Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by tinchote
So, after reading the whole thread, I'm still unclear on what to do when the following happens: I'm waitlisted for an upgrade, and when I try to OLCI at T-24, I get the message "one of your flights is not available" (or similar). As far as I understand there are two possible courses of action:

1) Wait until chicking-in airport, to keep my place in the list;

2) Remove the upgrade request (either by myself, or I guess this is what they do when you phone them with this problem), check-in, and then re-request the upgrade.

Is there a clear idea of which of the two options maximizes the upgrade possibilities at the gate?
If it says "one of your flights", and you have an earlier flight that you're upgraded on, that will really give you high priority so I wouldn't worry about it. If it's your first flight, then do #2 since they transfer the list to the airport and the request time no longer matters. I don't know if they transfer list to airport at T-24, or at midnight though
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Interesting note:

YYZ-YYC for next Saturday cleared immediately for one person, other person on wait list. Better and the same, respectively. Oh well...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: AC*E35
What do you guys think the chances are?

I'm trying to upgrade my mother ac142 8am YVR YYZ, and the 6:20pm YYZ LHR on July 19.

I am an E but she has no status.

Both are J9R0, but just a few days ago were J9R9, which is frustrating.

The seat maps look even better like 18 "empty" seats bearing in mind of course that's not accurate.

What I'm really afraid of is wasting my e-up credits if she gets on YVR-YYZ but not YYZ-LHR...

Does she have any higher priority YYZ-LHR cause she was coming off an e-up, assuming the YVR YYZ flight goes through? (different flight numbers tho)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
If it says "one of your flights", and you have an earlier flight that you're upgraded on, that will really give you high priority so I wouldn't worry about it. If it's your first flight, then do #2 since they transfer the list to the airport and the request time no longer matters. I don't know if they transfer list to airport at T-24, or at midnight though
Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by highlander88
What do you guys think the chances are?

I'm trying to upgrade my mother ac142 8am YVR YYZ, and the 6:20pm YYZ LHR on July 19.

I am an E but she has no status.

Both are J9R0, but just a few days ago were J9R9, which is frustrating.

The seat maps look even better like 18 "empty" seats bearing in mind of course that's not accurate.

What I'm really afraid of is wasting my e-up credits if she gets on YVR-YYZ but not YYZ-LHR...

Does she have any higher priority YYZ-LHR cause she was coming off an e-up, assuming the YVR YYZ flight goes through? (different flight numbers tho)
Yes, I keep posting about this. lol - I've been told by numerous gate agents, that connecting passengers (i.e. those coming off an earlier flight), get really high priority because they want to upgrade you the whole way. It doesn't trump status, but it may trump fare class (no one seems to know for sure!!). And in terms of competing connecting passengers, from what I've been told, the longer the connection the better your chances.

E.g. A is going LAX-YVR-SYD, and is E. He will trump another E going YVR-SYD.

B is also E, going PHX-YYZ-YVR-SYD (YYZ-YVR is on a 321, not the same flight #*). B will proverbially kick A in the balls, and trump him.

* - I put B on a different flight # to make it more similar to your example. Otherwise, it adds another factor.

What I don't know in your example, is what the significance of your mom not having status is, maybe someone else can chime in? Because trumping other non-status people because of YVR-YYZ leg, doesn't help much competing against E/SE.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: AC*E35
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Yes, I keep posting about this. lol - I've been told by numerous gate agents, that connecting passengers (i.e. those coming off an earlier flight), get really high priority because they want to upgrade you the whole way. It doesn't trump status, but it may trump fare class (no one seems to know for sure!!). And in terms of competing connecting passengers, from what I've been told, the longer the connection the better your chances.

E.g. A is going LAX-YVR-SYD, and is E. He will trump another E going YVR-SYD.

B is also E, going PHX-YYZ-YVR-SYD (YYZ-YVR is on a 321, not the same flight #*). B will proverbially kick A in the balls, and trump him.

* - I put B on a different flight # to make it more similar to your example. Otherwise, it adds another factor.

What I don't know in your example, is what the significance of your mom not having status is, maybe someone else can chime in? Because trumping other non-status people because of YVR-YYZ leg, doesn't help much competing against E/SE.

