Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What drives Air Canada's stock price?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2023, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Eagle2000
Anyone daring enough to buy the stock into the coming busy travel summer season? J class flights I have been booking have been pretty full, it's full serve airline's bread and butter.

Everywhere I have travelled to has been packed with tourists. What recession?
Imo. Airline stock price are priced in well-ahead of time. You need to almost project the airline economy 1-2 years in advanced.

I would personally not touch AC stock due to the looming recession concerns because it can be so volatile with any headline news.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:10 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Happy I went full bull with 1000 shares in April. 32% up over 3 months is outperforming most of my portfolio. Although I may take some of the win and sell 500.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
AC's second quarter is going to be really interesting. Delta had a 16% margin in the second quarter with billions in profit. Recognising the markets are very different, AC's share price is going to be interesting to watch depending on the quarterly result.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Cashed out my shares at 28 % gain in less 3 months. Thank you very much. Paid for my Five J Class flights this year !
Old Jul 25, 2023, 12:14 am

Looking at how AC is performing and the available seat on the last few flights (definitely with 100% full on RT from YYZ to YVR / RT YYZ to MUN / RT YYZ TO MCO). I dont know if I was just unlucky but AC seems to be doing well.. more planes than precovid and planes more full! I think it should hit 30 by next reporting
Old Aug 2, 2023, 5:37 am

Looks like the rise in oil prices is affecting the whole airline sector. "Experts" predicting oil back to triple digits per barrel by year end.

Fuel is the second highest expense to airlines.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:13 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Eagle2000
Cashed out my shares at 28 % gain in less 3 months. Thank you very much. Paid for my Five J Class flights this year !
That's how I do it. Hold AC stock and cash out when opportune, then use to buy flights. It's a natural cycle!
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:23 am

Programs: TK *G
I am not gonna invest in AC anytime soon. I prefer to invest in stocks that are likely to yield 7-10% a year for the next 10-20 years, which I have only found less than a handful so far.

Whenever I feel like I want to travel more on AC, I will consider investing in AC again, just like the early 2010s.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by songsc
I am not gonna invest in AC anytime soon. I prefer to invest in stocks that are likely to yield 7-10% a year for the next 10-20 years, which I have only found less than a handful so far.

Whenever I feel like I want to travel more on AC, I will consider investing in AC again, just like the early 2010s.
This was a trade that worked out for me not an investment....I listen to Warren Buffett that says not to go long on airlines...
Old Aug 3, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz PC, National EE
I just bought some shares and I’ll tell you why.
  • flights delayed
  • flights cancelled
  • baggage lost
  • catering not showing up
  • service sucks
  • long waits
  • Denying compensation

Yet you’re all still here.

A company doesn’t strive to provide terrible service but rather this becomes a by product of an overloaded system.

The fact there are so many complaints means there are high load factors and checking this over past few months I’ve seen most flights are practically full. Even with AC charging above market rates vs united/delta etc. they’re still getting decent loads.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by JETDRIVER
I just bought some shares and I’ll tell you why.
  • flights delayed
  • flights cancelled
  • baggage lost
  • catering not showing up
  • service sucks
  • long waits
  • Denying compensation

Yet you’re all still here.

A company doesn’t strive to provide terrible service but rather this becomes a by product of an overloaded system.

The fact there are so many complaints means there are high load factors and checking this over past few months I’ve seen most flights are practically full. Even with AC charging above market rates vs united/delta etc. they’re still getting decent loads.

I have been lucky, I have not encountered any of the above besides the flights being 100% full. However all of my flights thus far have been J class Transatlantic and Transpacific and I don't check in any luggage... I have one more TransPacific trip to go, I think I just jinxed it, hahaha!.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by JETDRIVER
Even with AC charging above market rates vs united/delta etc. they’re still getting decent loads.
High loads don't equate to profitability, and that also doesn't mean that the market hasn't already priced in the summer travel season loads.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Jagboi
High loads don't equate to profitability, and that also doesn't mean that the market hasn't already priced in the summer travel season loads.
If you want to know profitability, you read last quarters report. If you want to predict the future, load factors is one of the top KPIs to inform bets on future profitability.
billdokes and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: TK *G
No one can predict the future. For any easy to access and easy to process information, there is a good chance that the market has already known and reacted to that.
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
If you want to know profitability, you read last quarters report. If you want to predict the future, load factors is one of the top KPIs to inform bets on future profitability.
Agree, another Key metric to note in full service airlines is how full business class is. That is their bread and butter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.