Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: AC E75K
Did Air Canada remove the online menus? I know they were often missing, but it seems to page / link seems to be gone altogether?

Btw, has anyone tried the newish (?) Hawksworth chicken dish? Saw that offered on AC876 (YYZ-FRA) last night but decided to go with the BBQ salmon instead.

Also noticed the Hawksworth sablefish on AC738 (SFO-YYZ) was served with a green curry and sweet potatoes. Was it always like this? I remember it being more "Asian", but maybe I'm mixing it up with the BBQ salmon in my memory.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Did Air Canada remove the online menus? I know they were often missing, but it seems to page / link seems to be gone altogether?
Yes, and it was reported a while ago

In fact, upthread, I wrote this on Sept 15

Originally Posted by 24left
AC11 YUL-PVG September 2018

As menus are no longer posted on AC's website, it's back to photos of the hard copies. How hard is this to get them posted and keep them posted?

EDIT TO ADD:

This was posted upthread on Aug 23

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Looks like the option to look up menus on AC flights has been removed. Or I can't find it - but it definitely isn't where I used to be able to find it.

I guess that's easier than just having most of the flights say "No menu available"...
​​​​​​​
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Once again - can AC please get some hot sauce on all their flights please (instead of just T-PAC). The Canadian palate has evolved where a bit of spice is now fairly mainstream - and far too often the only thing that makes the food edible is to douse some hot sauce on it.
thanks
gabdusch and DNAwizard like this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karachi
Once again - can AC please get some hot sauce on all their flights please (instead of just T-PAC). The Canadian palate has evolved where a bit of spice is now fairly mainstream - and far too often the only thing that makes the food edible is to douse some hot sauce on it.
thanks
If the food is bad, just hide its taste...

I would rather see them improve food quality...
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
AC806 YVR-CDG October 2018

I don't do YVR-Europe very often so I was interested to see how the service compared to the East Coast TATL I'm more familiar with. In a nutshell, service appeared virtually identical, including the breakfast card to be filled by passengers. However, I did appreciate the slightly longer flight time which enabled me to sleep somewhat longer than usual.

Starting October 1st, a new-ish Signature Cocktail consisting of Crown Royal, Canadian whisky, gin and cranberry. I liked this version better than the first one as it was a lot less sweet.

(sma)

The Smoked Trout, grapefruit, picked onion, egg, lemon emulsion starter was interesting and more substantial than the previous shellfish appy, but was a bit on the dry side.

In my quest to try something different, I went with the Grilled Chicken Thigh, braised collard greens, prosciutto, baked gnocchi, crispy Parmesan crumbs. While the presentation was a little scary, the portion was substantial and quite tasty. It could have used a little less sauce.

But of course, the start of the show was the return of the Dark Chocolat Fondant!!! Sadly, it seems AC forgot about the dimensions of the cake when spec'ing those plates, and my slice was unceremoniously crooked in an attempt to fit in the plate...

Menu photos below:

​​​​​​​
jasdou and 24left like this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by gabdusch
AC806 YVR-CDG October 2018

I don't do YVR-Europe very often so I was interested to see how the service compared to the East Coast TATL I'm more familiar with. In a nutshell, service appeared virtually identical, including the breakfast card to be filled by passengers. However, I did appreciate the slightly longer flight time which enabled me to sleep somewhat longer than usual.

Starting October 1st, a new-ish Signature Cocktail consisting of Crown Royal, Canadian whisky, gin and cranberry. I liked this version better than the first one as it was a lot less sweet.

(sma)

The Smoked Trout, grapefruit, picked onion, egg, lemon emulsion starter was interesting and more substantial than the previous shellfish appy, but was a bit on the dry side.

In my quest to try something different, I went with the Grilled Chicken Thigh, braised collard greens, prosciutto, baked gnocchi, crispy Parmesan crumbs. While the presentation was a little scary, the portion was substantial and quite tasty. It could have used a little less sauce.

But of course, the start of the show was the return of the Dark Chocolat Fondant!!! Sadly, it seems AC forgot about the dimensions of the cake when spec'ing those plates, and my slice was unceremoniously crooked in an attempt to fit in the plate...

Menu photos below:

Right cake wrong dimension. Obviously a kitchen error. Cake should be rectangular when pre-plated.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by gabdusch

Ah, you just answered my curiosity! Think I'm going to pass...
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Does anyone have a recent menu from AC01 (YYZ-HND)? I see a lot of menus on here for Tokyo-Toronto but not the other way around....
Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Did the YVR-PEK and then PEK-YYZ route last week. The menus were brand new as I saw the attendants folding them before take off.

Forgot to take pics of the menu itself, but got this code on the inside fold, NJHMHCGP-NJMSNE-NJHSE78-NJHLMHE 10/18. Does it mean anything?

