Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Aeroplat still has a shorthual 2 for 1 benefit.. or do you mean another 2 for 1 voucher that is no longer offered on any Amex? There is still the full fare premium class option IIRC on Amex Plat.

I don't recall a 2 for 1 voucher for any CIBC AE Visa. Was it redeemable for any flight? How long ago was this offered?
No, once a year, CIBC Aerogold and Amex Aeroplat cardholders got a voucher to buy 2 J or C tickets any where AC flew for the price of 1. In other words, buy 1 get 1 free.

It was great when it lasted.

Really nice if TD/CIBC/Amex will bring it back with the "new" Aeroplan card!
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:22 am

Been reading the forum for a while but felt compelled to ask what you guys thought of the TD card design. I personally hate it and think its the worst premium design in the market. Definitely not what I was expecting.

<http://assets.distinction.aeroplan.com/assets/img/cards/td_visa.png>
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:06 am

This is shooting themselves in their own foot not offering bonus points past $80K of all spending. I spend more than this amount, but I would never plug it on a Visa nowadays, as I earn up to 50% more points running transactions through Amex. With the Aeroplat, its 1.25 points up to $25K of transactions within the year, and 1.50 points thereafter. With the regular Amex card, points can be converted on bonus promos to Avios, and the card regularly earns 1.25 MR points per dollar spent. No limit on Gold Card Amex bonuses neither.

This feature further limits attracting high cc spenders. I just don't get the logic at all.

Do you spend more than $80K just at "grocery stores, service stations/automated gas dispensers or drug stores"?

Maybe they realize they're not going to get the knowledgeable high spenders anyway. I'm sure they'll still get lots of business from unobservant cardholders who never realize when they've hit their maximum.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by leafsfan33
Been reading the forum for a while but felt compelled to ask what you guys thought of the TD card design. I personally hate it and think its the worst premium design in the market. Definitely not what I was expecting.

I totally agree with you. I have TD chequing account but never own a TD credit card.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:04 am

TD has consistently had the worst graphic design of any Canadian Bank. And if you want to see truly terrible design, just go have a look at their US cards.

But I find it amusing that the TD Aeroplan card's design is pretty much the same as their old AAdvantage card. One's looking forward from the back of the plane, and the other's looking back from the front of the plane. How imaginative and original!

On a more practical note: there's nothing I've seen of the "benefits" of the new TD card (or from CIBC) that is better than what Amex has now. I can't see why anyone would waste their time with this TD card when much more can be had with Amex.

Last edited by Vasco; Dec 6, 2013 at 10:17 am
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is shooting themselves in their own foot not offering bonus points past $80K of all spending. I spend more than this amount, but I would never plug it on a Visa nowadays, as I earn up to 50% more points running transactions through Amex. With the Aeroplat, its 1.25 points up to $25K of transactions within the year, and 1.50 points thereafter. With the regular Amex card, points can be converted on bonus promos to Avios, and the card regularly earns 1.25 MR points per dollar spent. No limit on Gold Card Amex bonuses neither.

This feature further limits attracting high cc spenders. I just don't get the logic at all.
As I understand it (and I could be way off), the TD, not Visa, offers these points. They make most of their money from interest. I'm going to guess that if you're spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, you're paying it off every month, and the bank is making very little off you, compared to someone who carriers a $1000-$2000 balance.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
As I understand it (and I could be way off), the TD, not Visa, offers these points. They make most of their money from interest. I'm going to guess that if you're spending hundreds of thousands of dollars, you're paying it off every month, and the bank is making very little off you, compared to someone who carriers a $1000-$2000 balance.
Yes, it is TD that offers all this stuff, "VISA" is just a brand and service provider that TD and its customers (indirectly) use. However, on premium cards, the banks primary profit component is not interest but the transaction fees, which are higher for such premium cards (and that merchants love to whine about).
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Aeroplan Distinction latest print ads promoting these new CCs talk about lounge access and priority boarding. I suspect we will see US style benefits soon.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Ughhhhh... yay for another boatload of people in the MLL. Mind you I suppose a lot of these people probably already have either AC Status, *G, or an AmEx Aeroplat since this is the Aeroplan specific card so maybe this benefit will actually add fewer people than expected since it will mostly be duplication...
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Priority check-in, MLL access and 7-day medical used to be an optional feature of the CIBC Aerogold for $189 per year. It was called CIBC Club Privileges Travel.
I had that card for 1 year when I was just Prestige. The Club Privileges Travel, or the Amex Aeroplat both have hefty fees and that alone serves as a deterrent.

It seems like this time around priority check-in, boarding and MLL access are going to be offered for all reward tickets, without additional fees.

Hopefully the T&C will reveal that these benefits are actually more restrictive.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: IHG Gold

To me it is just a flipping credit card. I am not making a fashion or design statement when I pull it out of my wallet.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
As per the first 80k limit, it hasn't changed. All we do is load up our2 cards with 1.5x point purchases only. My wife's biz burns that limit up quick. Managed to move some to an AeroPlat but only 2 suppliers take Amex. Hopefully the classification is the same via TD / CIBC .
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by methodman
Do you spend more than $80K just at "grocery stores, service stations/automated gas dispensers or drug stores"?
Yes, by buying a lot of drugs.^
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:18 am

I'm not sure I care what the card looks like. I'm probably only going to take it out of my wallet a few times early on at most.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by methodman View Post

"Earn 1.5 Aeroplan Miles on purchases (excluding returns) at merchants classified in the credit card network as grocery stores, service stations/automated gas dispensers or drug stores.

This bonus Aeroplan Miles offer is only available on the first $80,000 in net annual card purchases on your account (meaning all card purchases by all cardholders, at any type of merchant)."

I guess most mortals wouldn't spend $80,000 per year in these retailers, but there would probably be a lot of A-List cardholders, like a fleet manager, who actually might.
Originally Posted by methodman

Maybe they realize they're not going to get the knowledgeable high spenders anyway. I'm sure they'll still get lots of business from unobservant cardholders who never realize when they've hit their maximum.
I don't make $80K in purchases at gas, grocery and drug stores. Per the first quote, I read the comment as the first $80K in purchases would be eligible for the bonus.. mixed in with the regular purchases. If its $80K at just gas, grocery, and drug stores.. then it is a reasonable limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.