Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 5:08 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Large US airline stocks were up about 2% today. AC was down over 8%. Not a great day.
Old May 2, 2024, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
The current management of AC seems incompetent…in comparison with Calin Rovinescu.

I was out this morning, dumping all my shares at a huge loss, after the last 3-4 years of foolishly and desperately wishful thinking of AC returning to the glorious days.
Old May 2, 2024, 9:39 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by lespoir
The current management of AC seems incompetent…in comparison with Calin Rovinescu.

I was out this morning, dumping all my shares at a huge loss, after the last 3-4 years of foolishly and desperately wishful thinking of AC returning to the glorious days.
If you look at their fleet planning, it would almost seem they are looking at muted growth for 2025 as well (recession planning?)
Q2 might be worse given there is no fuel cost reprieve anymore..

The only upside might be massive influx of pop growth that may hold the yields.... maybe...
Old May 2, 2024, 11:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lespoir

Agreed. The present CEO seems much less capable that Rovinescu who did a very respectable job of bringing AC to a place of solid financial performance. Despite an increase in revenues, AC's cost increase is really outstripping their rise in revenues which does not bode well for when the new labour agreements get negotiated.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:15 am

Programs: air miles
Looking deeper at the numbers:
  • General revenues were UP 6.9% from Q1 23, supported by
    • Passenger revenues UP 8.7%
    • Cargo revenues DOWN 9.7%
  • Expenses UP 6.3%
    • Fuel costs DOWN 8.8%
    • Wages UP 21.2%
  • Operating income UP 164.7%

So what was the market expecting. Sure wages increase substantially outside the range of income growth (however I believe a new contract was signed recently which may explain that)

The other non tax large expense the company has incurred was a $46 million loss on "debt settlements" which appears to be costs related to retirement and reissuing on some revolving credit facilities. Regardless this would seem to be a one time (or rare) instance.

Remove that and the company's EBIT becomes a loss of $19 million compare to Q1 23's loss of $23 million an improvement of 17.4%

So I wonder what was the market expecting?
Old May 3, 2024, 8:46 am

Did wages go up 21% or employee costs go up 21%?
Not the same thing.

There are more employees doing less to help with the operational challenges of a couple years ago.
Old May 3, 2024, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978
Looking deeper at the numbers:
  • General revenues were UP 6.9% from Q1 23, supported by
    • Passenger revenues UP 8.7%
    • Cargo revenues DOWN 9.7%
  • Expenses UP 6.3%
    • Fuel costs DOWN 8.8%
    • Wages UP 21.2%
  • Operating income UP 164.7%

So what was the market expecting. Sure wages increase substantially outside the range of income growth (however I believe a new contract was signed recently which may explain that)

The other non tax large expense the company has incurred was a $46 million loss on "debt settlements" which appears to be costs related to retirement and reissuing on some revolving credit facilities. Regardless this would seem to be a one time (or rare) instance.

Remove that and the company's EBIT becomes a loss of $19 million compare to Q1 23's loss of $23 million an improvement of 17.4%

So I wonder what was the market expecting?
Which brings back some sense of reality to the discussion.

Rather than a blanket statement whereby current management is "incompetent." Uninspired, definitely, prone to put his foot in his mouth, yes. But I would argue that there is no case to be made either way on incompetence.
Old May 3, 2024, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ai...l?guccounter=1

Air Canada (AC.TO) reported a wider loss than analysts expected in the first quarter of the year, as costs climbed and pent-up demand slowed, sending the airline's shares down nine per cent on Thursday.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy1978

There was also $20 million associated with getting out of the delivery of two cargo 767's now that the cargo market has stalled.

Originally Posted by tracon
Not the same thing.
The latter. The MD&A also mentioned a significant part of this related to accruals for profit sharing with employees.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:31 am

As per the article in the Globe this morning 3 analysts have still raised their target price to the $30 range. This is due to the strong balance sheet (cash and low leverage) and a still positive outlook. The market is very fickle on a short term basis, reacting to any and every hiccup it hears.

Last edited by Wigg; May 3, 2024 at 10:47 am
Old May 3, 2024, 10:22 am

Programs: air miles
Originally Posted by tracon
Not the same thing.

There are more employees doing less to help with the operational challenges of a couple years ago.
"Wages, salaries, and benefits"
Old May 3, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Wigg
As per the article in the Globe this morning 3 analysts have still raised their target price to the $30 range.
I hope they're right! I took the opportunity to pick up some shares yesterday to get my DCA down. I suspect it will bounce back at least somewhat when summer flying season comes along and yields remain high.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Wigg
As per the article in the Globe this morning 3 analysts have still raised their target price to the $30 range. This is due to the strong balance sheet (cash and low leverage) and a still positive outlook. The market is very fickle on a short term basis, reacting to any and every hiccup it hears.
these are completely technical estimates by analysts, which are based on many assumptions in the analysis (my last ten years of career journey was all about this kind of technical analysis).

the point is that, yes, it is possible that AC may hit to $30, sometime. That my my expectations for the last two years, and it never got there. In many ways, stock market dynamics can be triggered by many things, and a major one is investor’s psychology, the confidence feeling about a company whose in may suggest the story this company is telling is convincing or not (convincing is not equal to true).

in AC’s situation, most investors seem to hold a deep doubt on AC’s performance, so it is very difficult to get over this psychological hurdle. Aviation/airlines has always been a rough sector to attract investors, so you have to be almost No. 1, in order to stand out.

AC has this major pilot contract negotiation on-going, and the pilots demand to match the similar agreement with huge pay raises, like Delta’s pilots.

Another major heavy weight that drags down Air Canada is its aircraft debt. So despite the last few quarters earnings reports, which is usually the crafted PowerPoint and nicely modeled Excel numbers, vs. consistent long term results of net earnings and debt payments. I am just afraid it would take much longer to overcome common street investors to jump in.
tomvancouver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.