Wiki Posts
Search

TATL E U/G plus $500

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Yes, of course. The 2-3-2 config on the VA 77W to MEL is far superior compared with the AC pods.
Some of us like the people we travel with and wanna talk to them

Its everything else. The little things, from the PJs to the garment bags, the onboard bar, great food and wine selection, the amazing crews.

I'll let MG chime in when she lands.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Some of us like the people we travel with and wanna talk to them

Its everything else. The little things, from the PJs to the garment bags, the onboard bar, great food and wine selection, the amazing crews.

I'll let MG chime in when she lands.
Indeed, IF you´re among the few people in J travelling with friends/family and IF you prefer to stay up chatting with them vs. sleeping for 6-8h, I agree VA is a better option. Their soft product indeed has an excellent reputation. But if you´re travelling by yourself, the 2-3-2 config is a deal-breaker IMO.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if you´re travelling by yourself, the 2-3-2 config is a deal-breaker IMO.
Its not as bad as it sounds, they've done a great job making the window seat private. The partition goes up a long way, and the seat goes down deep. Still slept for about 9 hours straight

Of course I would never wanna be stuck in the middle 3, or worse in the middle of United's idiotic 2-4-2 config.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Its not as bad as it sounds, they've done a great job making the window seat private.
How easy is it to get out of the window seat if the aisle seat is full reclined?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antirealist
How easy is it to get out of the window seat if the aisle seat is full reclined?
Easy enough without disturbing the person sleeping, just step over them.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Indeed, IF you´re among the few people in J travelling with friends/family and IF you prefer to stay up chatting with them vs. sleeping for 6-8h, I agree VA is a better option. Their soft product indeed has an excellent reputation. But if you´re travelling by yourself, the 2-3-2 config is a deal-breaker IMO.
This is why I like the looks of the 787. You have the outer rows for individuals, and the middle section for couples.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is why I like the looks of the 787. You have the outer rows for individuals, and the middle section for couples.
I agree, the reverse herringbone seats look great for both single travellers and couples.
I'd love to try the new J seats on the 787 however I have no plans to fly to ZRH/TLV/HND anytime this year.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil
I agree, the reverse herringbone seats look great for both single travellers and couples.
I'd love to try the new J seats on the 787 however I have no plans to fly to ZRH/TLV/HND anytime this year.
Make plans

But I'd suggest waiting until they actually start flying
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Yes, of course. The 2-3-2 config on the VA 77W to MEL is far superior compared with the AC pods.
Of course it could be on UA with 2-4-2 in business on most of its 777s. True, VA is nice to fly, even with friends in the centre 3 section...and especially when it doesn't cost anything.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by antirealist
..can you say "Cirque du Soleil"!!!!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEMM
..can you say "Cirque du Soleil"!!!!
Ah such a informative comment based on zero personal experience.....
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: S100KMM,SPG Platinum,Fairmont Platinum
Ah such a informative comment based on zero personal experience.....
Considering I am on AC#007/008 twice a month I would say I have a lot of personal experience....what's yours? Oh that's right you prefer the rusty tin buckets B-744 of UA with their AWARD WINNING INTERNATIONAL NON-SERVICE!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Considering I am on AC#007/008 twice a month I would say I have a lot of personal experience....what's yours? Oh that's right you prefer the rusty tin buckets B-744 of UA with their AWARD WINNING INTERNATIONAL NON-SERVICE!
Actually having just come back a few weeks ago on one of the last 747 flights from SYD on a UA 744 in J, there is something special about the upper deck of the 747, when travelling with spouse, it was a great experience and while the FA's were older, service was great and the food was remarkably good.

Having flown J on BR, SQ,LH, AC both pod and HD J, LX in the last 6 months, I would take that UA environment again anytime. Service and most certainly food were both the worst on AC007.

Guess will see if it replicates in a few weeks.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Back to the main issue - $500 co-pay. I have been looking at R space for International flights from T-7 to T-2 days out. Space reduced by an average of a 2.3 @ T-7 but averaged 0.3 reduction thereafter. While this may not qualify as great sampling, the result could suggest that mid-tier flyers are not co-paying in good numbers. Should the trend continue, AC may have to rethink co-pay. They will lose money from FF who select Tango rather than the money spinning Flex now that entry to the traditional aerolotto comes with a hefty price. Earning points for status lower than SE may not be worthwhile even for domestic travel. Buy Tango, pay a small price for E+ and have legroom better than J in E90. Get Nexus for fast track through security. Get a CC that includes lounge privilege. That may be the way of the future.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Hahaha! ^

I believe I coined the term "Cirque de Soleil'ing" for the 777HD window experience. I had a very big guy blocking me from the aisle. FA's got a good laugh at me climbing over him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.