Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So if there are 100 economy seats and 10 preferred seats, and they sell 108 economy seats and 2 preferred seats, what exactly do you want to happen?
1) Stop overselling
2) Bump them.

I strongly feel AC needs to protect their products. I understand that with leisure routes there is a large # of no shows, but I'm not the one running the airline.

I'm just tired of AC giving stuff away for free, Rouge included. WS doesn't have to oversell to run a profitable business for their leisure markets, I'm sure AC can do the same.

Life would be so much better without people who expect things like Plus when they don't pay for it. These are the people who fly, max, twice a year. They should mean nothing to Air Canada but they unfortunately do.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
1) Stop overselling
2) Bump them.

I strongly feel AC needs to protect their products. I understand that with leisure routes there is a large # of no shows, but I'm not the one running the airline.

I'm just tired of AC giving stuff away for free, Rouge included. WS doesn't have to oversell to run a profitable business for their leisure markets, I'm sure AC can do the same.
1. Then you completely don't understand the difference between leisure and premium models

2. Value is in the eye of the beholder not in Rouge's Rose coloured glasses or in AC'S tone deaf Queen St e tower. If youre tired of AC and rougr giving away "free" items that you value preciously, despite Rouge's customers paying some of the highest rasms on the continent, then maybe you should try flying true LCC where everyone pays for everything a la carte (and more equal from your pov) and stop flying AC/rouge.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kwflyer
1. Then you completely don't understand the difference between leisure and premium models

2. Value is in the eye of the beholder not in Rouge's Rose coloured glasses or in AC'S tone deaf Queen St e tower. If youre tired of AC and rougr giving away "free" items that you value preciously, despite Rouge's customers paying some of the highest rasms on the continent, then maybe you should try flying true LCC where everyone pays for everything a la carte (and more equal from your pov) and stop flying AC/rouge.
1) WS does this and they seem to do just fine
2) AC/Rouge can do whatever they want. I will continue to do what I will with Rouge, which is fly PR.

Me? Fly a LCC? Surely we have never met.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
1) Stop overselling
2) Bump them.

I strongly feel AC needs to protect their products. I understand that with leisure routes there is a large # of no shows.
I was once told that the most no shows are on business routes and not leisure routes. This is because the large majority of lat sales are for business and people change their schedules last min.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
1) WS does this and they seem to do just fine
2) AC/Rouge can do whatever they want. I will continue to do what I will with Rouge, which is fly PR.

Me? Fly a LCC? Surely we have never met.
WJ is not historically a business/pre!ium airline and focused on leisure markets where ppl actually show up for their flights and don't make speculative bookings. Although they are looking to change that, their brand is still is represented as a leisure model.

But it sounds like that model woukd fit your pov that woukd assuage any anger or frustration you would have to your fellow passengers. Further WJ is not the flag carrier of Canada, their raison d'être is different than acs and thus do not carry the privilege nor the responsibilities of maintaining that status.

2. Your pov is consistent with those who would enjoy flying an LCC. Where everybody is equal and has the freedom (and empowerment)to pay for what they want.

But it's quite hypocritical/iromic to be structurally complaining about your fellow comrades on a rouge flight, yet continue to associate with them and fly rouge. Given other alternatives that woukd align better with your pov.

Last edited by kwflyer; May 15, 2016 at 12:28 pm
Old May 15, 2016, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I was once told that the most no shows are on business routes and not leisure routes. This is because the large majority of lat sales are for business and people change their schedules last min.
Hmm. That would surprise me, and I'll bring this back to Rouge in a minute.

If I know my last meeting is ending on Friday at 4pm, I'll book the 6pm flight out. Chances are I'm not moving that meeting...

I seem to recall reading something somewhere that talked about leisure routes. I seem to recall something about AC overselling the Cuba route by 50%. I'm fairly certain I read it on EnRoute.

But yeah I would guess that Rouge regularly oversells their flights. Their RM must love that. But yeah my guess would be that Rouge regularly oversells vs ML. (IMO ML doesn't oversell as aggressively).
Old May 15, 2016, 12:27 pm
Suspended

And you would be correct on this subject of the airline industry.
Old May 15, 2016, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Hmm. That would surprise me, and I'll bring this back to Rouge in a minute.

