Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
In today's instalment in the "State of the Bread" (Thread)...

...we have another visit from the TATL breakfast croissant door-stopper.
It was not breathing when I touched it and was hard and dry when I really wanted soft and warm.

I know AC can do it. It's not that hard. I have photos

So, first photo is that recent TATL thing. Not edible.

The second photo is what used to be the outstanding croissant on AC4 ex-NRT.

(yes, I know they were made in Japan, but they were served on AC, so I'm not even comparing it to the croissants from CX or LH or....)

And yes, FWP.

Attached Images   
Old May 9, 2016, 8:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
AC 32 PEK-YYZ May 1, 2016

Name:  000-XL.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  001-XL.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  002-XL.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  003-XL.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1418-M.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1421-M.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1424-M.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  59.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1426-M.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1431-M.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1432-M.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  73.8 KB
Old May 9, 2016, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ACfly
AC 32 PEK-YYZ May 1, 2016
Great photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:43 am

I'm thinking of burning 70k UA miles for a DXB-YYZ 11:30pm flight with AC on the Dreamliner. Their new J product looks quite nice:

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=768

The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that it's a redeye, so I expect the food, service and overall experience to be a diminished version of itself.

Should I go for it, anyway, or will it be a waste of miles?

Last edited by joer1212; May 10, 2016 at 1:54 am
Old May 10, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by joer1212
I'm thinking of burning 70k UA miles for a DXB-YYZ 11:30pm flight with AC on the Dreamliner. Their new J product looks quite nice:

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=768

The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that it's a redeye, so I expect the food, service and overall experience to be a diminished version of itself.

Should I go for it, anyway, or will it be a waste of miles?
Define "diminished" in this context...

I can assure you it's not "diminished"... It's similar both directions.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad

I was assuming there would be a somewhat rushed dinner service in order to get the cabin ready for overnight. A less lavish meal (?) would also accompany this (I myself have experienced this on LH, when I flew a EWR-MUC red-eye a couple of years ago).
Some posters in the EK subforum advise to book earlier flights to get the "full experience" on the a380 (JFK-DXB route).

Last edited by joer1212; May 10, 2016 at 2:33 am
Old May 10, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Since the flight is so late, I'm assuming there will be a rushed dinner service in order to get the cabin ready for the overnight sleep. This may also be accompanied by a less lavish meal (?).
Yes, many people will probably sleep, or skip eating at the start. Did you notice the menus we posted over the last 10 months here? You can get serviced later in the flight if you don't want to eat first.

I never feel the service is "rushed" on my TPAC and TATL redeyes. And not everyone sleeps right away.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was assuming there would be a somewhat rushed dinner service in order to get the cabin ready for overnight. A less lavish meal (?) may also accompany this (I myself have experienced this phenomenon on LH, when I flew a EWR-MUC red-eye a couple of years ago).
Some posters in the EK subforum advise to book earlier flights to get the "full experience" on the JFK-DXB route on the a380.
One more thing... you clearly are doing your research to maximize your experience... if I said to go with your gut feelings, which would you choose? Your expectations might be really different from mine. I can only tell you my experiences on AC (roughly 500+ transoceanic flights with them in J) in the last few years.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I was assuming there would be a somewhat rushed dinner service in order to get the cabin ready for overnight. A less lavish meal (?) would also accompany this (I myself have experienced this on LH, when I flew a EWR-MUC red-eye a couple of years ago).
Some posters in the EK subforum advise to book earlier flights to get the "full experience" on the a380 (JFK-DXB route).
Your fears are unwarranted
Old May 10, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport

It is indeed the full meal deal. The service is also quick as the refusal factor is high as most opt to sleep. Catering quality is also excellent out of DXB. Last rotation service was completed in 1 hour and 20 minutes max.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
It is indeed the full meal deal. The service is also quick as the refusal factor is high as most opt to sleep. Catering quality is also excellent out of DXB. Last rotation service was completed in 1 hour and 20 minutes max.
Exactly my experiences. I think OP just needed clarification that "quick" in this context does not mean "rushed" because this is what the OP is questioning.

So @Joer1212, service is "quick" because the five people before you refused service or were already sleeping... So you simply get served faster but by no means does this infer that service is "rushed"!
Old May 10, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Exactly my experiences. I think OP just needed clarification that "quick" in this context does not mean "rushed" because this is what the OP is questioning.

So @Joer1212, service is "quick" because the five people before you refused service or were already sleeping... So you simply get served faster but by no means does this infer that service is "rushed"!
^
Old May 10, 2016, 11:34 am

One more thing... you clearly are doing your research to maximize your experience... if I said to go with your gut feelings, which would you choose? Your expectations might be really different from mine. I can only tell you my experiences on AC (roughly 500+ transoceanic flights with them in J) in the last few years.
Thanks for the clarification. It removes the last hurdle of doubt I had about booking this flight.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:24 pm
Suspended

You are actually correct in terms of some of these other airlines.
Along with mentions in travel columns, there are threads on this topic on other FT airline forums, along with complaints. Some airlines have shortened the meal service on "overnight flights", others have reduced the quality/quantity on flights under a certain number of hours.

I believe AC will be no different if they find that a certain percent of J pax are choosing to sleep or eat less on routes departing at certain times. IIRC, this may be related to offering the "Express Meal" service. Others here can add info or correct me.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
You are actually correct in terms of some of these other airlines.
Along with mentions in travel columns, there are threads on this topic on other FT airline forums, along with complaints. Some airlines have shortened the meal service on "overnight flights", others have reduced the quality/quantity on flights under a certain number of hours.

I believe AC will be no different if they find that a certain percent of J pax are choosing to sleep or eat less on routes departing at certain times. IIRC, this may be related to offering the "Express Meal" service. Others here can add info or correct me.
Given the fact that you can no longer get an express meal that is hot, I would say AC J pax prefer to eat. And since they couldn't live up to that demand, they made the fastest option cold. As a result, I wonder what will happen now....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.