Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Nah, routing New York to Australia via every substantially inhabited continent (sorry Antarctica) is a challenge worth striving for! (And it's under MPM+5%!)

As I see it, I'm going to spend ~25h doing the "sensible" way of getting to Sydney with the first award that I booked earlier this week (EWR to SFO [~6h] and SFO-SYD [~14h] with a ~5h layover at SFO). Spending a few extra hours in metal tubes doesn't bother me if it means I get to go to a few other cities I'd otherwise not visit (since I don't have the inclination to buy international J nor the desire to sit in longhaul international Y if I were doing this on revenue tickets).
The above EWR-SFO-SYD is a great rounting. Coming from East Coast there is no other option. No non-stop from East Coast.
Even with Paid J/F I have to do the same. I go to OZ every couple of months, trust me there is no other option from East Coast except to go via West Coast. Even AC Direct Flight YYZ-SYD touches down in YVR.

When I talk about Crazy Award Routing I am talking about:
YYZ-FRA-HKG-BKK-SYD
YUL-YYZ-MUC-FRA-BKK-MEL
One does not get to see other cities with these crazy routings.
What one gets to see or visit airports & lounges of these crazy routings.
Most airports are boring,there are exception very few, Changi is one of them.
With these Crazy Routings In some cases only for 3-4 hours on the ground(Visiting Cities as some post) Enough time to get off from the aircraft, run to the Airline lounge, Grab a quick shower, go on the internet to post, Sent an email to friends or post on FT:

I am in LH Senator's lounge / LH First Class lounge / SQ Silver Kris Lounge in SIN or the Private Room. It is awesome, I just had cooked to order breakfast /a sit downdinner, there is a menu, why AC MLL not offer this service.
Than run to the gate for next flight.
How can running through an Airport, spending an hour & half in an Airline Lounge can one say it is visiting a city ?

Or Routing through BKK , (trust me when I say BKK International Airport is not one to write home about), spending 10 hours in an Aluminum Tube in J or F to get there, so one can run to Thai Lounge to get an hour of Comp. massage( Taxes & Fuel Surcharges paid to get to BKK to get the comp. massage,one can get it in home city at top Spa So it is not Comp afterall) & than run to the gate to catch the next connection or 2 or 3 before your final destination, one can call I get to visits cities otherwise would not on this award booking.

Call spade a spade:
With these Crazy Award Routings:
1.One gets to visit gate areas around the world not cities.
2. One gets to experiece Running to other *A Airline Lounges for hour or 2 on arrival at the airport, get couple of free massages in the lounges as a bonus
3.Spend 40+hours in an Aluminum Tube.

Last edited by yyzprincess; Dec 9, 2011 at 7:54 am
Old Dec 9, 2011, 7:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Zomg I wake up in the morning and we're STILL on about that??

Look, it's cool, we (or at least I) get it. You are an ultra-...... FF who flies a bajillion miles per year, SQ treats you to private rooms and you hate aluminium tubes. Spectacular.

Can we pls move on now? To each his (or her) own.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
[QUOTE=Pseudo Nim;17595028]Zomg I wake up in the morning and we're STILL on about that??

Look, it's cool, we (or at least I) get it. You are an ultra-...... FF who flies a bajillion miles per year, SQ treats you to private rooms and you hate aluminium tubes. Spectacular.

Can we pls move on now? To each his (or her) own.[/QUOTE}

It is not about me visiting Private rooms & being treated well by SQ.

I am the first poster to point out these crazy award routings for what they are , for that I am told it is about me.
Sometimes truth is a bitter pill to swallow.

You guys make these crazy routings seem Glamorous visiting cities around the world. being Pampered in the lounges.All I am doing is pointing out that it is not visiting cities around the world which one would not have opportunities to do so without these crazy award routings.

Truth be known : It is visiting Gate Areas around the world .Spending 1-2 hours in a lounge rusing through a shower, or a massage or the cooked to order breakfast or sit down dinner is not pampering experience.

As for the hard product, I am pointing even first Class or J in SQ or LH 380 is not a pampering experience. One gets a decent meal no way close to fine dinning in your home city, the beds they are very comfortable,do not come close to even a Sheraton beds.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
You guys make these crazy routings seem Glamorous visiting cities around the world. being Pampered in the lounges.All I am doing is pointing out that it is not visiting cities around the world which one would not have opportunities to do so without these crazy award routings.
If I choose to stop for nearly 24 hours in a city or perhaps even make a city one of my stopovers, am I still not visiting them or am I just wasting my time in a metal tube in the sky?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:20 am
Used to be '076753k'

Programs: AirCanada*G
I'm looking forward to my layover in Frankfurt for 17hours! I have german heritage and have never been their yet! Granted I will take advantage of the LH arrivals lounge for a quick refresh prior to heading into the city for the day!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:23 am

I am the first poster to point out these crazy award routings for what they are , for that I am told it is about me.

