Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Announcing Air Canada Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Air Canada Altitude - Disappointing

As others have pointed out, this new system will have a negative impact on those travelers who average between 35K – 50K status miles. I happen to be one of those travelers as I average between 40K – 45K each year. I’ve never passed the 50K mark and I do not anticipate that will happen for me anytime soon. So, with this new system, I will be downgraded from Star Alliance Gold to Silver, I will only have access to “select” MLL from having access to all MLL / Star Alliance Gold Lounges, lose access to complementary preferred seats and no priority baggage handling.

Air Canada’s slogan for the rebrand is, “New tiers and benefits. With you in mind.” Seeing as how I stand to gain nothing from this new system but will lose quite a bit, I fail to see how they had “me” in mind.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC E, S* G, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
No more fees for taking bikes on a plane! welcome change.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:10 pm

Kind of what I expected. I think it targets someone like me who flies more than 50 K but less then 100 K a year on several airlines/vacation operators. It also clearly targets (in a bad way ) people who barely hit 35K. It does make it clear AC wants more than 35K or go away

I now have to look at it and decide if I make sure it's at least 75K on AC and do the perks make it worth it.

I'm sitting at just over 50K today with another +10K already booked and another 10 to as much as 20K very likely.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DutchSE
Yes, these would have to be used on the rare cases of R space availability. For Latitude bookings or if R>0 at T-4
Actually no. Since R space is usually 0, it doesn't matter if you request the upgrade 7 days before or 1 day before. It's the status of the flier that matters at the gate.

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Wow, simply wow.

My head is spinning from all of the fine print with each tier and I may need a spreadsheet to keep track of everything. My first thought that comes to mind is how the heck are the agents going to keep everything straight? The potential for problems in that area have just increased greatly, IMHO.

The same day upgrades for SEs on Classic awards certainly peaked my interest.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by rstpeters
Air Canada’s slogan for the rebrand is, “New tiers and benefits. With you in mind.” Seeing as how I stand to gain nothing from this new system but will lose quite a bit, I fail to see how they had “me” in mind.
Who did you think they had in mind when they reduced your free stuff?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Uninspired at the 50k level. More upgrades, how come, I start off with 40 instead of 45 and for reaching 60 which I have aimed at the last two years, I get a bonus of 10 not 20. That leaves me -15 e-ups for +15k miles. The slight offset is I can max the e-ups and get tier bonus = 25,000 miles for me usually on 60,000 miles of flying, or in other words the equivalent of an Amex sign up, that being weighed against he 45k level.

Hoped that there would be bonus EQMs, could have been worse, some of the MLLSs sure will be emptier, will reflect, seriously thinking of jumping ship to oneworld for the awesome upgrade with avios option, I get all the domestic advantages through Amex anyway except the baggage increase which I barely use. (though did come in handy to move YUL-YTZ in 2 goes).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
They had "you" in mind when they pictured several whole cadres of frequent flyers dropping out of sight.

And I know I mustn't feed the trolls, but Z-man? Seriously dude, see if there's a dictionary up there on that lofty perch with you. You may be an SE, but that clearly doesn't stand for Speller Extraordinaire.

TOA13B
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:22 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by maradori

Interesting how the 35K only gets access to domestic and t/b MLL, not int'l ones. Ouch, they gotta forfeit both tier bonus and e-creds to get "full" *G lounge access
The funny, or sad part is, is that the Vancouver International MLL Lounge is really not all that nice.

I know I rant and complain, as a now bottom feeder. I used to be 80k when 80 was the new 35k. But hey - when they've extended "X" for 7-8 years, and then they take it away, it's worth making a complaint in my view.

It's only a matter of time before the 50 and 75K levels get leaner as well as they look for continued efficiencies.

2014 is around the corner and it the program has been cut / enhanced every single year.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Wow, simply wow.
My head is spinning from all of the fine print with each tier and I may need a spreadsheet to keep track of everything. My first thought that comes to mind is how the heck are the agents going to keep everything straight? The potential for problems in that area have just increased greatly, IMHO.
+1
UA is bad enough with 4 different tiers. Now AC has 5 separate tiers. Give me a break. Has no one in Montreal heard of KISS?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
UA is bad enough with 4 different tiers. Now AC has 5 separate tiers. Give me a break. Has no one in Montreal heard of KISS?
I will bet it will be 4 in 2014, 25/35 will be merged. 2013 is transition year
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
An absolute joke from Air Canada. A total insult to their 50K and under flyers, which I imagine consist mostly of genuine business travellers, not bottom feeder FT mileage runner types whom push to 100K anyway.

If you ever needed a clearer sign to leave Aeroplan, this is it.

#AirCanada #losers #bankrupt

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
As others have pointed out, this new system will have a negative impact on those travelers who average between 35K – 50K status miles. I happen to be one of those travelers as I average between 40K – 45K each year. I’ve never passed the 50K mark and I do not anticipate that will happen for me anytime soon. So, with this new system, I will be downgraded from Star Alliance Gold to Silver, I will only have access to “select” MLL from having access to all MLL / Star Alliance Gold Lounges, lose access to complementary preferred seats and no priority baggage handling.

There is no way to credit miles to AC if you fly less than 50k. Between 20k and 50k, just go with A3, you will be *G which is much better than E35k...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
I wonder what the split in the old E grouping will be? 60% 35K-49K, 30% 50K-74K, 10% 75K-99K?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
At the 35k level, I just do not see any reason not to just go to Aegean and get full *G. I just noticed some awesome things in their programme - earn rates are 200% on AC J class, and 150% in R class.

Read that and weep. They give points for free upgrades. Awesome. So, you only ned 15k for *G in first year.

Plus the redemption rates are very reasonable! This could well be my 2012 route, *G Aegan and try out the oneworld ladder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.