Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:35 am
eg

YYZ-MCO/RSW -- Rouge Business vs WeatJet Plus

Looking to visit Naples and Orlando, trying to figure out which flights are more comfortable. Rouge and WJ fly direct to both RSW and MCO from YYZ. WJ Plus is cheaper but are those the middle seat omitted or actual 2x2 seating? Rouge is 2x2 in business, right?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by eg
Looking to visit Naples and Orlando, trying to figure out which flights are more comfortable. Rouge and WJ fly direct to both RSW and MCO from YYZ. WJ Plus is cheaper but are those the middle seat omitted or actual 2x2 seating? Rouge is 2x2 in business, right?
Rouge is 2+2 up front. It is a nice plane for a daytime trip.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by eg
WS is just a blocked middle seat. AC Rouge wins here, up front. I believe you even get lounge access for what little that’s worth at YYZ TB.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:19 am

Doing YVR-TYO / CTS-YVR open-jaw next summer. Just booked Rouge on UA award, NGO-YVR. I've never flown AC Rouge before. I'm only 5'10" and I manage to survive with 32" pitch on long-haul (eg, BR's 77W, NH's 787). But Rouge's 30" pitch on 767 is very disconcerting for such a long flight. In fact, I may never have experienced 30" pitch asides from some regional jets.

I can cancel within 24hrs. My options were award travel on JAL outbound & Rouge return (YVR-NRT / CTS-NGO-YVR), vs paid seat on EVA (YVR-TPE-NRT / CTS-TPE-YVR). Base on my miles valuation (1.8cents/mile), it's a wash. But obviously I'd be paying real money for EVA. EVA is more roundabout routing, but I do enjoy TPE transits and again I'm really worried about spending 9-10hrs on Rouge economy. They're saying I'm not eligible to bid for upgrade.

I've never flown Rouge before and would like some opinions. How uncomfortable would it be for a 5'10" guy in coach on their TPAC flight? Would you go with the JAL/Rouge award option or paid flight on EVA? Also do you think there's a fair chance that NGO flight could be converted to mainline by next summer?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:01 am

Rouge Y is close to bottom of my list for a TATL let alone a TPAC. I would explore alternatives if the price for others options is acceptable.

If for whatever reasons (cost, route, time, other) Rouge Y remains the best, I would at least explore the preferred seat cost (likely to be $130 on a route like that but I can’t check right now).

And, even on a ticket like you mention you may be LMU eligible as AC will take control at OLCI. Of course that’s late and it may not be available or $5k. Worth considering, so would also get a preferred seat as a backup which would be refundable if upgraded.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Rouge Y is close to bottom of my list for a TATL let alone a TPAC. I would explore alternatives if the price for others options is acceptable.

If for whatever reasons (cost, route, time, other) Rouge Y remains the best, I would at least explore the preferred seat cost (likely to be $130 on a route like that but I can’t check right now).

And, even on a ticket like you mention you may be LMU eligible as AC will take control at OLCI. Of course that’s late and it may not be available or $5k. Worth considering, so would also get a preferred seat as a backup which would be refundable if upgraded.
Thanks. I think the chances of last-minute upgrade would be slim to none, as we're a party of 4.
If you were me, knowing an upgrade is unlikely, would you go instead for the paid roundabout EVA itinerary option rather than any saver award trip option that includes a TPAC Rouge leg?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks. I think the chances of last-minute upgrade would be slim to none, as we're a party of 4.
If you were me, knowing an upgrade is unlikely, would you go instead for the paid roundabout EVA itinerary option rather than any saver award trip option that includes a TPAC Rouge leg?
Right, chance of 4 LMUs is going to be low especially for a reasonable price. Honestly I can’t answer as I don’t know how much $ we’re talking about and even if I did people value $ and the like differently ... What else are points / $ useful for?

Some people refuse to pay $15 to book a seat for an 8h flight, others think nothing of dropping $5k on it and won’t fly Y.

But personally, I avoid AC Y (and especially Rouge Y) where possible, but when I have to, I pay (thru the nose) for a preferred seat. This is however in stark constrast to my approach 15 years ago.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Right, chance of 4 LMUs is going to be low especially for a reasonable price. Honestly I can’t answer as I don’t know how much $ we’re talking about and even if I did people value $ and the like differently ... What else are points / $ useful for?

Some people refuse to pay $15 to book a seat for an 8h flight, others think nothing of dropping $5k on it and won’t fly Y.