Yeah that would make sense to me. I just don't understand why it goes all the sudden from R9 to R0 when J is still J9. crazy system.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: AC75 MM
I just don't understand why it goes all the sudden from R9 to R0 when J is still J9. .
In essence, that is what the entire thread is about
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah that would make sense to me. I just don't understand why it goes all the sudden from R9 to R0 when J is still J9. crazy system.
I recently bought two very cheap Z fares on a route in which the J section yield is low. Before that there was R inventory available, but admittedly I did not check if it was R2 or R9.

Anyway, after I bought these two tickets, R went to zero. At that point, ours were the only two seats assigned in J. These tickets were bought in June for early Aug. departure.

I suspect R9 is kind of a default which they set early on, and when changes happen then they get into real busienss mode and thy start playing more attention. Hence R9 to R0 instead of R7.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:03 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

How long until upgrade space starts showing something like R-3?

I see a new form of Aerolotto where people with confirmed upgrade start getting bounced out of J at the gate.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Just my observation on this phenomenon.

I am watching an upcoming trip to LGA via YYZ. My YYZ-LGA leg was J9, Z9 R5 and then at Day T-8 it suddenly changed to J9 Z9 R0, this is on AC 704. Unless there are a few SEs lurking or many LMUs are sold I am pretty certain I will get an UG at the gate. My YYC-YYZ leg is still R9 and it is T-6 today.
Despite these shenanigans of AC I must admit I have been really lucky with UG this year, getting all that I have requested.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite
I qualified for Elite this year after flying on AC for many years and following FT for the past few years. I am 2 for 2 on upgrades so far, both cleared at T-4. First was LHR-YVR two weeks ago the and second is the return leg on Sunday. For the first flight, I left London during the Olympics which I'm sure helped my chances immensely and for this upcoming one I am flying on a Sunday so can't see too many paid business passengers. So no complaints from yet but I've been lucky timing-wise so far.

zen
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
I no longer accept the fact I can upgrade as a right of the program, but more of a privilege of the program. I fly out next week and at 7 days out I received my YOW-YYZ upgrade (I know who doesnt) I am waitlisted to PHX and only three seats have been sold in J but I was upgraded SFO to YVR. So the longest leg is the one that counts and I have to wait! The last time I was waitlisted PHX-YYZ all J seats were bought! So I cant complain. I am still fuzzy on the OLCI and canceling your waitlist and requesting an upgrade if the system is offering LMU on check in. But I remain humble about it.

I was visiting a friend of mine in Saint John this week and his wifes sister works at the AC reservation centre and she told me a lot of stories about many SE & E who think they are GODS! I tell you I can see why many have issues as these hard working people can make things easy for us or hard. Be nice and respectful when speaking to these people, they are here to help and no I was not asked to say this, but I have a better respect and understating for these people.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:56 pm

Cool R Games - or none at all

Reading through this entire thread took some time.

Over the summer, the thread has gone quieter (things got "interesting" enforce summer)- perhaps the R Games have changed ?

Towards the end, chatter has shifted to Z fares and the like - avoiding the R Games entirely...

In my experience, a shocker was realizing the fuel surcharge on AC when booking into the Exec First cabin (j,c,d,z) is about double that of Y cabin fares.

Perhaps I missed something, but this can really add up...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Last week I was able to upgrade both ways YVR-YYZ, something I have rarely been able to do for the last couple of years. In both cases the u/g cleared at T-4 days, the first one immediately, the second about 90 minutes after wait listing.

I put it down to the summer slow season (noting that AC declined to offer the discount deal this year), but perhaps things are changing. Time will tell.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFFlyer
Reading through this entire thread took some time.

Over the summer, the thread has gone quieter (things got "interesting" enforce summer)- perhaps the R Games have changed ?

Towards the end, chatter has shifted to Z fares and the like - avoiding the R Games entirely...

In my experience, a shocker was realizing the fuel surcharge on AC when booking into the Exec First cabin (j,c,d,z) is about double that of Y cabin fares.

Perhaps I missed something, but this can really add up...
I see WIDE open J cabins on flights to PEK, for instance, with no upgrades clearing 7, 6,5, days ahead. I see other flights with J sold out (as in no J seats for sale), but Elite upgrade clearing at the gate.

Discount J available TPAC from 4200 + (less 20% if you have a stack of electronic vouchers), with cheapest T+ fare more than half of that! Yet, Y is full to the rafters, J is empty.

AC revenue management must be having a hard time right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.