Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
9-wide 32" pitch on 787 is going to be a (2013 relative) nice ride in Y. Big windows, o/h bins, lighting, better atmosphere. I think AC's 787s will be a hit w/ PAX...
Except that the seats would appear to be smaller and tighter than on the 763's they'll be replacing - meanwhile North americans are getting bigger and bigger.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I've only flown that route once, but the Priority line for the YUL flight (the second to depart) was insane and I can't imagine what the general boarding mess would have been like, or indeed the mess of boarding the YYZ flight while the early YUL passengers arrived, as I just passed through fairly early on the way to the lounge.
I was pretty surprised that the MLL was so far from the AC gates, but even more surprised that by the time I left the lounge for boarding for the YUL flight, all the flights that had been using the gate area in the satellite were boarded and the satellite was vacant! All of the gates were idle and the shops were closed. It seemed that the AC crowd would have been much better balanced if the YYZ and YUL flights boarded from there.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by The Lev
Except that the seats would appear to be smaller and tighter than on the 763's they'll be replacing - meanwhile North americans are getting bigger and bigger.
How much narrower are the aisles on the 77HD? Maybe they could use those super narrow aisles on the 787, and not sacrifice too much seat room? Would be a pain for FA's with their carts though, and/or for passengers sitting in the aisle who get bushwhacked in the head everytime someone walks by.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
How much narrower are the aisles on the 77HD? Maybe they could use those super narrow aisles on the 787, and not sacrifice too much seat room? Would be a pain for FA's with their carts though, and/or for passengers sitting in the aisle who get bushwhacked in the head everytime someone walks by.
Prior to working the aircraft, the aisle width and trolley movements were a concern. The aisles are marginally narrower, and as such, a bit more attention and precision needs to be paid to cart movement throughout the cabin. Most customers are able to pass through the aisles "side by side" without having to back up.

My only personal experience on a 10 abreast Y 773 was on Air NZ between LAX & AKL. NZ's seats are a fraction wider, and seated on the aisle, trolleys were constantly clipping the seat banks. In finalizing seat width/dimensions, it would appear that this consideration would be factored in by the Marketing/Commercial department.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:55 am

Narrower, sure.
But why do you assume seat pitch is less on 787 than 767? That's my point.
Add the other improvements and I think, on the whole, it will be a better ride.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Narrower, sure.
I´m not convinced of that. While AC hasn´t announced the exact measurements yet, I´d be very surprised if a 3-3-3 config were more comfortable than a 2-3-2 config. A pair of two seats is as comfortable as it gets in Y IMO while having someone stuck in a middle seat pretty much always makes the experience more uncomfortable for everyone.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:25 am

I think I've read this entire thread over time and I don't recall any posts where anybody (including YYZ/SD) has suggested your points are are not as valid as those made by others.

You and many others have shared your perspective as a passenger for the entire travel experience. Others have shared their experience from their different perspective. All are valid and make for interesting reading.
Perhaps you missed the post below? And what about the replies to grenouille a few pages back when he said that as a France based flyer he wouldn't choose to fly AC again?
Originally Posted by sp4294
May I ask why you say this? PE is not available on other aircraft yet so what can you compare this to? And what are the problems in J (unless you hate the new seat - is that it?)? How is it a far from a seamless experience? From reading ACYYZ/SD's posts about his actual experience with the new product, one seems to get a different impression, no?
The experiences of flying as a passenger and flying as crew are very different. Rarely does a working crew member use the check in area, the lounge, or the boarding area. Several of us have tried to explain why CDG has unique challenges, just as I suspected would be the case back near the start of the thread.

I also find it interesting to see the viewpoint of crew, but certainly what is being posted here is much more rosy than what I have seen and heard from others.

The aisles are marginally narrower, and as such, a bit more attention and precision needs to be paid to cart movement throughout the cabin. Most customers are able to pass through the aisles "side by side" without having to back up.
My experience was that due to a lack of a footwell, any time a passenger tried to pass the crew backed up the cart right to the galley to permit them to pass. Again, perhaps different crews are handling things differently, but it was one of the areas of concern discussed on my flight.

There was also a post a few pages back about the armrest in J on the aisle, and how that doesn't afford any protection from activity in the aisle, so one does need to be careful. The other issue is that the single seats don't have a lot of space to step into; I took a photo of the wasted space and narrow area but haven't had a chance to post it yet, due in part to the fact that I dropped my iPod in the gap between the seat and the side of the seat and in an effort to extract it, it broke (Nothing like the UA new seats which eat glasses, iPods, etc but where the pilot has a few times now salvaged my glasses for me quite cheerfully in flight, undamaged)
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
Narrower, sure.
Narrower is the biggest deal IMO. Sure, I am tall but I can be comfortable in a 31" pitch seat. 17" wide? No way in hell.

Width >>>>>> pitch for customer comfort.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:25 pm

While not nearly as bad as the CDG situation, I'm curious to see what happens at LHR on the LHR-YVR flights, which often use those older T3 holding pens for boarding.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Mauricio23
There is a lot of merit to ditching an airline because of an unacceptable aircraft type. I have been studiously trying to avoid the 77P. I have a YVR-YYZ-EZE return booking that I thought was safe from it. Not any more - equipment change and the return YYZ-YVR leg is on the beast. That should be fun with a lap infant and a 4 year old.
Actually the four-year-old should be reasonably entertained because of the AVOD.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by exbayern
While not nearly as bad as the CDG situation, I'm curious to see what happens at LHR on the LHR-YVR flights, which often use those older T3 holding pens for boarding.
Maybe it will turn into something like MNL boarding...
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
It looks like it's time to modify the old cliche:

If it's Boeing, I ain't going.
388 is also 3-4-3.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gglave
But you live in Montreal!

If you lived in France, then your only option would be one aircraft serving one station (CDG). In that context it does make sense to write off an entire airline, because every single time you fly them, you'll be squished into a sardine can.
Connect via FRA/MUC/LHR and you can be fine.
(though this means that I can and will honestly tell CX that I would rather go through the US than be rebooked on AC if any of my HKGYVR/YVRHKG flights run into IRROPS, so long as I have my Canadian passport with me (which is most of the time.). Not that this is likely, since an opup is more probable.)
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim
+1 ^ That's exactly what I said.

People can be unhappy for any number of reasons, I get it. But writing off an airline (or any other business, really) for a single or isolated "unacceptable" event only hurts the consumer himself/herself in the end. "Well I haven't flown AC ever since I spent 2 segments in a sardine." Yeah, great, meanwhile AC filled their seat with another butt and you've eliminated AC as an option when they might actually be more competitive than the alternative.
*A has many options.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
OK, also measured my shoulder width. (I wedged myself between the wall and a door to measure.) I am 16.5" wide. I am 5'4" and fairly athletic but I could probably stand to lose 5 lbs. So it looks like I can barely fit into my own 17" seat! (My butt is also about 16.5" wide in a seated position.)
Mine is 17" (5'6", 144 lb, BMI 20)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.