Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by Queen B
Not a fan of fish on a plane, I made myself try the salmon and it was dry.
IMO Fish is best cooked in a real kitchen or on the bbq
I still boggle at how they can't seem to pull this off. Salmon poaches really nicely and is quite forgiving when it comes to doneness (within reason). You can literally cook it in a dishwasher and have it turn out excellent.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by shadowspar
I still boggle at how they can't seem to pull this off. Salmon poaches really nicely and is quite forgiving when it comes to doneness (within reason). You can literally cook it in a dishwasher and have it turn out excellent.
Actually they can.

I've had some excellent salmon and halibut on Air Canada. You'd have to look back at my various meal photos. I know there was an excellent salmon recently on my TPACs and also had a really good one to FRA once.. The awesome halibut was a few years ago to NRT and as @yyznomad and others have said, the best sablefish dish was the first one, circa late 2015 on AC.
shadowspar likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Flying YYZ-ICN this week and returning TPE_YVR next week (Oct). Is there a new menu for Oct as I thought I read somewhere about a new menu.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shadowspar
I suppose I disagree with salmon being forgiving. Gets dry very quick if overdone. I won't have it on a plane. Actually I won't have farmed salmon perid, and sockeye gets dry even easier than other varieties.

This said, we had the "halibut" on a TPE-YVR recently, I asked the FA to make sure mine would not be too overdone although with no real expectation but it came up as one of the least bad fishes I have have on AC recently.

I believe we had this conversation earlier somewhere on FT, surely this is not a halibut, merely the closest translation that will mean anything to AC's standard customer for some Asian flat fish. I hear the Chinese menu refers to simply a flat fish "with both eyes on the same side." Kind of like "barramundi" out of Germany.

But anyway the fish did beat my (low) expectations.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:02 am

Flew YYZ-ICN yesterday. Crew was excellent but some of the dished seemed to have gone downhill.
The dimsum was tasteless. The Hawksworth signature dish - someone must have read this thread because the sauce was on the side on the plate and not all over the fish. The sauce is extremely strong flavored. However the dish was cold and the fish did not taste good. Don't think I will get this again which is a pity as I normally like fish.
Will try TPE-YVR in a couple of days and hopefully the rumored new menu will be in place.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by vernonc
.....The Hawksworth signature dish - someone must have read this thread because the sauce was on the side on the plate and not all over the fish......
.....someone must have read this thread because......
Can't be.

....some of the dished seemed to have gone downhill.
The dimsum was tasteless. ......However the dish was cold and the fish did not taste good. Don't think I will get this again which is a pity as I normally like fish........
Sad, really.

You know I've posted this year's collection of various fish offerings and noted those that had flavour, but mostly they were cold which might be great for a tuna sandwich, but not for a meal that is supposed to be served hot. I would also add the portions seem to have shrunk.

But hey, things are looking up. New Signature Cocktail coming tomorrow and rumour has it the chocolate fondant cake with fruit compote will make a return appearance.

NZ, TK, and SQ offer a choice of 2-3 desserts. Just saying.

.....Will try TPE-YVR in a couple of days and hopefully the rumored new menu will be in place.
I look forward to photos and review from those who be sampling AC's adventurous new menu.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:48 am

New signature cocktail since apparently many customers complained the old one was too sweet.
Crown Royal, Gin and Cranberry.
I did try it and not my preference but that does not mean someone else will not like it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
New signature cocktail since apparently many customers complained the old one was too sweet.
Crown Royal, Gin and Cranberry.
I did try it and not my preference but that does not mean someone else will not like it.
Ok, this sounds like what ACYYZ/SD mentioned in the Signature Service thread:

Originally Posted by yyznomad
There was a period of several years prior to Signature Service where there was no "Featured Cocktail" on the menus.

But having a recent look at some menus from the early/mid-2000s, there were Featured Cocktails (prior to 2014 (IIRC) there were only J menus on international flights aka "Executive First"). These Featured Cocktails/Canadian Signature Cocktails would also change over time (within the same calendar year). I'm sure it was similar in the late 90's and with CP/WD/etc.?

So it's nice to see Signature Service bring this feature back... well, sort of.
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Signature Cocktail is changing October 1st along with menu and wine changes.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:11 am

Not sure if these are the 'new' Oct menus but I have attached menus from YVR-TPE on 02 Oct (not on this flight but found the menu on my seat) and TPE-YVR on 03 Oct. The menu that says lunch will be served after takeoff is YVR-TPE. The other two (dinner and snack) are from TPE-YVR

Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if these are the 'new' Oct menus but I have attached menus from YVR-TPE on 02 Oct (not on this flight but found the menu on my seat) and TPE-YVR on 03 Oct. The menu that says lunch will be served after takeoff is YVR-TPE. The other two (dinner and snack) are from TPE-YVR
Both differ from the Sept ones. So yes they got to be the new ones.

I was curious about the wines too BTW.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Both differ from the Sept ones. So yes they got to be the new ones.

I was curious about the wines too BTW.
Here you go.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Here you go.
Only one Canadian wine? How dare they!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only one Canadian wine? How dare they!
And only two whites.

And more or less all oddball. I guess I would at least try the Canadian red... Both others are Southern Rhone types, but obviously on the cheap. The Spanish one *might* be good value. I expected this would be a Catalan wine, i.e. Priorat-like. But no, it's from mainstream Spain, Aragon. I usually stay away SE France stuff, fruit but don't even mention balance.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
And only two whites.

And more or less all oddball. I guess I would at least try the Canadian red... Both others are Southern Rhone types, but obviously on the cheap. The Spanish one *might* be good value. I expected this would be a Catalan wine, i.e. Priorat-like. But no, it's from mainstream Spain, Aragon. I usually stay away SE France stuff, fruit but don't even mention balance.
Yeah, I was just poking fun based on the recent "lack of Canadian wines reasons" thread (paraphrased).

I don't particularly care for beer or wine, but will try some from time to time. The only wine that blew me away (before I knew what it was when I drank it, because frankly I didn't care before I took a swig) was a red that tasted of some peat/wood, like an old Scotch. I already forgot the name of it!

But basically, even the wines that AC has (that I've ever tried) were fine by me... but this is based on my lowly wine standards (because I don't have any).
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I was just poking fun based on the recent "lack of Canadian wines reasons" thread (paraphrased).
Yes, I did understand that.

Seems like they heard the folks here who asked for it. For better or worse... (I'll need to try it to figure that out.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.