Truth be known : It is visiting Gate Areas around the world .Spending 1-2 hours in a lounge rusing through a shower, or a massage or the cooked to order breakfast or sit down dinner is not pampering experience.

As for the hard product, I am pointing even first Class or J in SQ or LH 380 is not a pampering experience. One gets a decent meal no way close to fine dinning in your home city, the beds they are very comfortable,do not come close to even a Sheraton beds.
No - you are using straw man reasoning - this is NOT "about you", but rather, about your reasoning. You are, indeed, the first poster to point it out - and we have all agreed that you have a valid point of view that we choose to disagree with - nobody is trying to convince you that you're wrong, but repeating your argument over and over will likely not convince anyone, either. What you are doing, though, is kind of what the guy in the following picture is doing:

http://i.imgur.com/EarnI.gif

So consider your argument noted, and let's move on, as you will not get any more or less agreement than you already have. Just stop saying that you're always in F, J, private suites, and yet you hate it, hate it, hate it. You come across as somewhat obnoxious, which is probably not your intention, so I'm just pointing it out.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Oh Gob, how I miss thee....slightly off topic but Season 4 cannot get here soon enough.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
I agree with yyzprincess, kind of.

There is absolutely no fun having to go YYZ-SYD spending 40 hours in the plane and transiting at airports, albeit in F. I would always try to get the most direct route. That`s why I do not agree to flying even YTO-FRA-LON instead of YTO-LON just for the sake of taking F on LH.

However, I still prefer to get to MEL flying YYZ-MUC-FRA-BKK-MEL etc. This is because I would stop at MUC, FRA, BKK for at least 10 hours each. It`s great to be able to sample each city/place by going to a dinner, or spending a night at a nice hotel en route to MEL. This also breaks up the trip a bit so I don't have to endure the aluminum tube for too long at a time.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k

Which *A carrier serves PTP?
Trivia:
AC serves YUL-PTP 2x/week.

Nobody serve PTT, actual today there are two GA departures; a Pilatus PC-12and a Cessna Chancellor = 17 seats, 3 engines total. Wonder how many award seats?

Originally Posted by jarusoba
I agree with yyzprincess, kind of.

There is absolutely no fun having to go YYZ-SYD spending 40 hours in the plane and transiting at airports, albeit in F. I would always try to get the most direct route. That`s why I do not agree to flying even YTO-FRA-LON instead of YTO-LON just for the sake of taking F on LH.

However, I still prefer to get to MEL flying YYZ-MUC-FRA-BKK-MEL etc. This is because I would stop at MUC, FRA, BKK for at least 10 hours each. It`s great to be able to sample each city/place by going to a dinner, or spending a night at a nice hotel en route to MEL. This also breaks up the trip a bit so I don't have to endure the aluminum tube for too long at a time.
I'll have to also, kind of agree, with yyzprincess; the most direct route is an important criteria when trying to get someplace. Now, shove aside deadlines and constraints and throw in a bit more leisure for a moment. The journey, to me, is also an important part of the trip. So, yes, I haven't got flying/travelling out of my system, yes, I do enjoy the flying in an aluminum tube bit, and yes I'd do crazy routing (in F I hope!) to have more of that type of experience. It's certainly better than doing the exact same crazy routing in Y.

However, sometimes one has to make choices and trade-offs based on their own particular needs, wants and objectives. Sure, I'd like to go visit cities around the world (of even lounges and terminals ), on the most direct route in F. But, I may not have the option of the most direct route (e.g.. pay an F-fare ), so crazy routings, here I come! 'Cuz it's (only, for now) award travel that will present me with that opportunity.

I would not fly to LHR , arrive at 6:00AM & return on noon fllight if I did not enjoy flying. I want the most direct route in J or F.
I'd guess you did a 6-hr turn in LHR not because you enjoy flying per se, but rather because you had to be there, and be back the same day, and that whatever you had/did in LON and/or back in YYZ is what brought you enjoyment. If in a situation with obligations and constraints I sure would like to be as comfortable as possible, and maximum time for what I wanted/needed to do the most.

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
If I choose to stop for nearly 24 hours in a city or perhaps even make a city one of my stopovers, am I still not visiting them or am I just wasting my time in a metal tube in the sky?
I'd maximize my layover time, too. ^

Anywho, my two cents (no YQ...!)

Now, it's time to get lunch...

