Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Baggage Handlers Toss Bags 20Ft! VIDEO!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Didn't AC get the 777HDs for free as compensation due to 787 delays? Or am I making stuff up?
You are making stuff up....where on earth did you hear such utter nonsense?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Didn't AC get the 777HDs for free as compensation due to 787 delays? Or am I making stuff up?
Apparently they got them at very very good prices due to the 787 delay and AC being short on lift.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Dorian
This is likely going to create much greater enforcement of carry-on rules.

In general I'm in favour of enforced carry-on rules, just hopefully not totally crazy like some carrier's 7kg rule that they won't bend on.
Good. It's about time. The cabin hogs are getting out of control.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently they got them at very very good prices due to the 787 delay and AC being short on lift.
Weren't they originally built for another customer who cancelled the order? Which is why they were cheap. Other customer probably already paid part of the price before walking away.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Stranger
Weren't they originally built for another customer who cancelled the order? Which is why they were cheap. Other customer probably already paid part of the price before walking away.
Ya, Asiana, hence the interiors. Rumour is they got them at "cost".
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Ya, Asiana, hence the interiors. Rumour is they got them at "cost".
"At cost" could really mean anything depending on which "cost calculation" method is being used. Iīm confident I could calculate the "cost" of a 77W to be anywhere betwen $150million and $350million and all of the calcuations would be perfectly plausible.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
For the record

On Thursday 17th April AC137 was operated by C-FNNW fin#747 with a schedule timing of YYZ dep 2200 (actual 2233) and YVR arr 0255 (actual 0305), not exactly a problem unless trying to make a connection.

If we didn't already know the 77HD was to be avoided like the plague we now have another reason

We've already heard that pax with hard-shell carry-ons have been forced to gate-check them.

So, what is not clear at all is the statement regarding "late" checking passengers being forced to gate-check carry-ons - (all carry-ons or just hard shells?) because all overhead bin space was full?

Since boarding is by row number surely when a passenger has checked-in is irrelevant?

Surely Air Canada is morally obligated to warn passengers that in fact they may not on some occasions be able to have any carry-on baggage?

I won't even get into the fact that many passengers carry essential medication in carry-ons; stuff that cannot just be shoved into pockets.

BUT, we all see it almost daily; too many too large or heavy bags are being toted as carry-ons - stuff that should never even make it as far as the gate at all.

One thing for sure is that this problem is only going to get worse until AC takes some drastic steps to curtail the problem that they've created
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
"At cost" could really mean anything depending on which "cost calculation" method is being used. Iīm confident I could calculate the "cost" of a 77W to be anywhere betwen $150million and $350million and all of the calcuations would be perfectly plausible.
Well two pilots on one of the 77HD's have told me the same thing....at Boeing's "cost", possibly with free interiors.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well two pilots on one of the 77HD's have told me the same thing....at Boeing's "cost", possibly with free interiors.
I wasnīt questioning your statement, Iīm quite confident your sources are correct. I was merely pointing out that "at cost" could really mean anything depending on which % of overhead / fixed costs are included. But based on the circumstances it would indeed seem AC got a massive discount, I wouldnīt be surprised if it were ~40% off the list price.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Air Canada SUCKS.

I will always choose another carrier such as Cathay to go to HK over Air Canada. Never use them unless I really have to and even then it's reluctantly; and mind you, I'm speaking of their rip off exec first cabin/service which is what I normally fly.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FastSRT8
Air Canada SUCKS.

I will always choose another carrier such as Cathay to go to HK over Air Canada. Never use them unless I really have to and even then it's reluctantly; and mind you, I'm speaking of their rip off exec first cabin/service which is what I normally fly.
So how do you really feel?

Just curious: Do you always fly TPAC or a mix of intīl destinations? While I personally think there are many better options than AC on TPAC routes, I canīt think of many airlines on routes to South America and Europe with both a better soft product and hard product (for a pax travelling alone).
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
387,021 views on YouTube and counting. Does that qualify as a PR oopsie?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sopwith
387,021 views on YouTube and counting. Does that qualify as a PR oopsie?
We had no idea the attention this was going to attract.

I have also learned tonight from AC that the 2 baggage handlers were fired today.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2flyJ
We had no idea the attention this was going to attract.

I have also learned tonight from AC that the 2 baggage handlers were fired today.
If thatīs true, kudos to AC!^ While there are obviously deeper issues that need to be addressed (such as how to better handle the amount of gate-checked baggage on the 777HD), itīs good to see that AC isnīt taking the "weīll look into it"-while-not-actually-doing-anything approach.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TemboOne
So, what is not clear at all is the statement regarding "late" checking passengers being forced to gate-check carry-ons - (all carry-ons or just hard shells?) because all overhead bin space was full?

Since boarding is by row number surely when a passenger has checked-in is irrelevant?
I'm not sure if you were referring to my post (69)? If so, "late arriving" not late checking-in. I quote the word "late" as they usually begin boarding the 777HD at least 45 minutes before departure despite the boarding pass showing the normal 35 minute boarding time. Many passengers get to the gate 25 minutes before departure only to find they are some of the last to board and there is little or no carry-on storage remaining.

Last edited by luv2flyJ; Apr 20, 2014 at 12:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.