But personally, I avoid AC Y (and especially Rouge Y) where possible, but when I have to, I pay (thru the nose) for a preferred seat. This is however in stark constrast to my approach 15 years ago.
We're talking 35,000 AS miles + 35,000 UA miles for YVR>NRT(JAL) and CTS>NGO>YVR(Rouge) -vs- $1200USD for YVR>TPE>NRT / CTS>TPE>YVR on EVA all the way.
I value both miles at 1.8c/mile, so it really is a wash value-wise. But as you know, miles are only worth something if you use them and saver award seat inventories are getting less and less. And as family of 4, it's becoming more and more difficult to redeem miles for TPAC flights.

But of course you are you and I am me. So I know it's hard for you to advise. I like TPE and all the lounges I can use there, so I don't mind the TPE routing on the outbound. But I'm neither rich nor have a ton of miles to burn (I fly >90% economy) and I do mind having to pay $1200x4. I'd rather have less of a detour on the return also. But I wonder how brutal those 9-10 hours on Rouge can be. I need to be able to sleep >3hr on the plane because I have to drive YVR>SEA upon arrival and work the next day. I wonder if it's even possible to fall asleep on thinly-padded seat with 30" pitch.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:40 pm

So here’s my thoughts, $4800 is a big chunk of change, to me and it sounds like to you. Especially given I’m in Canada and that’s > C$6k. And while bad, you will physically survive the flight, there are going to be at least 20 others in that flight of a same or greater height for the same length of time (probably). A flight which I assume operates 3-7 times a week.

However, it likely won’t be comfortable especially if person in front reclines. Of which there is a high chance on a LH route. Hence, try and get a better seat.

I haven’t taken a Rouge Y over 4h, I’ve flown similar (TS) TATL ones though and didn’t sleep. I do know someone who has managed it but the same guy has been known to fall asleep while talking.

Unless you plan to drink/use washroom a lot your best bet is a window seat for sleeping. I don’t know what time the flight is but if it’s late in the day maybe get up late, or maybe you will be so tired it works, people vary. I don’t even get that much sleep on lie flats.

Get a good face mask and ear plugs or NC ear/headphones if possible. Consider getting a coffee/espresso (on the ground) before grabbing your car. Drive safe, enjoy the trip, and please
report back if you do go ahead.

Perhaps dream of what else you can do with $4800
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:35 pm

@ jc94

Thanks for talking through this decision with me. The 24hr cancel deadline was coming up and I had to make a decision and so I ultimately decided to cancel based on what you'd previously written and many of the comments I saw on seatguru. I didn't see your latest reply until after I'd cancelled. Had I seen it before, maybe I would not have cancelled. Everything you say makes sense and, in hindsight, you're right. I would've survived. Everyone else does. It would've been a long 9 hours, but it's still only 9 hours. Oh well, I've already canceled (and it'll take a week or more for the miles to redeposit, so I can't rebook for a while). Ultimately what made me decide to pass was the prospect of this awful return flight on Rouge hanging over my head and potentially compromising my ability to enjoy the entire trip.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm a bit confused with the seat maps on some rouge flights.

Specifically, AC 1795 YQB-YYZ on September 23 is showing as being operated by a 321.

However, the J cabin map shows 1AC 2ACDF 3ACDF, for a total of 10 seats. However, the ACr 319 has 12 seats, and the 321 has 16.

Any idea what's going on?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Specifically, AC 1795 YQB-YYZ on September 23 is showing as being operated by a 321.

However, the J cabin map shows 1AC 2ACDF 3ACDF, for a total of 10 seats. However, the ACr 319 has 12 seats, and the 321 has 16.

I’ve noticed the same when looking at these flights on the app before departure. They seem to be blocking J capacity for some reason. Sorry - don’t have an explanation though.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:48 pm

It sounds like AC may have bought some 321s from another airline. These flights are being sold as 10J 190Y, compared to the regular 16J 184Y.

The seat map shows 193Y.

So it seems like they're capping it so if there's a swap, they haven't sold 3 too many seats.

Best case scenario for me is a last minute swap that opens up 6 more seats for gate upgrades
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I saw the same thing earlier for the same flight of course. Thought the seat map was off since I flew 1790 and 1795 last month

You can wave to me from up front while I sit in Y-steerage for the short hop.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
I saw the same thing earlier for the same flight of course. Thought the seat map was off since I flew 1790 and 1795 last month

You can wave to me from up front while I sit in Y-steerage for the short hop.
It's J1 right now and there are two of us. If we fly on a 10J aircraft, I'm pretty confident you'll have company in the back.

This flight is really weird. It's J1 C0 Y4 B0, but I can IKK all 4 of those Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.