If I know my last meeting is ending on Friday at 4pm, I'll book the 6pm flight out. Chances are I'm not moving that meeting...
But what if your meeting ended early, say 2pm or your meeting went long, say 5pm. Chances are you are on a different flight. This is one reason I buy FP's. I can book my flights last min.
Old May 15, 2016, 1:14 pm
Suspended

But what if your meeting ended early, say 2pm or your meeting went long, say 5pm. Chances are you are on a different flight. This is one reason I buy FP's. I can book my flights last min.
Fair point. I would pay the SDC so I can see your viewpoint on this versus a family would tough it out
Old May 15, 2016, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seem to recall reading something somewhere that talked about leisure routes. I seem to recall something about AC overselling the Cuba route by 50%. I'm fairly certain I read it on EnRoute....
I have heard the phrase "overselling" but by 50% ??? That makes no sense for AC to do this
Old May 15, 2016, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1) Stop overselling
2) Bump them.
But it's not a separate cabin. The seats come out of the same inventory.

Someone could buy up to a preferred seat as late as when check-in closes.

And in what world is bumping someone better for the company than putting someone in an otherwise empty seat?

I suppose they could first call up the elites who were not entitled to free preferred seats (E75K and lower on Tango, E50K and lower on international, etc.) and offer them the preferred seats before giving them to those who didn't select a seat. But that's the extent of what I'd like.
Old May 15, 2016, 3:20 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
My advice is to AVOID ROUGE AT ALL COSTS for long haul flights. If you are comfortable in sardine class for a short flight fine, but look after your self on board the flight. Do not sit there like an idiot.

here is a good reason why...

AC Rouge will put you into very a confined space for which you are paying money for. There can be consequences for this space such as death.

Deep Vein Thromboses is a possible outcome. One of my neighbors died of this 3 days after a flight from LHR and he was in perfect physical shape. it is frequently referred to as Economy Class syndrome, but that name could be broadened to include many high density carriers.

The difficulty for the leisure traveler is they likely have no knowledge or understanding on exactly what type of flight they are booking on. They go by price not comfort which is rarely described by airlines anymore. Just fill them up is the attitude.

I find this new level of marketing to be very unprofessional and disrespectful to the consumer.

Last edited by 100,000miler; May 15, 2016 at 3:26 pm
Old May 15, 2016, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
My advice is to AVOID ROUGE AT ALL COSTS for long haul flights. If you are comfortable in sardine class for a short flight fine, but look after your self on board the flight. Do not sit there like an idiot.

AC Rouge will put you into very a confined space for which you are paying money for. There can be consequences for this space such as death.

Deep Vein Thromboses is a possible outcome. One of my neighbors died of this 3 days after a flight from LHR and he was in perfect physical shape. it is frequently referred to as Economy Class syndrome, but that name could be broadened to include many high density carriers.

The difficulty for the leisure traveler is they likely have no knowledge or understanding on exactly what type of flight they are booking on. They go by price not comfort which is rarely described by airlines anymore. Just fill them up is the attitude.

I find this new level of marketing to be very unprofessional and disrespectful to the consumer.
Death? A bit dramatic, no? Has anyone died on Rouge?

Sorry to hear about your friend, but DVT can occur to someone flying F. It happens.

This isn't Rouge specific. What about LCC's, ULCC's? Are there reports of death from DVT?
Old May 15, 2016, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 100,000miler

Little over the top for your dislike for Rouge. Deep Vein Thromboses can happen in flight, in any cabin, on any airline. Pax, usually can solve this problem by just walking around a couple of time during a long flight. Unprofessional and disrespectful to the consumer? That's a long shot. Most pax want cheap and cheap is what they get. In general, today's consumers have entitlement issue and think they are always right. Well in the real world, the consumer is usually the wrong party and the one playing the games.
Old May 15, 2016, 6:28 pm

Unprofessional and disrespectful to the consumer? That's a long shot. Most pax want cheap and cheap is what they get.
Yes, but those of us who don't want "cheap" get treated like all the others who are looking for the cheapest option (unless we are willing to pay the poor value of their Premium seats). I just want reasonable value - the same as I would get on mainline - but that option isn't available. On some routes, my options are all lousy, so I figure I might as well take the non-stop lousy over the connection lousy.

And to SAP -- yes there have been many, many deaths associated with DVT (when DVT leads to pulmonary thromboembolism), but travel is not the only cause of DVT.....actually, there are many more cases resulting from health care than air travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.