AC029 YVR-PEK
Smoked trout w/ garlic bread. A bit dry, but the different flavors were interesting. The garlic bread was soggy though.

Hawksworth grilled chicken thigh. Great portion and the gnocchi was quite good.

Fruit and cheese plates w/ some Port.

Delicious.

AC032 PEK-YYZ
Code inside the fold was BJS-JHMHWGP-JMSNW-JHSW-JHBHW2 10/18

Had the new signature drink. Never tried the older one as the ingredients looked too sweet, but this one sounded alright and it was a nice surprise. Interestingly enough, the SD serving me was going to make me the old one until I mentioned that I was looking forward to try the new one. Had to remind him what the mix of alcohol was.

Pork rillettes, dried apricot chutney, sesame lavash, lemon shaved fennel, balsamic dressing. They didn't have any garlic bread unfortunately. The salad was mixed greens, yellow zucchini, pumpkin, Parmesan, vinaigrette.

Mushroom duxelles filled chicken breast, spicy grape sauce, pesto spaghetti, broccoli, red and yellow peppers. Again, I went with the chicken option and wasn't disappointed. Although the spaghetti was a bit dry.

Main dinner menu. Cheesecake was good.

Had the omelette. Nothing special to write about.

Had the South African white. The German white was too sour for me. Port was actually quite alright.

Drinks w/ the new signature drink ingredients.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
View from the Wing is reporting that United is going back to pre-plated mains in Polaris class...

Starting February 1 business class entrees will be plated in advance in order to reduce flight attendant workload and allow them to reduce flight attendant staffing in the cabin by one position. Those entrees aren’t going to look very appealing when they make it to the customer.
Is this the next enhancement that Air Canada will offer in its International Business Class / Signature Service?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Didn't AC only recently begin plating on board a couple years ago?

And I don't think they can letaloy remove any crew. I thought they were right at the limit.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
View from the Wing is reporting that United is going back to pre-plated mains in Polaris class...

Is this the next enhancement that Air Canada will offer in its International Business Class / Signature Service?
No. AC already had gone through this a while ago. I have long suspected it has been a major contributing factor to food coming up overreheated more often than not.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

"Starting February 1 business class entrees will be plated in advance in order to reduce flight attendant workload and allow them to reduce flight attendant staffing in the cabin by one position. Those entrees aren’t going to look very appealing when they make it to the customer."

Ah, but AC has already at least TWICE reduced the FA numbers on flights and in just the last number of years on my TPAC routes, and it has been noticeable. My argument is that 1:50 whatever might be fine for the safety requirements but it is not for the service promise.

Also, AC spent a small bundle of bucks creating and promoting the Signature Class service - especially on international flights and wide body transcons. I would think that AC wouldn't look smart if they went back to J meals that are"pre-plated" or whatever that means. While the current meals are plated in the galley, I and others have posted here that the food is cold because the plates are cold. It is beyond annoying. I get that AC didn't want to buy warming ovens for plates etc, I get that AC does not respond well if crew warm a cup or plate.

IMHO, I think AC cabin crew face a challenge. Many know how much the tickets cost, and their compassionate side understand the frustration.

However, having just flown two UA long-haul 13-hours flights, I can say their hot meals were served on hot plates and it was really nice. My meals on NZ and QF and EY were all on warmed or hot plates.

As for the overall UA service, I'll post eventually on the UA forum. I will tell you though that watching these cabin crew serve 60 J in 2 large Polaris cabins was pretty impressive. The only J cabins I've personally flown in with similar or larger J cabins are LX, SQ and EY.

BTW, in the VFTW quote you link, I note that he also posted the UA memo to FAs where UA compares what DL and AA do. That in itself is the biggest problem with the US3, and especially AA and UA who seem to copy DL at every turn.

AC, with all its faults, at least offers some new and innovative things from time to time.
Stranger and DNAwizard like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Didn't AC only recently begin plating on board a couple years ago?

And I don't think they can letaloy remove any crew. I thought they were right at the limit.
Yes, plating isn't something that AC has done since forever.

Back in the early/mid 2000s and up to at least a more recent point a few years ago, it was all prepared upside down by the caterer so it could be simply plunked onto a plate upside-up. (or something to that effect; I remember watching a mini-documentary-style clip created by AC on this)
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
While the current meals are plated in the galley, I and others have posted here that the food is cold because the plates are cold. It is beyond annoying. I get that AC didn't want to buy warming ovens for plates etc, I get that AC does not respond well if crew warm a cup or plate.
Oh my last flight, the seared tuna appetizer had ice shards in it and the mozzarella balls in my salmon salad main were completely frozen.

Last edited by capedreamer; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.