Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
$10 USD per month for unlimited wifi on AC and many other airlines:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....-10-per-month/
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Ok but "Full Domestic Fleet", whatever that means. Only certain FINs fly in Canada exclusively?

So is this a way to circumvent the existing overprice/exorbitant GoGo pricing?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AC SE 100k MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt Gold, Airmiles, AMEX
I just wrote an email to the AC CS today about the last 2 months of their crap GOGO inflight service. I spend money to buy it every flight and it is hopeless internet. The last flight it didn't work until about 90 mins into the 2.5 hr trip. Everyone in front cabin was irate about this not being able to work during trip in work hours. I've spent $100+ in last 6 weeks on wifi and it is just not functional. It would be nice if they upgraded their systems or sent over a gift card or something, I'm sick of paying for this.

Was gogo the provider that got sued in the USA for their garbage service? I recall hearing this a while back.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
GoGo is a piece of crap.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:47 pm

I inquired about this pass on their site through collection form, no direct link to sign up for the account. I will report back what I find out here. https://www.ipass.com/buy-ipass/
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by coleo
I just wrote an email to the AC CS today about the last 2 months of their crap GOGO inflight service. I spend money to buy it every flight and it is hopeless internet. The last flight it didn't work until about 90 mins into the 2.5 hr trip. Everyone in front cabin was irate about this not being able to work during trip in work hours. I've spent $100+ in last 6 weeks on wifi and it is just not functional. It would be nice if they upgraded their systems or sent over a gift card or something, I'm sick of paying for this.

Was gogo the provider that got sued in the USA for their garbage service? I recall hearing this a while back.
Have you tried writing to Gogo? The issue is really more theirs than AC's.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I inquired about this pass on their site through collection form, no direct link to sign up for the account. I will report back what I find out here. https://www.ipass.com/buy-ipass/
You don't buy it from iPass. You buy it from US Mobile.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
You don't buy it from iPass. You buy it from US Mobile.
Are you going to give it a try?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Have you tried writing to Gogo? The issue is really more theirs than AC's.
You are right, but figured AC may be more apt to do something or log this than gogo. Their response would just be reset your computer and reinstall windows, it must be your issue not ours. Their customer service is awful. They are second on the list if I find the time.

@ Canadiancow: Yes I see now, thanks, the article had the link to iPlan.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
You are right, but figured AC may be more apt to do something or log this than gogo. Their response would just be reset your computer and reinstall windows, it must be your issue not ours. Their customer service is awful. They are second on the list if I find the time.

There have been posts from folks who were very happy with the response ftom Gogo.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

I've found Gogo customer service to be quite good on the couple of occasions I've needed it.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

Do you have to continuously subscribe or can you go month to month and only subscribe those months during which you fly?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I've found Gogo customer service to be quite good on the couple of occasions I've needed it.
Same. Top notch, actually. Have never had a poor encounter with Gogo customer service, unlike T Mobile or other Wifi providers on other airlines.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:32 pm

OK I've signed up for this plan. It was relatively painless and apparently I link my computer when I start the plan. I fly out Monday night so will see if it works as described on the go all next week.

https://www.usmobile.com/wifi-checkout
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Do you have to continuously subscribe or can you go month to month and only subscribe those months during which you fly?
What's the difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.