Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL E U/G plus $500

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The world is full of illogical behaviour
Illogical according to who?

Fare is just one of the many factors in the choice of airlines.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Lllahim
It is not surprising that all the posters who support AC in this thread are SE. When SEMM compares shopping for lower J fares to driving a full tank of gas to save 50c, I just wonder. SE has first choice everywhere yet some of them act as if a benefit to others is a loss by SE. They don't co-pay (yet). They defend their privilege with phrases like: business decision, this is how business works, choice, AC is in business to make money, more room for me, .... I see myself as a consumer out there to defend my interest. I also see the majority of us here as consumers. I am not oblivious to all the arguments about business but it is not my place to defend airline decisions that impact adversely on FF. AC has well paid professionals to do it for them. Now that practically all meaningful benefits have been stripped from the mid-tier, any more money from AC's golden egg Loyalty Program will have to come SE. Then watch them whine!
Sure. It's natural.

This SE has no loyalty to AC. But this SE also wants to fly non-stop or direct flights in J or F to Europe and Asia without transiting via the US. So far, only AC fits the bill.

If AC cuts SE benefits, I would still be SE, until there is another airline that can do non-stop or direct flights to Europe and Asia without transiting via the US. This is even true even if there were no possibility of upgrade and everybody had to pay for J.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Sure. It's natural.

This SE has no loyalty to AC. But this SE also wants to fly non-stop or direct flights in J or F to Europe and Asia without transiting via the US. So far, only AC fits the bill.

If AC cuts SE benefits, I would still be SE, until there is another airline that can do non-stop or direct flights to Europe and Asia without transiting via the US. This is even true even if there were no possibility of upgrade and everybody had to pay for J.
Ditto.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
But this SE also wants to fly non-stop or direct flights in J or F to Europe and Asia without transiting via the US. So far, only AC fits the bill.
And about a dozen other airlines.....

How are those AC non-stop F flights btw?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Dorian
Blah blah. Obviously it is for the summer.

Simply illustrating that it is particular to summer J fares....and in this case might be particular to DL fares for the Pacific Northwest. I don't follow DL close enough...but I recall they were putting on a heavy PNW push.
Yes, you don't follow DL close enough. Then you follow with your expert lecture on DL fares and fares everywhere, seasonal and otherwise. Gee, I didn't know AC has the same fare all year round. Those of us who write about sudden jumps in Flex fares and fare-increase induced realignment of fare classes are just uninformed.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:39 pm

And about a dozen other airlines.....

How are those AC non-stop F flights btw?
Which airlines? I'm talking airlines, not alliances.

AC doesn't have F. I hope you know. I was saying I want to fly J or F. And AC doesn't have F, I can only fly AC J.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which airlines? I'm talking airlines, not alliances.

AC doesn't have F. I hope you know. I was saying I want to fly J or F. And AC doesn't have F, I can only fly AC J.
Lets see, all nonstops to Europe from YYZ - I count at least 11 airlines, at least of which a dozen have superior service and even a superior seat to AC (will not count Transat or the other charters)
Aer Lingus,Aeroflot,Air France,Alitalia,BA,Finnair,KLM,LOT,Lufthansa,Jet,T urkish

Asian airlines in YYZ
China Eastern,Cathay,EVA,Korean,Hainan,PR

On top of that you got airlines that blow AC right out of the water like EK and EY.

We have plenty of choice for longhaul nonstops without having to go thru the USA, mediocrity of AC is not the only game in town. I am actually quite surprised that a self-proclaimed "I only fly J" person accepts mediocrity as standard.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by Lllahim
Yes, you don't follow DL close enough. Then you follow with your expert lecture on DL fares and fares everywhere, seasonal and otherwise. Gee, I didn't know AC has the same fare all year round. Those of us who write about sudden jumps in Flex fares and fare-increase induced realignment of fare classes are just uninformed.
Lol. "Expert lecture". Ya, I pointed out it was a temporary low fare for DL.

BTW, the AC Flex fares did stay the same, or go lower, for the dates I reviewed.

