Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerryhung
Want to find the new MPM after 10/29/2014?
Aeroplan City Pair mileage (new pseudo-MPM) - FlyerTalk Forums

Please note
This thread is meant for only posting valid and booked mini-RTW, not for general mini-RTW questions which belong in the Mini RTW Questions.

Those new to the whole mini-RTW award please post in the FAQ: The Complete Newbie Guide/FAQ to the Air Canada Aeroplan Mini-RTW

Original List of booked/valid Mini-RTW 1.0 (before 10/29/2014)
Print Wikipost

FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:51 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by c_9
YYZ-ORD-NRT, NRT-CPH-EWR-YYZ rejected

(the return is over the new MPM value for YYZ-NRT = 9049 miles)
What if you made CPH a stop? Did you try that? Even if you're not interested in it, would you mind asking them? I'm curious if that makes the routing permissible.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by c_9
That is brutal. That pretty much kills all TATL routings to NRT - not even YYZ-IST-NRT
Flying via China or Taiwan is also no go either TATL or TPAC

So apart from UA - if one wants to go to Japan - there are no attractive stopovers enroute - and one must fly UA or pay scamcharges.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
That is brutal. That pretty much kills all TATL routings to NRT - not even YYZ-IST-NRT

So apart from UA - if one wants to go to Japan - there are no attractive stopovers enroute - and one must fly UA or pay scamcharges.
Hmm, so BR YYZ-TPE-BRT doesn't work? that doesn't sound right, it's under 9K, isn't it?

Also, what if you stop in Europe? Doesn't the MPM become stop to stop?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:05 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by rankourabu

The Aeroplan site is still offering plenty of options via China, and as Pseudo Nim mentions PVG, PEK, TPE are all under 9049 - am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Since I haven't found useful TATL availability in J in the entire May-Oct 2015 range other than literally 2 options (on SK), this sucks but probably doesn't actually impact my actual flights, just my desires.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by c_9
YYZ-ORD-NRT, NRT-CPH-EWR-YYZ rejected

What would happen if you put in BKK/SIN or similar (maybe even HKG?) as a stop (and hence your point of turnaround)?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c_9
The Aeroplan site is still offering plenty of options via China, and as Pseudo Nim mentions PVG, PEK, TPE are all under 9049 - am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Since I haven't found useful TATL availability in J in the entire May-Oct 2015 range other than literally 2 options (on SK), this sucks but probably doesn't actually impact my actual flights, just my desires.
Yes, but on Air Canada = scam, you cannot get to NRT on CA anymore via IAH or LAX for example.

YYZ-TPE-NRT just squeezes in - but - if you need a connector (SEA,LAX,JFK) - thats all out.

If MPM was indeed stop-to-stop - that would actually be better for routings....
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:21 am
c_9

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
What if you made CPH a stop? Did you try that? Even if you're not interested in it, would you mind asking them? I'm curious if that makes the routing permissible.
Good question - have called and asked, and this routing was rejected:

YYZ-ORD-NRT (destination), NRT-CPH (stop), CPH-YYZ

At first he thought it was OK but then put me on hold, mentioned the new system, and told me it was not valid. "MPM is about 9000, and you're at about 10000."

Some other unhelpful quotes:
- "nothing much has changed"
- he suggested things were opened up a bit more
- "what happened is they added a little more miles that the airline allows"
- "under the old rules this wouldn't be valid either" (?)

Grrr.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:24 am
c_9

Originally Posted by mapleg
What would happen if you put in BKK/SIN or similar (maybe even HKG?) as a stop (and hence your point of turnaround)?
Considering BKK is 30% farther, I suspect it would work out. But then I would need to find availability to fly thru BKK, complicating my trip. Ugh. This is such a shame. An understandable, companies-need-to-make-money, shame.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c_9
Considering BKK is 30% farther, I suspect it would work out. But then I would need to find availability to fly thru BKK, complicating my trip. Ugh. This is such a shame. An understandable, companies-need-to-make-money, shame.
Its a shame not because they are implementing a rule.
Its a shame its not communicated, and that its using a random made up number rather than a published one.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:37 am

So much for the new routing rules being helpful and an improvement... we all know what that means!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by c_9
Some other unhelpful quotes:
- "nothing much has changed"
- he suggested things were opened up a bit more
- "what happened is they added a little more miles that the airline allows"
- "under the old rules this wouldn't be valid either" (?)

Grrr.
I HUCA'd four agents in a row last week, and each one gave a contradictory summary of the new rules, from "nothing has changed" to "everything has changed".

Agents 1 and 3 rejected my itinerary as "un-bookable", agents 2 and 4 set it up without issue.

Agent 2 declared that a 3-hour layover in IST made it an Europe 2 award, Agent 4 happily booked it as Europe 1.

For whatever it's worth, AC/AE seem to be doing an equally poor job of communicating internally as externally.

Either way, don't take one agent's answer as gospel.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

This is supremely annoying. Indeed, YUL-FRA-NRT, a completely trivial itinerary previously possible, no longer is.

This means that if you want to go over Europe, you're stuck going to HKG, and then paying for a separate ticket to get to NRT. Or something. .... I sincerely hope something like YUL-ORD-NRT-BKK, BKK-FRA, FRA-YUL would be allowed (in either direction) - I can't test this on the multicity tool, but I really hope so.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Just had another chat with someone on the AE line. I had previously confirmed that ORD-BKK had a maximum permitted mileage of 13,213 which seemed a little high compared to YYC (9,776) and YYZ (11,055) but who was I to question it so I was able to come up with a fairly circuitous routing of: ORD-NRT (NH F - stop)-HND-BKK (TG F - POT)-BKK-HKG(TG F)-HKG-ICN(OZ J)-ICN-FRA(OZ F)-FRA-VIE (OS J - stop)-VIE-BRU (SN J)-BRU-IAD (SN J)-IAD-ORD (UA J) which came under the limit. After feeding her all the flights, I was informed that I was over the limit of 12,095. To make matters more confusing, the mileage limits are slightly different on the inbound and outbound as I was told that it depends on what cities you route through which is 100% contradictory to what I was told a couple of days ago.

Needless to say, it's back to the drawing board for me until I call in again and get a completely different story on the new rules.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by habshabs444
Just had another chat with someone on the AE line. I had previously confirmed that ORD-BKK had a maximum permitted mileage of 13,213 which seemed a little high compared to YYC (9,776) and YYZ (11,055) but who was I to question it so I was able to come up with a fairly circuitous routing of: ORD-NRT (NH F - stop)-HND-BKK (TG F - POT)-BKK-HKG(TG F)-HKG-ICN(OZ J)-ICN-FRA(OZ F)-FRA-VIE (OS J - stop)-VIE-BRU (SN J)-BRU-IAD (SN J)-IAD-ORD (UA J) which came under the limit. After feeding her all the flights, I was informed that I was over the limit of 12,095. To make matters more confusing, the mileage limits are slightly different on the inbound and outbound as I was told that it depends on what cities you route through which is 100% contradictory to what I was told a couple of days ago.

Needless to say, it's back to the drawing board for me until I call in again and get a completely different story on the new rules.
This is so annoying.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by habshabs444
To make matters more confusing, the mileage limits are slightly different on the inbound and outbound as I was told that it depends on what cities you route through which is 100% contradictory to what I was told a couple of days ago.

This is indeed correct. Your maximum mileage is determined by your routing and is not necessarily a constant calculation between two city pairs. Agents won't know what your maximum mileage is until they plug in your routing.

If you ask them for a MM based on two city pairs (if they agree to even provide that) they will often quote you a modified TPM or CUM calculation which (again) may not follow your individual routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.