Cheers,

Whitey
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
[QUOTE=yyzprincess;17595200]
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Zomg I wake up in the morning and we're STILL on about that??

Can we pls move on now? To each his (or her) own.[/QUOTE}

It's still good compared to what you would get in whY......
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:19 am

i hear where yyzprincess is saying..... when you have someone that travels 300K/per year flying F and J, sure you have other priorities...... And probably the last thing you want is to step on another plane...

Just the same between myself and GHT senior..... he's flown so much in his life in F and J, he just likes to relax in 1 location, but my lifestyle, i prefer Amazing Race.... see as much of a city within 24 hours or a few days (whenever stopover/POT permits/budget and time constraints)......

GHT senior calls me crazy for visiting so many cities at once and i call him a bum for being lazy when he is still mobile in his life........God forbid, but the last thing i want is to be 80 years old and trying to walk in Tokyo or the wilderness half crippled......

And if you talk to junior vs senior pilots/FA, they will most likely say similar.... young wanting to travel and senior staff viewing it more like work.

But then you think about it again, we come from different walks of life.....and have difference distances taken during our walk.......

Then you have the more extreme, MRers...... which fly for the miles only...... I still find that......."interesting"

At the end of the day, in speaking to people a MiniDO, MegaDO, telephone, email, PM, reading this thread.... I can tell you there are two distinct group of people.....

1. Mile high flyer travelling usually for work/personal commitments
2. Leisurely people wanting to travel, have a good time.......

Last edited by global happy traveller; Dec 9, 2011 at 11:35 am
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:40 am

The above points are exactly what I said earlier - depends on your priorities, and one would be hard-pressed to call another one crazy simply for choosing this way or that.

So, as GHT (jr!) said, there are 2 types of people, yyzprincess falls in one, some of us fall in the other, and some fall in between.

Do we all agree and hug now? Let's burn the strawmen and return to talking about this neverending promo.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
would I do a crazy out of a way routing for a week long or a 2 weeks long vacation... probably not. Would I want to minimize my time in the tube if going for work, or flew around for work all year - absolutely.

Do I like flying different airlines and convoluted routings on one of my 7-8 week long trips, absolutely.

I just booked BKK-KUL-SIN-SYD-AKL-RAR(dest)-AKL-PVG(stop)-KIX in business (using the amazing CO glitch) instead of BKK-SIN direct - just to fly EgyptAir BKK-KUL. Timing wise, it just means spending less time in SIN airport - so I couldnt pass up the opportunity!
I could have flown BKK-AKL direct on TG, and not go on the SQ A380... but why.. I am not in a hurry... I got 9 weeks off.

I am #2. I love to fly and travel. I'd probably be different if I was forced to fly. What fun is F/J if you cant get a bit sloshed since you know next day you ll just be sitting on the beach instead of going to work meetings
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
would I do a crazy out of a way routing for a week long or a 2 weeks long vacation... probably not. Would I want to minimize my time in the tube if going for work, or flew around for work all year - absolutely.

Do I like flying different airlines and convoluted routings on one of my 7-8 week long trips, absolutely.

I just booked BKK-KUL-SIN-SYD-AKL-RAR(dest)-AKL-PVG(stop)-KIX in business (using the amazing CO glitch) instead of BKK-SIN direct - just to fly EgyptAir BKK-KUL. Timing wise, it just means spending less time in SIN airport - so I couldnt pass up the opportunity!
I could have flown BKK-AKL direct on TG, and not go on the SQ A380... but why.. I am not in a hurry... I got 9 weeks off.

I am #2. I love to fly and travel. I'd probably be different if I was forced to fly. What fun is F/J if you cant get a bit sloshed since you know next day you ll just be sitting on the beach instead of going to work meetings
9 weeks off? I must know what you do. Education sector?

Nice call on AKL-RAR. Been there before? One of my favourite places on Earth. If you haven't been, fly to AIT while you're at it - internal 40-min flight, even nicer than RAR. Make sure to bring back some Cook Islands money - it's different from NZ money!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC Altitude -.006k
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
The above points are exactly what I said earlier - depends on your priorities, and one would be hard-pressed to call another one crazy simply for choosing this way or that.

So, as GHT (jr!) said, there are 2 types of people, yyzprincess falls in one, some of us fall in the other, and some fall in between.

Do we all agree and hug now? Let's burn the strawmen and return to talking about this neverending promo.
So, what's the emoticon for "hug"?

Btw, saw the blog from Matthew Klint saying he got an email from some AE person saying it was a promo that may end at anytime... having fun looking at Europe (saw 5J on LX in June...!... probably phantom) and mini-RTW with the SO for the fun of it, but getting alot of TPAC legs in Y...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.