I'm well aware of fare jumps on AC, so much so that I was the one to get the big one rectified with AC execs.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:07 pm

Lets see, all nonstops to Europe from YYZ - I count at least 11 airlines, at least of which a dozen have superior service and even a superior seat to AC (will not count Transat or the other charters)
Aer Lingus,Aeroflot,Air France,Alitalia,BA,Finnair,KLM,LOT,Lufthansa,Jet,T urkish

Asian airlines in YYZ

On top of that you got airlines that blow AC right out of the water like EK and EY.

We have plenty of choice for longhaul nonstops without having to go thru the USA, mediocrity of AC is not the only game in town. I am actually quite surprised that a self-proclaimed "I only fly J" person accepts mediocrity as standard.
This is what Jarusoba wrote:

until there is another airline that can do non-stop or direct flights to Europe and Asia without transiting via the US
Now, tell me which of your airlines fits that profile?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
/snip/

Not to mention, the OP bought a ticket with the purpose of upgrading before AC changed it on him, and is now asking for $1000 more, which was not the case at the time of purchase.
Wrong. If the OP want to upgrade he/she could have bought J or even Y and upgraded at time of booking. You can't seriously be suggesting that all flex fares be eligable for a refund can you? They didn't change how flex fares operate. The OP purchased the ticket based on 2013 altitude program details for 2014 without knowing the program specifics.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by Dorian
This is what Jarusoba wrote:

Now, tell me which of your airlines fits that profile?
Probably one of those dozen out of the eleven that blows AC out of the water in every way possible.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired

Asian airlines in YYZ

Now I know your joking because there is nothing superior about aer lingus.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zorn
Probably one of those dozen out of the eleven that blows AC out of the water in every way possible.
lol, good catch! was supposed to be half a dozen. And no, Aer Lingus is not in the top half.

As for Asia AND Europe - jarusoba only buys J fares - so why should he care about flying one airline, he just doesnt want to connect via the USA, no?
EVA to Asia, LOT or OS to Europe, all 3 superior to AC, and he still gets his precious AE miles!

And, obviously, its the OP's fault for buying a ticket at flex (at a substantial premium to lowest-cost fare) and expecting to upgrade at the program conditions when he bought the ticket. Silly OP, he thought that AC would not change the rules on him.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:38 pm

lol, good catch! was supposed to be half a dozen. And no, Aer Lingus is not in the top half.

As for Asia AND Europe - jarusoba only buys J fares - so why should he care about flying one airline, he just doesnt want to connect via the USA, no?
EVA to Asia, LOT or OS to Europe, all 3 superior to AC, and he still gets his precious AE miles!

And, obviously, its the OP's fault for buying a ticket at flex (at a substantial premium to lowest-cost fare) and expecting to upgrade at the program conditions when he bought the ticket. Silly OP, he thought that AC would not change the rules on him.
No.

At this time when the upgrade game is still on, I would still stick to one airline. Until AC makes it impossible to upgrade buying Flex or Latitude fares, I would still continue to play this game and not buy J fares all the time.

Why pay full price in Z or J if I can only pay a B fare or a V fare and get the same seat? That's how AC gets my business.

If I had to buy J fare all the time due to too much cutting, I would still not be in any hardship, I just might have to take a couple less trips a year.

While OS is good, I'm not too sure about LOT. While BR is good, it's not daily ex-YYZ.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danapop
Wrong. If the OP want to upgrade he/she could have bought J or even Y and upgraded at time of booking. You can't seriously be suggesting that all flex fares be eligable for a refund can you? They didn't change how flex fares operate. The OP purchased the ticket based on 2013 altitude program details for 2014 without knowing the program specifics.
He bought a flex instead of Tango in order to upgrade based upon what the program was when he entered into a contract with AC. Then after they entered into a contract, AC unilaterally changed the terms.

Which is violation of contract law, hence should be found null and void in court.

The OP should be offered an upgrade with no co-pay. Of course if AC wanted to offer a full refund and he agreed, that would be OK too.

Ditto for all people who purchased a flex fare before the co-pay was announced. If I were one of them I would agitate for a class action suit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.