FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Announcing Premium Economy & new 777-300ERs
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:42 am
gcashin

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by ffsim
There's lots of discussion about how bad the Y seat is on the 77P, but you're going to write off a whole airline because of one aircraft type? And there will only be 5 in the whole fleet, too...
The reality is that it's exactly how a lot of infrequent travelers (or people who don't travel on AC frequently) make their decisions. They may have one flight on a cramped aircraft and feel this is representative of the airline, and try to avoid that airline in the future.

I've heard similiar things before from friends who are infrequent travellers:
" I flew Transat (or another similiar airline) to Europe and found their seats really cramped; I'm never flying with them again"
"I got stuck on a middle seat on WS and found their seats really narrow; I'm going to avoid travelling with them again"

The vast majority of travellers don't know that the 77P is so cramped and believe it's representative of the Air Canada fleet. Unfortunately I think there are going to be a lot of people who book Y on a 77P without knowing how cramped it is, and make a decision to avoid AC based on the experience. It's one of the reasons service consistency is so important in service industries, and I think having wildly inconsistent products is going to hurt AC.

I think OP's viewpoint on the 77P is more representative of the typical traveller on one of those planes than the average AC FT member.