FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL E U/G plus $500
View Single Post
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:15 pm
yvr76

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Firstly, regarding the ticket sold with the enticement of the possibility of a free upgrade (without the $500 add-on): AC would lose miserably in a civil court on this one if they failed to provide a refund. A court will not separate unfair marketing practices/tactics from conditions of purchase as suggested by some of the posters defending AC here.
AC would not lose anything in court and they did not do anything illegal. They did not change the ticket's conditions of carriage! Posters that continue to point this out are not defending AC, we're just simply stating the facts.

They changed the Altitude programs benefits. They did this mid year, and in bad faith, potentially alienating loyal customers, but legally they did nothing wrong. Unfortunately AC did not decide to give a full year's notice with add-ons like they did when they diluted E35K and introduced E50K.

https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/terms-conditions

Air Canada Altitude status is a privilege, which can be revoked by Air Canada at its discretion.

Air Canada assumes no liability toward members for anything, including but not limited to, for the cessation of airline partnerships, changes to program benefits & policies, adjustments to mileage accumulation or redemption eligibility, availability of redemption or upgrade seats, definition of and/or revisions to the Air Canada Altitude qualification period or benefit year for status recognition, or access to airport lounges.

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy
Well I travel as little as possible for business and currently spend $30K+ (J or latitude fares) and usually end up in the 60k-70k miles region.

AC has now lost me for most of that revenue - but will keep their bottom-feeding SE's - I just don't see the reasoning behind that.
If you're travelling only J or Latitude fares, then these changes have no impact to you. In fact, there would be a positive impact, because Latitude now gets 125% AQM and International Business 150% AQM.