Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL E U/G plus $500

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jmottle
Well that explains it then. I did not realize that.
81% of TATL capacity is, essentially, on 3 "carriers".
Amazing how the most competitive market on the planet can drive all the airlines to work so closely with their partners.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC*50K MM
Originally Posted by djopel00
A number of "P" fares have been showing up (deeply discounted biz class fares).
I fly to AMS frequently, and am about to buy P for the flight to Europe, then whatever is cheapest tango class coming home. (Dont care if im not upgraded on the flight back to YYZ, and the restrictions are actually better than if i booked both segments in P)
Yeah I noticed those P fares yesterday too. One thing I also noted is that only UA has 150% AQM though. LH and SWR have 50% and 100% respectively.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jmottle
Yeah I noticed those P fares yesterday too. One thing I also noted is that only UA has 150% AQM though. LH and SWR have 50% and 100% respectively.
Are you sure about that? LH should have 100% miles on P fares on anything except intra-Europe flights.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: AC*50K MM
Originally Posted by ffsim
Are you sure about that? LH should have 100% miles on P fares on anything except intra-Europe flights.
You are correct, I mis-read the section on the Aeroplan site. I did not see they had broken it down into two sections.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Firstly, regarding the ticket sold with the enticement of the possibility of a free upgrade (without the $500 add-on): AC would lose miserably in a civil court on this one if they failed to provide a refund. A court will not separate unfair marketing practices/tactics from conditions of purchase as suggested by some of the posters defending AC here.
AC would not lose anything in court and they did not do anything illegal. They did not change the ticket's conditions of carriage! Posters that continue to point this out are not defending AC, we're just simply stating the facts.

They changed the Altitude programs benefits. They did this mid year, and in bad faith, potentially alienating loyal customers, but legally they did nothing wrong. Unfortunately AC did not decide to give a full year's notice with add-ons like they did when they diluted E35K and introduced E50K.

https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/terms-conditions

Air Canada Altitude status is a privilege, which can be revoked by Air Canada at its discretion.

Air Canada assumes no liability toward members for anything, including but not limited to, for the cessation of airline partnerships, changes to program benefits & policies, adjustments to mileage accumulation or redemption eligibility, availability of redemption or upgrade seats, definition of and/or revisions to the Air Canada Altitude qualification period or benefit year for status recognition, or access to airport lounges.

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Well I travel as little as possible for business and currently spend $30K+ (J or latitude fares) and usually end up in the 60k-70k miles region.

AC has now lost me for most of that revenue - but will keep their bottom-feeding SE's - I just don't see the reasoning behind that.
If you're travelling only J or Latitude fares, then these changes have no impact to you. In fact, there would be a positive impact, because Latitude now gets 125% AQM and International Business 150% AQM.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yvr76
AC would not lose anything in court and they did not do anything illegal. They did not change the ticket's conditions of carriage! Posters that continue to point this out are not defending AC, we're just simply stating the facts.
Not talking about legal or illegal. But they might lose in court.

However it is arguably the case that they changed the ticket conditions after the ticket was puchased.

They changed the Altitude programs benefits. They did this mid year, and in bad faith, potentially alienating loyal customers, but legally they did nothing wrong. Unfortunately AC did not decide to give a full year's notice with add-ons like they did when they diluted E35K and introduced E50K.
That the claim that the FF program is not part of the contract is merely them saying so. Does not make it true. As in many other cases, large corporations are very good at writing fine print that they know dam*n well would never hold in court. Pure intimidation. By design. Bad faith.

I can say the opposite just the same. Indeed isn't the FF program and benefits very much part of the purchase decision process? And don't they usually make it very much so? In this sort of situation, courts will often take the side of the consumer rather than the bully.

So, when they like it that way, it is, but when they don't it is not?

Too many folks here are ready to take it without even fighting. Why do people settle so happily in loser mode? Bottom line, this will need to be tested in court. Until then we should assume we have a winning hand.

Some of us will recall that a few years back, they suddenly started doing the right thing: announcing changes to the FF program over a year ahead of time. Then suddenly last year they reverted back to their own way. So it is likely that they are aware that the issue is totally up for grab. But that they decided we are wimps, losers. Who won't even put up a fight, even a winning one.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by SEMM
You are right...I don't think AC is overly concerned about loosing your 6K spend.
Versus your millions
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Scandic 2nd Floor, FoundersCard
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not talking about legal or illegal. But they might lose in court.

However it is arguably the case that they changed the ticket conditions after the ticket was puchased.

That the claim that the FF program is not part of the contract is merely them saying so. Does not make it true. As in many other cases, large corporations are very good at writing fine print that they know dam*n well would never hold in court. Pure intimidation. By design. Bad faith.

I can say the opposite just the same. Indeed isn't the FF program and benefits very much part of the purchase decision process? And don't they usually make it very much so? In this sort of situation, courts will often take the side of the consumer rather than the bully.

