Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:18 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by 24left
Quotes

"In the long-haul sector pressure on prices is massive. Airlines like Emirates, Qatar Airways and Etihad are flooding the market with cheap economy class tickets, making it hard for Germany-based Lufthansa to compete, as it has higher costs than its competitors."

"Low-cost offshoots are the only way forward for many established traditional carriers if they want to attract price-conscious customers. "Our ticket prices are 40 percent below economy prices at our parent company," Wilson says.
But flying low-cost is also less comfortable and the flight times can be inconvenient."

"It is not what passengers in Asia are accustomed to, as airlines there are rightly renowned for their excellent service. "Customers here had no idea what to expect from a low-cost carrier - they thought they'd get free drinks and meals. The really had to adapt," Campbell Wilson, head of Scoot explains."
-----

This got me thinking about AC's Rouge, where as we know from this thread, there is a long debate about the costs being cheaper for AC but not the customer.

Very interesting article from Deutsche Welle
"Lufthansa to Operate Low-Fare, Long-Haul Eurowings Routes"

Note the strategy and the reference to how they deal with the wage cost.

It would be interesting to hear from you experts on how Eurowings or Scoot compare to Rouge as carrier brands as well as from pax pov.

http://www.dw.de/long-haul-on-the-ch...egy/a-18110397
Lufthansa is actually taking another page out of the Rouge book beyond its Eurowings route. For example, they are in the process of re-configuing their A340s in 2 class, high density setup. To be used on mostly low yield routes. Sound familiar?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
If people weren't so price conscious, flying would be much better (e.g. WardAir) days. Unfortunately people are simply treating flying like a commodity and they don't enjoy paying much for it. So they whine and whine and now we get these HD planes. Sad but true economic fact. There's a 5 letter word I'm thinking of (especially of where I am right now). People being "cheap" comes to mind.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:32 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
If people weren't so price conscious, flying would be much better (e.g. WardAir) days. Unfortunately people are simply treating flying like a commodity and they don't enjoy paying much for it. So they whine and whine and now we get these HD planes. Sad but true economic fact. There's a 5 letter word I'm thinking of (especially of where I am right now). People being "cheap" comes to mind.
You are mostly correct. The reality is that people here represent a small percentage of the flying public, and despite the frequency of their flying it still does not represent enough revenue/traffic to warrant more consideration than the FF programme in terms of P/L.

Many airlines have tried to lure less price sensitive flyers by offering better products and more lavish offerings, but time and experience has shown that it does not work.

Before people throw EK, SQ et al out at me, please keep in mind these are long distance, international carriers than can connect most of the world in one stop and has access to many people with that level of disposable income. There aren't that many of those flying within NA.

Wardair, as you stated, There used to be couches in DC-8s and when the 747 came out the entire upstairs was a lounge. AA tried the More Room Throughout Economy, and may others have tried. The fact remains most people look at the price, the schedule and decide if they like it of not. They don't care about seat pitch (until they sit down, but that's forgotten when they get off, of the food, or the luggage times. They just want to get from A to B quickly for less money.

Until there are enough real numbers willing to pay for more, there is no economically viable alternative to where North Amercian/European Airlines are headed.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PLeblond
You are mostly correct. The reality is that people here represent a small percentage of the flying public, and despite the frequency of their flying it still does not represent enough revenue/traffic to warrant more consideration than the FF programme in terms of P/L.

Many airlines have tried to lure less price sensitive flyers by offering better products and more lavish offerings, but time and experience has shown that it does not work.

Before people throw EK, SQ et al out at me, please keep in mind these are long distance, international carriers than can connect most of the world in one stop and has access to many people with that level of disposable income. There aren't that many of those flying within NA.

Wardair, as you stated, There used to be couches in DC-8s and when the 747 came out the entire upstairs was a lounge. AA tried the More Room Throughout Economy, and may others have tried. The fact remains most people look at the price, the schedule and decide if they like it of not. They don't care about seat pitch (until they sit down, but that's forgotten when they get off, of the food, or the luggage times. They just want to get from A to B quickly for less money.

Until there are enough real numbers willing to pay for more, there is no economically viable alternative to where North Amercian/European Airlines are headed.
I completely agree, although I did recall seeing a banner/ad at YVR of some Japanese airline (AKA or JAL - pretty sure it was JAL) that featured their Y product being superior due to increased shoulder and leg room. I truly wonder if that is working from a competitive stance.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I completely agree, although I did recall seeing a banner/ad at YVR of some Japanese airline (ANA or JAL - pretty sure it was JAL) that featured their Y product being superior due to increased shoulder and leg room. I truly wonder if that is working from a competitive stance.
I corrected it for you....
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I corrected it for you....
LOL. Thanks, I didn't even catch that until your post. I'm 13 hours ahead, please gimme a break
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Grrr.

