Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Tractor Boy
Agreed. Seems like a short sighted decision by AC management based on cost (surprised?).

They are going to have problems filling these aircraft in low season at any sort of reasonable RASM. Combine that with the negative word of mouth these aircraft will create, and the operational problems when IRROPs occur and it doesn't look like a good decision.
If the peak time profits cover the slow time losses, it's a good decision. I think we can say the "peak time" thus far has exceeded expectations. Filling MTL-Paris all summer was never in doubt . . . What's to come though
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Filling MTL-Paris all summer was never in doubt . . . What's to come though
I felt like my flight was more heavily skewed with Francophone Canadians (vs French) and leisure (vs business) in J than in past. That doesn't mean that it's a trend though, just an observation.

I still think that AC will have to try and get some of the market from Air Transat from the French customer if they want to fill those planes. But still there is no sign of any AC marketing in France that I have seen.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Looks like I was right. YVR-HKG on Dec. 11 is no longer the new HD 777. ExpertFlyer shows O class is gone, and I've received notification from AC that my itinerary has changed to YVR-HKG on Dec. 13 instead.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clipper801
SE on Flex will get the upgrade before the A75K in PE and Flex who in turn will get the upgrade before the A50K.

If PE is indeed a "premium" cabin as the name implied, those in PE should get the upgrade before those in the regular economy cabin. If those in the regular economy cabin actually have priority over those in PE, they should pay more eUpgrade credits for that benefit.

In case of an equipment change where the new equipment has no PE cabin, those A50K and A75K in PE will most likely be down-graded to economy while the SE on Flex will have the upgrade cleared to J.

Why should I risk flying AC's PE? It's the same with avoiding the A345 or A333 in the old days when the J cabins on those 2 aeroplanes have more seats than the A343 and 767.

Burnt on the A345 and A333 before, not to be burnt on the 77P!
But if O is cheaper than Y,B,M,etc., why should they get priority? I'd be pretty annoyed paying $2000 for economy and losing my upgrade to someone paying $1200 for PE.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But if O is cheaper than Y,B,M,etc., why should they get priority? I'd be pretty annoyed paying $2000 for economy and losing my upgrade to someone paying $1200 for PE.
To be totally fair what are you doing paying $2000 for a Y fare when an O fare is $1200, knowing you'd be given higher upgrade priority and failing that, a much more comfortable seat and better food?

That's exactly how it works on BA. They have 3 PE fare classes: W, E and T. T is routinely the same price as the lowest Economy fares on sale (sometimes cheaper), often as low as $1700 round trip out of SFO. These have a much lower upgrade cost (0.5X coach redemption instead of 1.0X coach redemption) and guarantee at minimum a better seat and a better meal. It only makes sense to buy them if they are on offer. Especially if they're cheaper than the lowest available economy fares!

Last edited by arcticbull; Oct 10, 2013 at 11:03 am
Old Oct 10, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
A fair way to do it would be - Y, B, O, M since upgrading from PE to J requires the same credits as M, and that aligns better with the fare prices. Note that when you book Y segments on a PE ticket, it books in the B fare class.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:00 am

Latitude is frequently more expensive than Z and D.

So Latitude should get an "automatic" upgrade to Executive/Executive First because someone had paid more for less?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:20 am

Latitude is frequently more expensive than Z and D.

So Latitude should get an "automatic" upgrade to Executive/Executive First because someone had paid more for less?
I didn't say that, I just don't see any reason why PE should have priority over Y "just because".

If they want to go to a revenue-based priority system, I'm fine with that, but arbitrarily moving PE to the front is just going to annoy all their customers who purchase Y fares.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:40 am

I didn't say that, I just don't see any reason why PE should have priority over Y "just because".

If they want to go to a revenue-based priority system, I'm fine with that, but arbitrarily moving PE to the front is just going to annoy all their customers who purchase Y fares.
I know if I am flying CX, I shall only be competing amongst those in PE for the upgrade waitlist to J, a much smaller pool, not someone from the cheaper cabin, assuming "premium" in "premium economy" is to have the dictionary meaning of the word! This is not the case for AC.

If PE is consistently cheaper than Flex, something is very wrong.

Last edited by Clipper801; Oct 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:37 pm

- delete -
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:30 pm

If PE is consistently cheaper than Flex, something is very wrong.
I don't disagree, but I'm sure we could point out many things very wrong with the operations of any airline
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
I don't disagree, but I'm sure we could point out many things very wrong with the operations of any airline
Or most things The more people ask me to explain how/why something works the way it does at an airline, the more I realize none of it makes a lot of sense yet it somehow happens to work.

It's like a beach ball made out of a burlap sack full of angry cats. Both are essentially ball-like; one is far less pleasant to play with.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Looks like I was right. YVR-HKG on Dec. 11 is no longer the new HD 777. ExpertFlyer shows O class is gone, and I've received notification from AC that my itinerary has changed to YVR-HKG on Dec. 13 instead.
Not a bad thing.
(77L >>> 77H in every COS.)
Old Oct 11, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Not a bad thing.
(77L >>> 77H in every COS.)
Not if you want to fly Premium Economy on a specific date.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Same thing happened to a friend, but nothing from AC. What if this person needs to fly on the date booked? Would AC refund the fare from PE to Flex, or expect person to pay for J?

Let me relate a similar story but with a totally different outcome. Met a guy from YYZ in WAW this summer who booked PE on Lot. When the 787 was taken out of service, LO gave him a J seat on the replacement aircraft. Then the 787 came back in service, and they let him keep his J seat. What a classy airline. ^^ Can we expect same from AC? LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.