Wiki Posts
Search

MLL Antics

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:49 am
Original Poster

MLL Antics

I encountered two incidents in MLLs on back to back days this week:

1. In a MLL, an older couple was complaining to the staffs for pausing to watch a little bit of the Canada Olympic hockey game and sharing a few comments with the patrons. The couple was upset because the staffs were slow cleaning up their dirty wine glasses and plates which they created themselves (side note - who drink wine at 10am?). They actually dragged the MLL door person over and complained for 10 minutes while door person left the door unattended. This happens to be one of the friendliest MLL I visit and the staffs are great there; and I told the staffs so after the couple complained.

2. In a different MLL, a gentleman took the seat directly in front of the TV broadcasting another Canada Olympic hockey game and proceed to YELL into his phone. I now know the industry he is in, his customer's name, the price he intends to bid on producing a product, the sku of the product, the exact margin he has on the bid, the turnaround time for his China plant to change over his molds etc. I fully intend on selling such information to his competitor... (just kidding). I could care less what he said on the phone but he is upsetting dozens of other patrons who were quietly enjoying the game before his arrival. I started to intentionally cheer loudly during (and only during) the gentleman's call, as well as a couple other patrons. He got the hint by his 3rd phone calls and moved to a different area of the MLL. PS: if your margin on your deal was $400,000 and you were recently at a MLL bragging about the deal - that was you on the phone; and me and the gentleman on the other side of you had a good laugh at your expense after you left.

And then there was the gentleman who tried to conclude a real estate deal when he was sitting on the throne within the men's room... but he really wasnt bothering anyone else.

But seriously, why do these individuals think their behavior is acceptable? Perhaps I crossed the line during the second incident but I felt good about it afterwards.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Qster
side note - who drink wine at 10am?
On a vacation? I do. On a trip where I won't be working that day? I do.

Don't judge other people's behaviour TOO much

2. In a different MLL, a gentleman took the seat directly in front of the TV broadcasting another Canada Olympic hockey game and proceed to YELL into his phone. I now know the industry he is in, his customer's name, the price he intends to bid on producing a product, the sku of the product, the exact margin he has on the bid, the turnaround time for his China plant to change over his molds etc. I fully intend on selling such information to his competitor... (just kidding). I could care less what he said on the phone but he is upsetting dozens of other patrons who were quietly enjoying the game before his arrival. I started to intentionally cheer loudly during (and only during) the gentleman's call, as well as a couple other patrons. He got the hint by his 3rd phone calls and moved to a different area of the MLL. PS: if your margin on your deal was $400,000 and you were recently at a MLL bragging about the deal - that was you on the phone; and me and the gentleman on the other side of you had a good laugh at your expense after you left.
Awesome!

Perhaps I crossed the line during the second incident
I think it was fine
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Which MLL serves wine before 11 a.m.???

I am currently sitting in the LGA lounge. I was impatiently waiting for the bar to open at 11 am, since my body clock was telling me it was 6 pm (I was in IST for the last 5 days), so you never know.

Also celebrating just crossing the Million Miler threshold.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I hate when people judge others regarding the time of day and booze. You never know what time it is for that person.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I am currently sitting in the LGA lounge. I was impatiently waiting for the bar to open at 11 am, since my body clock was telling me it was 6 pm (I was in IST for the last 5 days), so you never know.

MG, congrats on reaching 1MM. Total respect for you, cuz I know you travel on your own dime, rather than on company expenses. Quite an accomplishment! You deserve some 10am wine to celebrate!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AC*SE

Congrats MG! Now you get co-pays for life

Side note of MLLs... the other week, using an old card (because AE never bothered sending me a new one after I asked a 5 or 6 times), the MLL agent threatened to cut it up because it was expired. I mean all they need is to swipe the card and every AE card swipes the same - but really, cut it up in front of me? I wrestled it back and it survived until my new one showed up a little later, but still.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

So you downgrade to E35K on March 1st, and then back to E50K when your MM status kicks in?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:38 am

1. In a MLL, an older couple was complaining to the staffs for pausing to watch a little bit of the Canada Olympic hockey game and sharing a few comments with the patrons.
Back during the Vancouver 2010 Olympics my friend was in YVR transborder during the men's hockey gold medal game. When AC announced they were boarding the flight, it was going into overtime and many pax did not budge from their seats at the bar. They wound up delaying the flight by a few minutes instead of leaving with a half empty plane. Sometimes exceptions need to go both ways!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AC E50, National Exec
Originally Posted by CdnFlier

Side note of MLLs... the other week, using an old card (because AE never bothered sending me a new one after I asked a 5 or 6 times), the MLL agent threatened to cut it up because it was expired. I mean all they need is to swipe the card and every AE card swipes the same - but really, cut it up in front of me? I wrestled it back and it survived until my new one showed up a little later, but still.
Hey it can happen (w/ expired cards)!

Originally Posted by sudosandwich
AC service really sucks bigtime. I'd rather take WestJet as well. CX is just so much better.

A few years back when I was checking in I showed my elite card, and the employee just took out a pair of scissors and cut the card up and threw it in the trash just because I didn't satisfy the amount of flights to renew it. I told him I don't have my original card anymore since my account was opened in the early 2000's. He's like doesn't matter It's in the trash already.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21308778-post7.html
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorian
I hate when people judge others regarding the time of day and booze. You never know what time it is for that person.
My apologies, I also should not assume that they were consuming wine; they were wine glasses but they could have been used for orange juice.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
MG, congrats on reaching 1MM. Total respect for you, cuz I know you travel on your own dime, rather than on company expenses. Quite an accomplishment! You deserve some 10am wine to celebrate!
Originally Posted by CdnFlier

Thanks!

Originally Posted by yvr76
So you downgrade to E35K on March 1st, and then back to E50K when your MM status kicks in?
Yes, no idea when the next sweep will be. Will cross the MM threshold with 19 miles to spare. So glad I did 150K miles in 2012 before all the enhancements started happening.

I still have my UA 1K status for lounge access but it won't work on US domestic flights. Luckily I don't have any in the near future.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by Dorian
I agree ^
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
But seriously, why do these individuals think their behavior is acceptable?
DYKWIA
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:32 pm

I still have my UA 1K status for lounge access but it won't work on US domestic flights. Luckily I don't have any in the near future.
Can't you select the MLL Card for your select E35K privileges, until the E50K comes in?

If you're flying and accruing to UA, can you use your E50K status to get into the United clubs domestically?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not worth giving up another benefit to get a lounge card I probably won't need. (I do have 1K and most of my flights on UA are cross border or international.)

Correct. Once I have E50, I will have lounge access for life. I was also hoping to fly AC on the occasional TPAC or TATL flight, but they've made that financially unfeasible so that won't be happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.