Search

Air Canada Status Match - Success

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by c_9
Pretty common on FT:

Day 1: "Waaaaaah Altitude has been devalued!"
Day 2: "Hey I found a way to get more free stuff from Air Canada without paying more, thereby costing the airline money!"
Day 3: "Waaaaaah Altitude has been devalued again!"
I would think that all the credit card churning has a much larger affect on the devaluations than the odd status match that might be given to someone who doesn't end up flying often with Air Canada.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Where the OP comes across as inexperienced and naive is to post his status match details and included the fact that he was matched from AB. I bet AC can count the number of status matches from AB in the past few weeks on just 1 hand or less.

If you think AC can be petty, this is the type of thing that they will galdly crackdown on and rescind your status match and perhaps even close your AE account - which is not unheard of in these parts.

Good luck and enjoy the shiny new cards that you will have for the next few months.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
At the end of the day its the decision of the company or AC on whether they want to do a Satus Match or not, I believe people here doesn't have a say on who they Status Match or not, well maybe unless you're a 1% share holder not 0.01%

Here is a site specifically for Status matching! people posting if it was successful or not.

http://www.statusmatcher.com/

AC Specific - Just in case people are too naive thinking that OP is the only one that ever did this lol
http://www.statusmatcher.com/company/21269
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by yulred
I don't see status matches as harming the integrity of a FF program any more than, say, the AC VIP program, which focuses on what the airline might gain from someone in the future, as opposed to what it already has over the previous year.

AC status matched OP because they think he will bring them revenue. If he doesn't, he'll lose his status in a year or so.
Yup, that's exactly why they did it.

And the modified followup post by the OP where he made clear that wouldn't happen is the reason people jumped all over him. For those who missed it, that would be the one where he stated that he doesn't fly enough revenue flights to keep status on any airline, so matches are the only way he can get it. In other words, he's going to send AC his lounge bill for this year before he matches to get another carrier to cover next year's bill.

I find that offensive and unethical (however, ethics are a personal subject, so I understand that others may not).
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:24 am
c_9

Programs: AC 25K only, he said through tears from the back of the aircraft...
Originally Posted by mendy7511
I would think that all the credit card churning has a much larger affect on the devaluations than the odd status match that might be given to someone who doesn't end up flying often with Air Canada.
I agree - my comment was about FT in general. Every post seems to end up near the "give me more but don't charge me more" zone pretty quickly.

Added: I meant it with a of course.

Last edited by c_9; Aug 5, 2014 at 2:09 pm Reason: Added a smile.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by rehoult
Yup, that's exactly why they did it.

And the modified followup post by the OP where he made clear that wouldn't happen is the reason people jumped all over him. For those who missed it, that would be the one where he stated that he doesn't fly enough revenue flights to keep status on any airline, so matches are the only way he can get it. In other words, he's going to send AC his lounge bill for this year before he matches to get another carrier to cover next year's bill.

I find that offensive and unethical (however, ethics are a personal subject, so I understand that others may not).
Wow. The level of jealousy on this thread is reminiscent of elementary school.

I find your last statement sour grapes. Ethics, please. And of course you have never exceeded the speed limit either.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
Ethics, please. And of course you have never exceeded the speed limit either.
I don't find that unethical, I do find the OPs actions unethical. You are free to, and appear to, disagree. That's fine; neither of us are right, ethics are an individual thing.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mendy7511
I don't think it is that, I think it is because Aeroplan is basically "printing points."

It is in their interest, for example, to offer promotions and new ways of earning points as ways of engaging customer interest. This creates new points out of nowhere, points that were before earned by flying. Churn is of course one fraction of that but I don't think is the majority as most people will hold their credit cards.

So on the flip side, to remain neutral they need to devalue the points.

As such they play a shell game. It does give an opportunity for someone to take advantage of all these promos and point offers to earn extra points, and this comes at a cost to the person who is just flying and earning the "old fashioned way."

For the promo point gatherer, these are not devaluations, but they are beneficial. They are only devaluations from the perspective of the traditional flyer.

Aeroplan is basically redistributing points then amongst its customers. The perception of the promos as an opportunity to earn all these extra points hopefully causes more customers to sign up or to participate and be exclusive in their business decisions.

The other Altitude related devaluations are separate of course from the points devaluations.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
I don't find that unethical, I do find the OPs actions unethical. You are free to, and appear to, disagree. That's fine; neither of us are right, ethics are an individual thing.
And yet one can easily draw parallels in the two cases, insofar as both essentially amount to unethical in that they involve a deviation from what the 'community' involved considers acceptable practice (otherwise why have speed limits at all).

To be honest, I still don't have an issue with what OP has done since it still doesn't strike me as any different to accepting a free sample without having any intentuon of buying the product.

Take the AMEX gold promo for instance: is it wrong to apply for the card, get the free points, take advantage of the fee waiver, enjoy the benefits for a year, and drop it as soon as the fee waiver expires? I don't think so, to be honest. This AC status is the same thing. If he's not flying a lot - since, apparently, he doesn't - his cost to AC is minimal. If he does fly them, which he might because of the status(the e-ups are useless without a revenue ticket), one could argue that the net benefit for AC>0.

Those who earned it the hard way might think its unfair, but when were these programs ever meant to be fair? (Insert net spend argument)
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Horse isn't dead yet?

keep beating ....
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
I don't really see much difference between this and the many on this forum who obtained A3*G and then only used it for lounge access going forward, crediting to their other program. But again, this behaviour will likely make it worse for the rest.

In both cases, the result of naivete by the company.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by jcamp028
I don't really see much difference between this and the many on this forum who obtained A3*G and then only used it for lounge access going forward, crediting to their other program. But again, this behaviour will likely make it worse for the rest.

In both cases, the result of naivete by the company.
Or maybe they make a customer for life or make a customer choose AC instead of another when the price is the same.

It's business...the people who call this person a scammer are jealous little children that are upset about not getting the same thing.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
It's business...the people who call this person a scammer are jealous little children that are upset about not getting the same thing.
Yes, anyone who doesn't share your opinion is a jealous little child.

Now that is a childish attitude.

The guy removed the details, both sides have been said... I agree with Allvest.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold / Korean Air Morning Calm / Qatar Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Platinum
Anyone recently had luck getting a status match to Air Canada?

I have submitted my details to Air Canada to see if they'll match it.

Will keep everyone posted on what they say.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by minjunkwak
Anyone recently had luck getting a status match to Air Canada?

I have submitted my details to Air Canada to see if they'll match it.

Will keep everyone posted on what they say.
Yes. Me.

Last fall I had a bunch of travel on the horizon. Due to job changes in the previous year, I had been busted down to zero status on AC. I was looking for lounge access, etc. on some Asia travel, so I made a request for a status match E50k based on my AA Plat (earned through a challenge).

I emailed my request in late October 2014.
I received an email confirming the match today.

I currently sit at 30k miles for 2015. My bum is in SIN as I write this, just prior to heading back to YOW on an all *A mostly AC routing. And I have an *A Africa trip coming up. I will cross the 50k threshold somewhere over Africa on June 1st.

Thank you AC for taking over six months to grant me 50k status for all of three weeks. Thanks also for pointing out to me in the email that..."we will not match your status again in the future."

Unfortunately there was no button in the email to accept or decline the offer. I am grateful, however I will get very, very little utility out of this gesture. The only benefit I can see is lounge access at FRA or ZRH on my way to Africa. I am thinking about refusing the match, or at least trying to do so.

What would you do?
--
13F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.