Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Status Match - Success

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
There are much better/less controversial ways to attract and retain readers (since you claimed you didn't need the status and did it for kicks).

This type of journalism is why many don't trust FFer bloggers.

AC's community is much smaller, and easier for readers (and AC itself) to peruse these pages so you shouldn't be surprised by the negative reaction. The fact that you made modifications afterwards to your post(s) (and your blog) clearly show you are sensitive to any unintended consequences (which seem to have slipped your mind when you first wrote your piece.)
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by kwflyer
There are much better/less controversial ways to attract and retain readers (since you claimed you didn't need the status and did it for kicks).

This type of journalism is why many don't trust FFer bloggers.

AC's community is much smaller, and easier for readers (and AC itself) to peruse these pages so you shouldn't be surprised by the negative reaction. The fact that you made modifications afterwards to your post(s) (and your blog) clearly show you are sensitive to any unintended consequences (which seem to have slipped your mind when you first wrote your piece.)
I in no way did it for readers (I started my blog a month ago, I started the status match in April).

As I said previously, I made the modifications as a result of being cornered.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by kwflyer
He did it for the book and movie deals.
Stars in his eyes
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by durberville
I in no way did it for readers (I started my blog a month ago, I started the status match in April).

I had no problem with your post or thread, not sure why some would take offence and sorry to hear FT isn't so "flame-free" (but neither is RFD or many other forums, sad to say)

I enjoy your blog and its original contents, keep up the good work, and maybe just don't over-post at FT
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Good job and kudos OP!

Some of the people here are are AC fanbois, if AC tell them to jump they will say how high! Or even other FF program some are diehards lol.

Status Matching are becoming very common these days, a lot of companies would like to earn your business. Some Hotel chains are even doing it and its common knowledge.

Can you please PM me your blog?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by durberville

Yet you posted it to your blog. If it wasn't such a big deal, and didn't have any strategic intentions, you would not have posted about it. The fact that you did, clearly showed your motivations for readership/publicity (among other reasons).

If you felt cornered so easily on such an (obviously) controversial topic, you will have a tough time being a lawyer.

Last edited by kwflyer; Aug 2, 2014 at 8:38 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:00 am

Haters will hate! Great post (or what was previously there).
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
OP never did tell us what he wrote to AC to make this request, just further confirmed his leveraging several undeserved status matches to scam his way to yet one more. Of course, in the end, he'll have to actually earn status since it now appears he's burned his bridges on several STAR airlines.

As for AC making SMs easier, as noted this has only been done when previously partner airlines have left the STAR alliance and AC would be an appropriate alternative if the elite wished to stay in the fold.

I suppose AC in this case was trying to appear to be more compassionate by granting an SM, but how automatic was it? As I note above, what tale of woe did the OP give AC? He only posted half the story even in the unedited initial post here and on his blog.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by Shareholder
OP never did tell us what he wrote to AC to make this request, just further confirmed his leveraging several undeserved status matches to scam his way to yet one more. Of course, in the end, he'll have to actually earn status since it now appears he's burned his bridges on several STAR airlines.

As for AC making SMs easier, as noted this has only been done when previously partner airlines have left the STAR alliance and AC would be an appropriate alternative if the elite wished to stay in the fold.

I suppose AC in this case was trying to appear to be more compassionate by granting an SM, but how automatic was it? As I note above, what tale of woe did the OP give AC? He only posted half the story even in the unedited initial post here and on his blog.
The email went something like: "I have status here, would you grant me equivalent status? Here's my AP #, a scan, and a screenshot of AC activity. Many thanks."

Last edited by durberville; Aug 3, 2014 at 7:20 am
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
I came here after everything was already edited. Can someone update me on what OP did that was so controversial?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ibopm
I came here after everything was already edited. Can someone update me on what OP did that was so controversial?
It was a status match from AB to AC, and apparently some FT member finds it "unethical" because they think it is a "scam".

I don't see it a "scam" in anyway because AC legitimately gave OP the status.

Also, I believe OP did nothing unethical because his intention was to share this information so that people who flies Air Canada regularly can benefit long term.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rehoult
I can appreciate your sharing, it was mostly the amount of detail that made no sense to me, as it seems certain to bite you in the rear.

In terms of aggression, this community (AC forum), has watched as key benefits of the program like IKK and upgrade sharing get gutted due to abuse by a limited number of status holders. As a result, we're quite touchy to people who openly advocate abuse (understanding that ethical lines differ between people) as such behavior frequently has bad results for the entire community.
AC didn't limit IKK because of abuse, unless you call Calins bonus abuse.
AC just cut its programs when it realized it could, AC flyers are not leaving to West Jet so AC can cut perks.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:08 am

Again, it'd good to share information but just not too much. The posting of the status match email is good enough. You didn't need to share how you cheated air canada By sharing too much info you jeopardise yourself
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Originally Posted by J_rob129
It was a status match from AB to AC, and apparently some FT member finds it "unethical" because they think it is a "scam".

Also, I believe OP did nothing unethical because his intention was to share this information so that people who flies Air Canada regularly can benefit long term.
Which airline is AB again? Air Berlin?

I was under the impression that he faked some screenshots and just sent it to AC.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by J_rob129

OP used 2013 Air Berlin status to get AC 2014 status. He did not have 2014 status with Air Berlin, yet says he explained that to AC and they status matched him anyway. I somewhat doubt it unless OP is honest and AC made a mistake, because AC would not give someone a status match when they no longer have status from the airline they are applying from.

If AC were to give him an accurate status match, it would be from 0 to 0.

People who fly Air Canada regularly have the opportunity to earn AC status legitimately on miles flown or segments. If one can't even make P25, they aren't what I'd call regular AC flyers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.