Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The R Games

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
R9/8 Jul 4

YVR-HKG R9
YVR-NRT R8
YVR-ICN R0
YVR-PEK R0
YVR-PVG R0
YVR-SYD R0
How come HKG and NRT have R space but not the rest?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Maye
I'll certainly remember that next time I do The R Games. Thank you!
Just for kicks, flying YYZ-CPH 19-Jul-2012 and returning CPH-YYZ 27-Jul-2012, the Latitude fare is C$1,951 each way whereas Executive First Lowest is $1,494 each way.

Why would you pay more to fly economy than business?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Just for kicks, flying YYZ-CPH 19-Jul-2012 and returning CPH-YYZ 27-Jul-2012, the Latitude fare is C$1,951 each way whereas Executive First Lowest is $1,494 each way.

Why would you pay more to fly economy than business?
The Latitude fare is flexible and the Z fare is not.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by fin 645
That is a myth. When one considers the probability to have to change, and the cost required to change, Latitude fare usually is not worth the premium.

In my above YYZ-CPH-YYZ example, the change fee is C$400 and the cancellation fee is C$500.

The fare difference is close to C$1,000.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jun 28, 2012 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 28, 2012, 1:50 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by fin 645
While that's certainly true I think a more likely factor would be if Y is available (and it almost always is) but Z is not.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KenHamer
While that's certainly true I think a more likely factor would be if Y is available (and it almost always is) but Z is not.
There is no guarantee of the same latitude fare being available upon change, too, unless you upgrade the latitude fare to a full flex Y.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:09 pm

Can the Z not voluntarily downgrade to sit in the economy cabin if there is space?

BTW some Latitude fares have change and cancellation fees.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Forgive me for asking a silly and (in my mind at least) an unthinkable question, but I'm just looking into getting back with flying AC and I need someone to bounce ideas off of! I have to book a r/t ex-YYC/YEG/YVR (not sure yet) to TPE soon-ish. JL still has those rather sensational fares of ~$2300 YVR-NRT-TPE in C, and the closest I can see on AC in T+ is ~$1900 for Q class. I've already snagged a couple of the cheap YVR-HKG and YVR-TPE r/t and it really seems insane to even consider AC T+ when it's only $400 cheaper than JL C but I'm at 0 miles on AC this year after trying out DL and not being too impressed.

I guess my real question is: for those of you who are monitoring the YYC/YVR-NRT routes, has R availability been good at the start of the SE window? I have all my credits from last year to burn and I know waitlisted upgrades are pretty easy for SE but I don't want to pay AC's exorbitant prices if I can't be at least 80% certain I'd find TPAC R space. Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Santander
I'm at 0 miles on AC this year after trying out DL and not being too impressed.
Not impressed with Delta

You were not impressed with Delta's Champagne ,2 rounds to boot!! or all your upgrades clearing at booking even @ a lower tier than SE !

How cannot you not be impressed with Delta.

A long time poster moved over to Delta & raving reviews . Are you talking about same Delta.

Was delta's champagne not good? You were not impressed by the 2 rounds !

QUOTE=KenHamer;18827964]On Delta.
(And my experience as Silver on DL (equivalent to Prestige) has been every bit as good as my SE experience on AC.
Champagne -- real Champagne --for pre-flight beverage on MSP-YVR last Saturday, with 2 rounds to boot and more in flight. Too bad I don't drink.)
Originally Posted by KenHamer
So far this year, all of my upgrades have been processed at time of booking

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 29, 2012 at 8:25 am
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:05 pm

DL is a perfectly serviceable airline, I just wasn't too impressed with their FF programme. I don't even get the opportunity to fly DL that often, I earned my status mainly based on AF and CZ flights.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
DL is a perfectly serviceable airline, I just wasn't too impressed with their FF programme. I don't even get the opportunity to fly DL that often, I earned my status mainly based on AF and CZ flights.
That's why I credit DL to AS.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:23 pm

I used to fly enough "spare flights" on DL/AA to make AS MVP, but I'd still need a place to park my CZ miles which is why I am stuck with DL. (As bad as SkyMiles is, it beats CZ's sorry excuse for a FFP)
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:40 am
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.448 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Forgive me for asking a silly and (in my mind at least) an unthinkable question, but I'm just looking into getting back with flying AC and I need someone to bounce ideas off of! I have to book a r/t ex-YYC/YEG/YVR (not sure yet) to TPE soon-ish. JL still has those rather sensational fares of ~$2300 YVR-NRT-TPE in C, and the closest I can see on AC in T+ is ~$1900 for Q class. I've already snagged a couple of the cheap YVR-HKG and YVR-TPE r/t and it really seems insane to even consider AC T+ when it's only $400 cheaper than JL C but I'm at 0 miles on AC this year after trying out DL and not being too impressed.

I guess my real question is: for those of you who are monitoring the YYC/YVR-NRT routes, has R availability been good at the start of the SE window? I have all my credits from last year to burn and I know waitlisted upgrades are pretty easy for SE but I don't want to pay AC's exorbitant prices if I can't be at least 80% certain I'd find TPAC R space. Thanks.
Be careful about JL's ex-YVR "C" cabin - it's more like AC's seasonal "comfort" class. Check seatguru.com first.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:02 am

Thanks for the reminder KH. I've flown JL 767s before so I understand there is a reason why JL is almost perennially so cheap ex-YVR. In any case, if I can nearly assure myself of an upgrade as a SE for YVR-NRT I'm willing to pay the high price but if I have to play R games I'd rather pay $400 or so in cash and be guaranteed JL recliner C.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
I would pay the 400 as there is rarely a sure thing in R. That said I have had great luck to NRT, but am careful to watch the loads, and will change from one day to the next of J is more available on one flight than the other. Even if it is showing R0. Last March my day of travel was J4 R0. The next day it was 17 J open though showing J8 Z0 and R0. Paid the change fee at the 4 day window, upgrade confirmed 36 hours out. Plane left with 4 open J seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.