Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I did read your post. My post was tongue in cheek.
My point in general was, the 777HD sucks for anyone and we should be all Good Samaritans and dissuade anyone from flying it!
As was mine
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by exbayern
As was mine
wahwah... ok i lied.. i skimmed.. now i read it... touche
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
What's even more depressing is that AC will also use 17" painfully narrow seats on the 787s.
Do we have any confirmation about this yet, or is your statement just based on a pessimistic sense of gloom based on recent AC behavior?

(Don't get me wrong, I have the same pessimistic prediction about it ... just wondering if there's any chance at all that I'm wrong, or if the bad news has now been confirmed).
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
And LHR-YVR coming soon as well.... And YYZ-YVR I believe?
Yes, YVR-YYZ will continue to operate as the eastbound continuation of the HKG-YVR flight ... and vice-versa on the westbound trip.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by canopus27
Do we have any confirmation about this yet, or is your statement just based on a pessimistic sense of gloom based on recent AC behavior?

(Don't get me wrong, I have the same pessimistic prediction about it ... just wondering if there's any chance at all that I'm wrong, or if the bad news has now been confirmed).
According to a post (earlier in this thread I think) Ben Smith has confirmed that AC will utilise 9-across seating on the 787s - necessitating the same extremely narrow 17" seat as on the 777HDs. Depressing to say the least.

While it is reasonably feasible to avoid the 777HDs, avoiding 787s will be near impossible for those flying AC internationally.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
avoiding 787s will be near impossible for those flying AC internationally.
Just fly another airline. If you're a mid-tier bottom feeder AC wants you to do this anyway.

Biggest concern is the whole industry seems to be going to sardine class, so in a decade or so this response won't wont - But for now it does.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I have just completed a CDG-YUL round trip in the worst seat ever: AC 777-300ER eco.
Never again, so no chance I will fly AC again!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by grenouille
I have just completed a CDG-YUL round trip in the worst seat ever: AC 777-300ER eco.
There's lots of discussion about how bad the Y seat is on the 77P, but you're going to write off a whole airline because of one aircraft type? And there will only be 5 in the whole fleet, too...
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ffsim
There's lots of discussion about how bad the Y seat is on the 77P, but you're going to write off a whole airline because of one aircraft type? And there will only be 5 in the whole fleet, too...
s/he lives in France... Not like they're going to be flying an AC 319 any time soon.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gglave
s/he lives in France... Not like they're going to be flying an AC 319 any time soon.
I understand that. But s/he said "no chance I will fly AC again" not "no chance I will fly AC between YUL/CDG again." There's a difference. Writing off a whole airline because of one particular aircraft type is silly.

I'm sure none of us would be flying anywhere if we boycotted every airline on which we had a lousy flight or didn't like the aircraft.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by grenouille
And the ground experience at CDG has become just awful. I posted quite a bit about it upthread because I was concerned that AC already had limited space there. Just imagine what it will be like in peak season

(And I too am not going to be flying AC from CDG to YUL anymore if I can help it; like grenouille there are better options for us now to consider, especially when connecting onwards to North/Central America) There are only two choices from CDG on AC, not the dozens many of you have when your location lists YYZ or YUL, for instance. We could of course fly LH to MUC and then connect to AC to YYZ, but oh wait, that too is a 777HD. If we are going to fly AC, and avoid the 777HD, we have fewer options and possibly more competition on the non-777HD routes.

It's interesting now to have 3 French based flyers make similar comments re the CDG flights about the 777HD experience (air and ground)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ffsim
The reality is that it's exactly how a lot of infrequent travelers (or people who don't travel on AC frequently) make their decisions. They may have one flight on a cramped aircraft and feel this is representative of the airline, and try to avoid that airline in the future.

I've heard similiar things before from friends who are infrequent travellers:
" I flew Transat (or another similiar airline) to Europe and found their seats really cramped; I'm never flying with them again"
"I got stuck on a middle seat on WS and found their seats really narrow; I'm going to avoid travelling with them again"

The vast majority of travellers don't know that the 77P is so cramped and believe it's representative of the Air Canada fleet. Unfortunately I think there are going to be a lot of people who book Y on a 77P without knowing how cramped it is, and make a decision to avoid AC based on the experience. It's one of the reasons service consistency is so important in service industries, and I think having wildly inconsistent products is going to hurt AC.

I think OP's viewpoint on the 77P is more representative of the typical traveller on one of those planes than the average AC FT member.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(And I too am not going to be flying AC from CDG to YUL anymore if I can help it; like grenouille there are better options for us now to consider, especially when connecting onwards to North/Central America) There are only two choices from CDG on AC, not the dozens many of you have when your location lists YYZ or YUL, for instance. We could of course fly LH to MUC and then connect to AC to YYZ, but oh wait, that too is a 777HD. If we are going to fly AC, and avoid the 777HD, we have fewer options and possibly more competition on the non-777HD routes.
For my upcoming trip to Paris, I am looking at YYC-YYZ-CDG. Or if I am able to go a couple of days earlier I'll fly YYC-YUL-BRU and spend the weekend with relatives before going to Paris.

Advantage of Latitude pass is that you can hold confirmed upgrades for alternate plans.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
For my upcoming trip to Paris, I am looking at YYC-YYZ-CDG. Or if I am able to go a couple of days earlier I'll fly YYC-YUL-BRU and spend the weekend with relatives before going to Paris.
When I have time to do odd routings, I am doing that. For instance, I try and book long layovers in MUC, and then use other *A options to avoid the MUC-YYZ HD (both of which are evil - transferring at YYZ, AND flying the HD) That gives me more options.

I have some upcoming longhaul on LH - yes, it may still be a gamble with old/new C, but I like T1 at CDG, and I still rate LH old C above AC new 777HD J.

I may also have to end up in YYC more frequently (not a hardship as I have some of my personal life there) in order to avoid LHR-YVR on 777HD ie route via YYC sometimes.

We still have options, just not as many anymore. And I'll miss YUL as a transfer point.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I have time to do odd routings, I am doing that. For instance, I try and book long layovers in MUC, and then use other *A options to avoid the MUC-YYZ HD (both of which are evil - transferring at YYZ, AND flying the HD) That gives me more options.

I have some upcoming longhaul on LH - yes, it may still be a gamble with old/new C, but I like T1 at CDG, and I still rate LH old C above AC new 777HD J.

I may also have to end up in YYC more frequently (not a hardship as I have some of my personal life there) in order to avoid LHR-YVR on 777HD ie route via YYC sometimes.

We still have options, just not as many anymore. And I'll miss YUL as a transfer point.
I don't think the MUC thing is there to stay, just seasonal? Does not work well for us anyway.

Between YYC and Europe, best is avoiding a connection in North American. So FRA would be best, avoiding the LHR circus. Also, renting a car in Germany, one usually ends up with a better car for less money. However FRA is quite difficult to upgrade. This might change for the better now that they are going to a 773 though.

My last trip to BRU, we ended up going through LHR, spending the night there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.