I see AC has just sent out a Rouge promotional email blast that directs people to their spiffy new web-site ... complete with the glamour shots that somehow show oodles of legroom in standard Rouge class.

Haven't seen the new site yet? Refer to my "truth in advertising" rant a couple of pages back.

They have every right to promote this dog, to use flowery language to sell it (provided that it's honest), and to show happy pretend customers in their photography. But when every Rouge class passenger (err, model) photo on the site is shown with 6 inches of extra legroom, well ... something's fishy. And when they make claims about those seats giving customers "more room and comfort"?? Again, grrr. It does not represent the truth.
http://www.adstandards.com/en/consum...Complaint.aspx
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:31 am
Suspended

That is, after all, the job of a marketer to do. Don't fault them. If you have a complaint as per Ensco, post it.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:27 am

Well, actually I would fault them for dishonest advertising.

I am aware of complaints to the Ad Council having an impact, so would encourage anyone so inclined to pursue that.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:38 am

You're assuming that an increase in airfares will result in a corresponding increase in quality. That assumption does not work in undersupplied markets. An increase in fares (or a decrease in fuel prices, for that matter) are not harbingers of investment in product - as I m sure you've noticed.

As a general rule, I don't object to people being 'cheap'. It fuels competition, efficiency and innovation. It's the same 'cheap' folk who shunned expensive electronics yesterday who've made PCs so accessible today.

I don't object to the Rouge product any more than I do to the FR product. If it works for someone, great. What I object to is the significantly worse value for money that Rouge provides relative to similar products around the world. That, to me, is more indicative of a structurally flawed market than it is of consumer cheapness. AC pax revenue per average seat mile are significantly higher than other N. American carriers. That they still cough up a Rouge product that is substandard compared to the much-maligned US mainline carriers suggests that the problem isn't cheap passengers; it's either an inefficient company or a structurally flawed market or a combination of the two.

I suppose the real question is: if everybody paid $20 more, would AC add more legroom under current market conditions?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I hear what you are saying. I went to EDI with a group of 8 last year on a fairy high end golf trip. This was no budget vacation. All the people I was going with I believe had higher incomes than me - high 6 figures to maybe even 7 figures a year. We went on the new Rouge 767 not too long after the route started and bought our tickets well in advance. I think the tango fare was about $850 or $900 and the premium economy fare was about $1300. All but 2 chose the tango fare, despite warnings from me about what they were getting into. So these people who were paying around $10,000 for a luxury trip were willing to sit in sardine can economy for 7 or 8 hours there and back to save $400 or $500. I honestly couldn`t believe it!

On another note, seeing as there are some people who are willing to pay for that increased comfort, I am surprised that the premium economy section isn`t a little more palatable. It wouldn`t have taken much to find a couple more inches for the 4 rows they have given up for premium rouge.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
It would be interesting to hear from you experts on how Eurowings or Scoot compare to Rouge as carrier brands as well as from pax pov.

http://www.dw.de/long-haul-on-the-ch...egy/a-18110397
TZ I can live with because the routes that they fly are serviced by many other carriers (SYD by BA/SQ/QF, HKG by CX/UA/SQ, TPE by CI/BR/SQ, etc.), and they do NOT offer LCC service with mainline prices.
(I know people who have flown HKGSIN v.v for HKD88+YQ+tax, and there were many free or deeply discounted ticket promotions.)
I cannot comment on €wings as I have not flown them.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I hear what you are saying. I went to EDI with a group of 8 last year on a fairy high end golf trip. This was no budget vacation. All the people I was going with I believe had higher incomes than me - high 6 figures to maybe even 7 figures a year. We went on the new Rouge 767 not too long after the route started and bought our tickets well in advance. I think the tango fare was about $850 or $900 and the premium economy fare was about $1300. All but 2 chose the tango fare, despite warnings from me about what they were getting into. So these people who were paying around $10,000 for a luxury trip were willing to sit in sardine can economy for 7 or 8 hours there and back to save $400 or $500. I honestly couldn`t believe it!

On another note, seeing as there are some people who are willing to pay for that increased comfort, I am surprised that the premium economy section isn`t a little more palatable. It wouldn`t have taken much to find a couple more inches for the 4 rows they have given up for premium rouge.
Did you at least try and get them to route via LHR instead?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Did you at least try and get them to route via LHR instead?
I did. The direct flight was cheaper so not much chance of that. Also put in a choice for FRA so some could have used points - only 1 thought it was a good idea - the other person who was willing to cough up the $$$ for premium rouge. Of course, the reward seats with scam charges were almost the same price as the direct rouge fare!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:06 am

The thing is, $400-500 is much more than the cost of a night in a good hotel.

I have several times made the choice to:

buy Tango to Europe, and buy an extra night hotel (ie have it available as soon as I land, as opposed to:

taking chances on Aerolotto and hoping for early checkin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.