So, when they like it that way, it is, but when they don't it is not?

Too many folks here are ready to take it without even fighting. Why do people settle so happily in loser mode? Bottom line, this will need to be tested in court. Until then we should assume we have a winning hand.

Some of us will recall that a few years back, they suddenly started doing the right thing: announcing changes to the FF program over a year ahead of time. Then suddenly last year they reverted back to their own way. So it is likely that they are aware that the issue is totally up for grab. But that they decided we are wimps, losers. Who won't even put up a fight, even a winning one.
Yes, because most want to use their time suing Air Canada because they had to sit in economy and not in the front on a 7hr flight to Europe. Upgrades are a not guaranteed. If you want J for sure then buy a J ticket.

Last edited by hitsmith; Apr 16, 2014 at 3:51 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 16, 2014, 3:55 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Actually, small claims court (25k limit in ON) is pretty painless and he has excellent chances of winning using some of the arguments posted in here. AC would probably not even show up...

I am on the side that the 2 are involved in making a purchasing decision no matter what drivel AC spews to serve themselves.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by newbie elite
Actually, small claims court (25k limit in ON) is pretty painless and he has excellent chances of winning using some of the arguments posted in here. AC would probably not even show up...

I am on the side that the 2 are involved in making a purchasing decision no matter what drivel AC spews to serve themselves.
There is no case here, period. I challenge anyone on this forum to find a reference to e-upgrades in the terms of carriage outlined in the OPs ticket. If you can find something there, then you have a case. If you cannot, then there is nothing left to discuss.

Again, Ill point out that the TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EUPGRADES state you need a minimum of a flex fare. No where on the flex fare does it mention eupgrades. You are applying terms and conditions of a completely separate program to suit your case. It doesnt work like that.

Furthermore, AC has not made flex ineligible for upgrades. The ability to upgrade as outlines when the OP bought his ticket still stands, he just now needs to pay a co-pay.

I really want to point out that I am in NO WAY defending AC as the way this rolled out was pretty shaddy and absolutely in bad faith. But ticket terms were not changed, and therefore no right to recourse.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Kind of wish I had some skin in this game. It might be fun to do the small claims thing just to see who is right.

Originally Posted by cruzcap
thanks Tax Dude and yes that was my point....how many are saying screw it and just sitting in the back. And btw...thanks for some of you calling me an idiot etc. This was a long planned vacation where unlike some of you SEs, I do not pay J on AC or others and am willing to play aerolotto. AND, as I said in the second post I will not be flying AC TATL in 2015 and yes i will shop around...wow...ask a simple question....
I didn't call you an idiot, but I also didn't realize that you bought the ticket before the changes were announced. I empathize and would be upset as well if I was in your shoes.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by danapop
There is no case here, period.
I disagree completely. Just because something isn't in an agreement doesn't mean it's not implied or that it can't be read in. 'Outcome based judgments' are a fact of life in the legal world like it or not, and provincial court Judges eat up stories like this all the time because the facts just look so bad for the company. You only argue the law if they facts aren't on your side.

Not that it would ever get there because the second the claim hit a lawyer's desk they'd advise the AC to refund the money as:
a) Losing is a very real possibility;
b) If they lose it's precedent and maybe a news story, if they settle it's not, especially if the settlement contains a non-disclosure clause;
c) Even if they win they won't get any legal costs back, and it's a $2000 ticket vs $500/hr lawyers at a minimum of 10 hours.

Part of my day job is managing litigation a group of companies, and in the situation where they bought the ticket before the rule change, I'd choose to argue the pax's position every time.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Lllahim
Versus your millions
Yet another bizarro statement by you.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: various

As stated above (and by other posters) AC would not allow this to ever get near a court for good reason - they would get their arse kicked. It's clear you don't have a clue about civil court or the civil process. Again, a court will not separate AC tactics to get you to buy a certain fare with their subsequent and arbitrary change to the conditions in place at the time of that purchase. The ticket purchases were made in good faith but the subsequent change affecting those few purchasers was not.

By the way, the remedy is a simple one - it's refund - not a million dollar suit but AC's arrogance in these kind of issues pees me off.

If you're travelling only J or Latitude fares, then these changes have no impact to you. In fact, there would be a positive impact, because Latitude now gets 125% AQM and International Business 150% AQM.
It most certainly does. I buy Latitude and J fares for business travel - I depended on the ability to upgrade Tango+ fares for my well-earned leisure travel with my spouse. This change has screwed this opportunity.

I can't imagine AC wanted to chase customers like me away but that's the net result.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:30 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
The upgrade is not guaranteed and is contingent on available space i.e. AC willingness to offer an upgrade.

How is that a "condition" of the flex ticket purchased? Seriously would like to see the analysis laid out, don't agree or disagree at this point...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.