Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Status Match - Success

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by keitherson
Well when you status match them 6 months after they request it...
Status matching programs usually provide the match from the point it is granted to the end of the next full earning year to allow for a "full proof" that the match requester indeed does travel as much as they claim/say...
Old May 31, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Status matching programs usually provide the match from the point it is granted to the end of the next full earning year to allow for a "full proof" that the match requester indeed does travel as much as they claim/say...
Yeah, they usually do, except AC. I ranted about it in a previous thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ply-email.html

I first did a status match in 2012 for United, and I was 1K with them for 3 years. They didn't even grant you full status until you completed their flying "challenge" and I would be glad if AC did the same. I don't expect a freebie but if they are trying to attract frequent fliers to Aeroplan with status matches, they're doing it wrong.

My full "qualification year" was basically August to December and I had to meet full (not reduced) requirements flying on AC.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yeah, they usually do, except AC. I ranted about it in a previous thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ply-email.html

I first did a status match in 2012 for United, and I was 1K with them for 3 years. They didn't even grant you full status until you completed their flying "challenge" and I would be glad if AC did the same. I don't expect a freebie but if they are trying to attract frequent fliers to Aeroplan with status matches, they're doing it wrong.
My apologies... didn't realize that you got screwed on that one...! That is rather lame I must say...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Allvest
This is where the AC representative(s) come across as unconcerned and not genuine. "AFAIK" isn't a phrase which should be used by someone who is the purported official FT mouthpiece of AC passenger operations. It's just dismissive and shows the overall attitude displayed toward customers in general. If you don't know, then why post about it before finding out?
Ben tries to help out at 8am on a Sunday and this is how you react?

I'd rather have an immediate "As far as I know", followed up with a confirmation during business hours (which he may or may not have been planning) than for him to just ignore the thread.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Ben tries to help out at 8am on a Sunday and this is how you react?

I'd rather have an immediate "As far as I know", followed up with a confirmation during business hours (which he may or may not have been planning) than for him to just ignore the thread.
Maybe Ben should take Sundays off.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Allvest
Maybe Ben should take Sundays off.
I like Ben being on FT at anytime. Maybe you should be the one taking Sundays off. Entitlement seems to be a problem on FT and what I see, Ben is not the problem.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
If they are trying to attract frequent fliers to Aeroplan with status matches, they're doing it wrong.
They're not, and they're being pretty clear about it.

- They don't advertise the program.

- As you've seen, they're hardly diligent about responding.

- They frequently shut it down altogether, for months at a time.

- Ben just directly said that they've reviewed it and they're not getting what they want out of it.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:24 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I like Ben being on FT at anytime. Maybe you should be the one taking Sundays off. Entitlement seems to be a problem on FT and what I see, Ben is not the problem.
Why would an airline like AC offer a status match? If AC is suddenly their best option, they'll jump through the appropriate hoops to get status. This isn't the US where there are 3 options for frequent flyers that can steal flyers from each other.

As to your point; the fact is the small group of people who dominate the AC Forum do not want the airlines here. They simply want a forum where they can speculate and whip themselves into a frenzy of complaining. Anything the airline does is wrong and bad, and anyone who differs from their opinion get berated and harassed.

I greatly appreciate Ben's input, but I wonder why he bothers. Its mostly a case casting pearls before swine.

Last edited by PLeblond; Jun 2, 2015 at 1:50 pm Reason: replace word 'thread' with 'forum in second paragraph
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Why would an airline like AC offer a status match? If AC is suddenly their best option, they'll jump through the appropriate hoops to get status. This isn't the US where there are 3 options for frequent flyers that can steal flyers from each other.

As to your point; the fact is the small group of people who dominate the AC thread do not want the airlines here. They simply want a forum where they can speculate and whip themselves into a frenzy of complaining. Anything the airline does is wrong and bad, and anyone who differs from their opinion get berated and harassed.

I greatly appreciate Ben's input, but I wonder why he bothers. Its mostly a case casting pearls before swine.
Because this may lead to an individual choosing AC over WS. Case in point, I wasn't sure if I wanted to fly WS or AC when I started this job. The fact that AC status matched me (again long story and not sharing details), meant that I then gave AC every single $, as opposed to trying out WS etc etc.

There are still two very competitive products within Canada for domestic travel. AC wins in many respects and loses in others. (e.g. look at Zone 1 on WS - no one is ever there!). So I do think there is a place for status matches for AC.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Because this may lead to an individual choosing AC over WS. Case in point, I wasn't sure if I wanted to fly WS or AC when I started this job. The fact that AC status matched me (again long story and not sharing details), meant that I then gave AC every single $, as opposed to trying out WS etc etc.

