Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by bt_yyz
It just seems strange that R-space is 0-ed so far out. It makes sense that it might be 0-ed around the e-upgrade window.
Well, no... Latitude fares can still upgrade at time of purchase... why would someone buy a J fare, when they could just buy Latitude and upgrade?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by hjohnson
Well, no... Latitude fares can still upgrade at time of purchase... why would someone buy a J fare, when they could just buy Latitude and upgrade?
Because B fare is sometimes more expensive than Z fare.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
AC probably anticipates high demand for J on this flight. For example, take a look at AC 859 LHR-YYZ for any Friday this summer: J9, Z0, D0, R0. AC knows they will fill J at full J prices so why offer lower fares, let alone R space.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:31 pm

If you're willing to fly through YUL, there's room on 875.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Europe flights in the summer are quite high demand. Doesn't surprise me at all.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: UA MP Platinum
Originally Posted by Dorian
Europe flights in the summer are quite high demand. Doesn't surprise me at all.
I've found R-space through CPH and MUC, but not FRA. Any other good routes with R availability (or potential) to ARN (Stockholm)?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: Altitude SEMM
Another R data point. AC 181 on March 10, booked January 31 in B, waitlisted. Was R1 before I booked, but R0 when the booking was confirmed.

Upgrade cleared this morning (T-2). I had been monitoring this flight at J6 for the past few days. Currently J0.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Livyer
Another R data point. AC 181 on March 10, booked January 31 in B, waitlisted. Was R1 before I booked, but R0 when the booking was confirmed.
That's interesting. Does anyone know if AC automatically zeroes R space once a Y/B ticket has been sold to prevent the purchaser from upgrading?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by hjohnson
One reason that matters to me: In the event of an equipment change, I don't get bumped to Y. This matters to me when I'm flying overseas and need to be sure I arrive refreshed.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Hi all,
I'm new to the board, elite status, and the R Games, and I would be grateful for the advice of experienced people who have been playing this game longer than I have.

I am looking to book a ticket to TLV for a few months from now and my dates are flexible. When I select some flights, it says "Seats Available for Upgrade," while other times it says "You will be waitlisted." Since both cases involve flights well beyond the eupgrade window for E50K, won't I be waitlisted in either case? Is there any advantage to booking a ticket that says "Seats Available for Upgrade" so far in advance? Finally, what is the best way to play the lottery involved in attempting to upgrade longer flights? How can I maximize my chances? Thanks for the tips and advice!
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
If you buy a latitude fare they can be upgraded anytime. Flex you will have to wait until T-4.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hydrogen
That's interesting. Does anyone know if AC automatically zeroes R space once a Y/B ticket has been sold to prevent the purchaser from upgrading?
No they don't. R goes down as it is actually consumed, and then at T-7 (for international). For domestic, I am seeing R > 0 until it is actually used all the way until T-2 or so.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by lowside67
If you buy a latitude fare they can be upgraded anytime. Flex you will have to wait until T-4.
T-5 days now for E50.

YYZtoDCA, to maximize your upgrade chances, try to imagine when business passengers on paid J would likely fly, and then fly at other times/days.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Just to present a counterpoint, there is one (small) advantage to these R games: preserving flexibility for paid J flyers. On more than one occasion now, I've benefited from this (last minute bookings, changes, etc.).
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Seems to be very good R availability even within the window at present. Just checked YYZ-YVR for next Friday, and seeing much higher than 0 for all flights, including on the widebodies. R8 on AC137 (333) and R9 on AC33 (777).

Interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.