Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)

*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.

Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by imverge
When TAP launched their YYZ flights earlier this year there was about a 2 week period where NO YQ was being added to online bookings.
I did see that - with that said $130ish is not bad.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise
I just booked two J tickets on ANA, YVR-HND return and there was no YQ. Taxes and fees only about $76 each. OTOH though, 150k AP miles for a flight in J that is shorter than YVR - FRA which is 140k in F. that irks me.
I was looking at different destinations in Japan and none seemed to have YQ. does this mean that NH can be added to the "little or no fuel-surcharges" list?
And I just booked J seats on ANA from Manila to Vancouver via HND. Zero scam charges and ONLY $ 16 in taxes/fees total. I have NEVER had it so good!
^
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Interesting and good news. A few posts back indicates ANA reinstated fuel surcharges back on April 1. Now it is gone. I can't keep up.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Interesting and good news. A few posts back indicates ANA reinstated fuel surcharges back on April 1. Now it is gone. I can't keep up.
No, it's still there as per the rules defined here

Look closely at the countries and amounts on the charts

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ca/e/asw_c...fuelsurcharge/

Attached Images  
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
I saw that chart as well. But E Bodo just booked Manilla-HND-YVR on ANA J with no surcharge. What gives?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
I saw that chart as well. But E Bodo just booked Manilla-HND-YVR on ANA J with no surcharge. What gives?
Others here can explain it better, but like HKG etc, there are different rules applying to where the flight departs from, arrives to or transit through.

Look at the chart in the link I posted and note Japan-Korea.

E Bodo might also have been the lucky recipient of a math error.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Others here can explain it better, but like HKG etc, there are different rules applying to where the flight departs from, arrives to or transit through.

Look at the chart in the link I posted and note Japan-Korea.

E Bodo might also have been the lucky recipient of a math error.
Ha, I have just tried to replicate my deal, Dec 7th. is my date. ANA is gone but Asiana in F is available for $ 80. Not bad either, considering Asiana operates 380 and I have never been in F on this aircraft. Frankly, I think even Israeli counter intelligence can't follow Aeroplan charges nowdays!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:10 pm

anyone know which airline has a higher YQ between Asiana and Thai in Business class?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Are there scam fees on Aer Lingus (EI)? I'm seeing availability on UA website for EI/SK, but that option isn't on AE website.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Are there scam fees on Aer Lingus (EI)? I'm seeing availability on UA website for EI/SK, but that option isn't on AE website.
because they are not Aeroplan partners...... @:-)@:-)
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Yes, I just realized that. Sorry!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum, Cathay Pacific Gold, club carlson Gold, Le club Accor Platinum
Aeroplan started charging YQ on Air China flights as of Feb 16th except for the US-China routes

Last edited by supremekai; Feb 17, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by supremekai
Aeroplan started charging YQ on Air China flights as of Feb 16th except for the US-China routes
Noticed the surcharge when searching to book an award to India from USA West Coast connecting through PEK...its nearly $800 CAD on a round trip J award.....ouch...
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:56 pm

I have a question re the Wiki table of those airlines that do and those that don't charge YQ. The table uses the terminology "Aeroplan fuel surcharges" - is this different from "paid flight" fuel surcharges?

My wife is booking a YYZ - IST - CAI paid return trip in Y, flying TK and MS only. On a return ticket totalling $1,111 the fuel surcharge listed is $577, yet both TK and MS are in the "No Aeroplan fuel surcharges" list. What's happening?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by hazcaddy
I have a question re the Wiki table of those airlines that do and those that don't charge YQ. The table uses the terminology "Aeroplan fuel surcharges" - is this different from "paid flight" fuel surcharges?

My wife is booking a YYZ - IST - CAI paid return trip in Y, flying TK and MS only. On a return ticket totalling $1,111 the fuel surcharge listed is $577, yet both TK and MS are in the "No Aeroplan fuel surcharges" list. What's happening?
Aeroplan surcharges have very little to do with revenue surcharges.
Since its AC collecting them, and not the operating carrier requesting them, the collection can be random.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.