There are still two very competitive products within Canada for domestic travel. AC wins in many respects and loses in others. (e.g. look at Zone 1 on WS - no one is ever there!). So I do think there is a place for status matches for AC.
Yes, there is a place for status match, but the majority of people complaining about this subjects are people trying to play games. Just for laughs, I would like to see AC files of people requesting status match.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jun 2, 2015 at 11:31 am
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by yvrgary
They're not, and they're being pretty clear about it.

- They don't advertise the program.

- As you've seen, they're hardly diligent about responding.

- They frequently shut it down altogether, for months at a time.

- Ben just directly said that they've reviewed it and they're not getting what they want out of it.
I much prefer to know what I'm getting, and punctual service. They're not getting what they want out of it, because they're doing it wrong.

If anything, the entire thing should be set up like a challenge similar to what every US carrier does: AA/DL/UA/B6/VX. Even F9 does a challenge. The only carrier that does a full status match is AS.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:53 pm

With all the respect I have for WS and their business plan, I respectfully disagree that someone who has status with another airline (included in one of the big 3 alliances) would consider WS as an option. And even if they would, getting status on WS is relatively simple.

I don't see any advantages for AC to match someone from another programme.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:54 pm
Suspended

I much prefer to know what I'm getting, and punctual service. They're not getting what they want out of it, because they're doing it wrong.

If anything, the entire thing should be set up like a challenge similar to what every US carrier does: AA/DL/UA/B6/VX. Even F9 does a challenge. The only carrier that does a full status match is AS.
They are not getting value out of it, because the majority of the time, the pax that are requesting status matching have no real value to AC. These pax only add to their costs. It has nothing to do with the job AC is doing. Forget US carriers, there product is well below AC's product from J class to lounges. Their lounges have limited food and charge for drinks in most cases. Most Asian and European airlines require real proof before matching status, shouldn't AC require proof too. Want Status match, start flying AC and then apply. It's worked for my wife.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PLeblond
With all the respect I have for WS and their business plan, I respectfully disagree that someone who has status with another airline (included in one of the big 3 alliances) would consider WS as an option. And even if they would, getting status on WS is relatively simple.

I don't see any advantages for AC to match someone from another programme.
Okie dokie, since you quoted me, I guess I best reply

Here's my specific situation.

1) Started job. Not sure if I wanted to fly WS or AC
2) I bought status (not saying which airline or what alliance as I promised I wouldn't)
3) Flew a bit of WS, flew a bit of AC. Found AC a bit better, but no status at the time. Suffered for a few months.
4) Submitted an application for status match. Bang E50K. All money now directed at AC.

Then WS matched AC after the Altitude devastation. Got WS gold. Part of me was still thankful that AC matched my status so while I was very vocal about my feelings, I stuck around with AC. Why? Still slightly better value and I got used to flying with AC. I got used to the crews, I got used to EnRoute, I got used to learning fare classes, how to eupgrade and how the AC program works.

I didn't want to learn WS all over again. Now having said that if AC didn't status match me in the beginning, would things be different? I'm not sure. But there is a possibility I would have stuck with WS in the beginning because they are cheaper and more compliant. So AC took a bet on me, and it paid off for them. (and for Do's and the pleasure of meeting some of you!)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:59 pm

Okie dokie, since you quoted me, I guess I best reply

Here's my specific situation.

1) Started job. Not sure if I wanted to fly WS or AC
2) I bought status (not saying which airline or what alliance as I promised I wouldn't)
3) Flew a bit of WS, flew a bit of AC. Found AC a bit better, but no status at the time. Suffered for a few months.
4) Submitted an application for status match. Bang E50K. All money now directed at AC.

Then WS matched AC after the Altitude devastation. Got WS gold. Part of me was still thankful that AC matched my status so while I was very vocal about my feelings, I stuck around with AC. Why? Still slightly better value and I got used to flying with AC. I got used to the crews, I got used to EnRoute, I got used to learning fare classes, how to eupgrade and how the AC program works.

I didn't want to learn WS all over again. Now having said that if AC didn't status match me in the beginning, would things be different? I'm not sure. But there is a possibility I would have stuck with WS in the beginning because they are cheaper and more compliant. So AC took a bet on me, and it paid off for them. (and for Do's and the pleasure of meeting some of you!)
What I was saying is if someone has status with another airline, and is used to getting the perks of AA Platinum or Delta Medallion Gold or BA executive gold, I don't think WS is a reasonable alternative, so why would AC bother.

And anyone with *G already gets most of the benefits when flying.

You may be an exception, but I'd bet you would have ended up with AC anyways even had they not given you a status match. All in all, why should they spend money to lure customers they are 90% sure they're going to get in the long run?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.