. Couldn't get a single seat for like 6 days, J or Y from ORD-YVR on UA. As much as I hate that $90 of scam charge, I'm lucky that AC had a seat that day cuz for ORD-YVR to ruin this whole thing would've been a real p-off. I had built an entire itinerary needing to just find YVR-EWR and IAD-YVR (open to connections) and couldn't get a bloody seat on UA. I'll never figure United availability, it comes and goes with the wind, seems like domestic/transborder availability is never there at the same time as INTL availability.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
YQ from Tokyo is capped, and intra Asia is low / zero even on TG. So this is actually about the right amount. Departing Japan is very cost effective in YQ these days!
Except, I was quoted in the past that YQ is charged on the whole itinerary. So when I had all my flights as no YQ, I still got dinged for old TG YQ or something. Also I had YVR-PDX-EWR-LHR-BKK and they wanted like $250 (of YQ alone), I turned this one down cuz it was simply ridiculous, I could've had the YVR-PDX flight in cash <$250 but starting in PDX would've ruined my MPM. I read the blogs, read the rules, hell I knew about the TG change and the new stipulation for OZ, which the agent kept asking "where did you hear about that huh?" I give up, I was pretty satisfied with my booking today and knowing that most of it was just cuz of how many airport taxes I'm paying, I'm ok with the price, I'll never understand.

Also, you mentioned YQ from Tokyo is capped. But this person isn't flying FROM Tokyo, they're flying to a bunch of place and Tokyo. If you check YYZ-GRU-YYZ you'll get $260 YQ. But if you try GRU-YYZ-GRU it's only $30 (though Brazil has no YQ, so I'm not sure how they even charge $15 each way) so I don't see how going to Tokyo affects it if you're not originating from there.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:49 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Except, I was quoted in the past that YQ is charged on the whole itinerary. So when I had all my flights as no YQ, I still got dinged for old TG YQ or something. Also I had YVR-PDX-EWR-LHR-BKK and they wanted like $250 (of YQ alone), I turned this one down cuz it was simply ridiculous, I could've had the YVR-PDX flight in cash <$250 but starting in PDX would've ruined my MPM. I read the blogs, read the rules, hell I knew about the TG change and the new stipulation for OZ, which the agent kept asking "where did you hear about that huh?" I give up, I was pretty satisfied with my booking today and knowing that most of it was just cuz of how many airport taxes I'm paying, I'm ok with the price, I'll never understand.

Also, you mentioned YQ from Tokyo is capped. But this person isn't flying FROM Tokyo, they're flying to a bunch of place and Tokyo. If you check YYZ-GRU-YYZ you'll get $260 YQ. But if you try GRU-YYZ-GRU it's only $30 (though Brazil has no YQ, so I'm not sure how they even charge $15 each way) so I don't see how going to Tokyo affects it if you're not originating from there.
What OZ stipulation?

YQ calculation is a bit of a black box but he's stopping in Tokyo which breaks the fare. If he stopped in ICN, for instance, it would have priced much higher.

In your GRU example the reason YYZ GRU YYZ doesn't work is because the fare begins in YYZ and it's the return part of it. In a RTW example because they can't really set them up as "return" trips, they end up pricing them stop to stop more or less. Also remember that it's all priced manually so who even knows for sure.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
What OZ stipulation?

YQ calculation is a bit of a black box but he's stopping in Tokyo which breaks the fare. If he stopped in ICN, for instance, it would have priced much higher.

In your GRU example the reason YYZ GRU YYZ doesn't work is because the fare begins in YYZ and it's the return part of it. In a RTW example because they can't really set them up as "return" trips, they end up pricing them stop to stop more or less. Also remember that it's all priced manually so who even knows for sure.
This is exactly the problem. The fact that neither of us can say black/white what is and what isn't makes this whole thing a bit ridiculous lol. Every so often I've wanted to get through the whole process then HUACA and see if the next agent gives me the same YQ.

The OZ stipulation (was too lazy to find it during the original post) is that flights FROM Korea don't incur YQ. Thai now is anything to/from/within Thailand that shouldn't have YQ. But I suppose if there's a 5th freedom route they operate that it would.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:25 am

Stopping in Hong Kong doesn't stop YQ from occurring, had to use it as actual destination. This was a trip booked a couple year ago that we took 15 months ago though
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:07 pm

Somehow it works, having TYO as a stop... I'm not complaining! I do know if I took AC from HKG (with it as a stop as I had wanted), layover in TYO, YQ would have been quite a bit of $$$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.