Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by moorw003
They're new. I thought they were only on the 787s, but maybe they refitted the galleys when they changed the seat configs on the 777s (especially the HKG 5).

The steam ovens are infinitely better for decent meals.
They're also on all 777 and A330s.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:06 am

Anyone know when the new wine offerings are coming out? Wasn't it supposed to be this month or last? Haven't heard anything on FT...
Old May 2, 2017, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Anyone know when the new wine offerings are coming out? Wasn't it supposed to be this month or last? Haven't heard anything on FT...
I have not gone anywhere lately.

Next trip is later this month. By then hopefully the wine will have improved.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:26 am
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by hydrogen
On my return trip yesterday from Hong Kong, the SD told me they were now changing the menu every 3 months. I gather this would include the wine section as well.

Veronique Rivest's choices were on board, both on AC 15 and AC 8 in the last 10 days.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsfrSE

Veronique Rivest's choices were on board, both on AC 15 and AC 8 in the last 10 days.
So, were they better than previously?
Old May 2, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
On my return trip yesterday from Hong Kong, the SD told me they were now changing the menu every 3 months. I gather this would include the wine section as well.

it'd be great if they put wine suggestions next to the main meal selections on the menu.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
Yes, AC used to serve hot meals on short hauls before (YYZ-LGA/EWR).

Remembered stuff like burritos, skewers served on meal tray like AM breakfast.....

Quite a bit of rush but appreciated it IMO.... let me see if I can find photos at home
Yeah, I remember that, but those were more like "hot snacks" than proper meals. Still nice though for shorthaul flights.
Old May 2, 2017, 2:14 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
So, were they better than previously?
I would say somewhat better than before, but not on par in my opinion with the wines on CX or JAL business class.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the late-night TATL departures (AC876 YYZ-FRA etc.) now seem to feature the regular four main courses while still serving all courses at once (the "supper service" or whatever it's called that was introdcued last year).

Definitely much better than the choice of two NA-style main courses AC offered when it introduced the supper service.

THe duck was quite nice.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I was pleasantly surprised to see that the late-night TATL departures (AC876 YYZ-FRA etc.) now seem to feature the regular four main courses while still serving all courses at once (the "supper service" or whatever it's called that was introdcued last year).

Definitely much better than the choice of two NA-style main courses AC offered when it introduced the supper service.

THe duck was quite nice.
Did you confirm with the SD that this was an intentional change, or was it just a one-off?

I was surprised and disappointed last year when I was presented with the supper service on one of the late night departures. If this really is change, it is certainly welcome.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
Time to eat some humble pie... I stand corrected. On the IBC page, under the Meals and beverages section, it states "On most flights* departing Canada, following an after-take off cocktail service, start your meal with a Hawksworth signature appetizer, such as poached chilled prawns with fennel, orange, pickled onion, horseradish celeriac puree and breadcrumbs." Much further down the page, the asterix is amplified with "*Not available on flights AC822, 858, 860, 876 and 888."

It would have been kind if the booking page for these flights noted the difference, stating that they only offered the Late Evening Express Supper menu. Still, the onus is on the passenger to search every page at aircanada.com to find out what exceptions there will be for their specific flight. We can't claim (as I originally did) that we weren't advised in advance.
Curiously, the IBC page still has the statement "On most flights* departing Canada..." but then there is no additional detail regarding the asterix (there is no fine print anywhere). The text "*Not available on flights AC822, 858, 860, 876 and 888" has been removed.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Curiously, the IBC page still has the statement "On most flights* departing Canada..." but then there is no additional detail regarding the asterix (there is no fine print anywhere). The text "*Not available on flights AC822, 858, 860, 876 and 888" has been removed.
Interesting. Curious what they do on the GRU and SCL/EZE flights, 90 and 92.

BTW, same page has the wine list from the new sommelier:

Apart from the Drapper and port,

Vineland Estates Select, Niagara Peninsula (Canada); Is that the late vintage? If it is, not so cheap.

Jurtschitsch Grüner Veltliner Terrassen, Kamptal (Austria), about CAD 16.

Vini Be Good Les Athlètes du Vin Pinot Noir, Touraine (France). Does not seem to be sold anywhere in North America. In the UK, GBP 15. Alas, I am no great fan of Loire pinot noir. Misses the minerality of a good burgundy. But does not seem all that cheap. I suspect emphasis on fruit, which is not what I go for.

Volpaia Citto Toscana (Italy) CAD 13-15. Volpaia is one of the better chianti folks. At least their reserve is one of the best chianti. But this is their lower brands and it's cheap.

Masroig Rojalet Selecció, Montsant (Spain) USD 8.70. So probably 12-15 in Canada? Montsant is good value. Kind of Priorat on the cheap; but then usually you get what you pay for. Also, fruit rather than minerality. n my book, when young priorat is not really drinkable. Really need aging to round off the edges.

Bottom line, these are all stuff that I would not serve hosts at home, even folks who know nothing about wines. My wife will continue cursing me for still drinking these cheap Ac wines...
Old May 6, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you confirm with the SD that this was an intentional change, or was it just a one-off?

I was surprised and disappointed last year when I was presented with the supper service on one of the late night departures. If this really is change, it is certainly welcome.
Sure, I didn't confirm.

The menu listed the following:

"green salad
your choice of main course (duck, cod, beef, pasta)
cheese
fresh fruit
....served all at once"

Since the printed menu and what was actually served were identical, my assumption was that this is the new/modified/improved "supper menu".
Old May 8, 2017, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Further to your post in the other thread:

Originally Posted by Fiordland
We need more posts like these. Perhaps AC will get the message and start to understand that flying the Canadian flag involves supply from one of the two west coast chocolate suppliers.

Nestle and Kit Kat are fine but a Luxury airline would do better, perhaps we need to wait for WS.

I often wonder why CX and SQ, just to name 2 examples, can offer much higher quality items. I'll assume AC does not see any value in spending the money. Sad really.

First photo is from my recent CX flights (YYZ-HKG). Other photos on from SQ from a few months ago.

How hard is it to have better quality especially on international flights?

Attached Images    
Old May 8, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left

I often wonder why CX and SQ, just to name 2 examples, can offer much higher quality items. I'll assume AC does not see any value in spending the money. Sad really.

First photo is from my recent CX flights (YYZ-HKG). Other photos on from SQ from a few months ago.
These don't look Belgian.

France is not really known for chocolate.

(BTW Godiva is not really Belgian anymore either. I go for Neuhaus; although the name sounds German it's the real thing.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.