Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold vs. CIBC Aerogold Infinite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aerogold vs. CIBC Aerogold Infinite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by achow
After reading the fine print, TD seems to cover trip that is not even charged to TD's but CIBC requires most of the balance paid for by CIBC card. Right?
For both CIBC and TD, the only coverage that does not require you to charge the full fare to the Visa card is out-of-province medical.

Luckily, full fare is defined as 75% with Visa but 100% with Amex.

Don't forget, Amex does not cover you when you are travelling on an Aeroplan redemption ticket, only tickets obtained through Amex membership reward are covered.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper801
For both CIBC and TD, the only coverage that does not require you to charge the full fare to the Visa card is out-of-province medical.

Luckily, full fare is defined as 75% with Visa but 100% with Amex.

Don't forget, Amex does not cover you when you are travelling on an Aeroplan redemption ticket, only tickets obtained through Amex membership reward are covered.
Out of province coverage requires no fare at all, as far as I know. It's just out of province coverage. Even if you drive your own car.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
Out of province coverage requires no fare at all, as far as I know. It's just out of province coverage. Even if you drive your own car.
Yes, and that's what I meant.

Even if you walk or bicycle.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:50 am

One more condition that everyone should be aware about the Amex Platinum insurance coverage, listed under "General Conditions" on page 11 of the Policy:

"1. Any of our policies are excess insurance and are the last payors. All other
sources of recovery, indemnity payments or insurance coverage must be
exhausted before any payments will be made under any of our policies."
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
One more condition that everyone should be aware about the Amex Platinum insurance coverage, listed under "General Conditions" on page 11 of the Policy:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but I don't usually follow this thread so I haven't read upstream:

Is this the case with CIBC? Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Sorry if this has been mentioned but I don't usually follow this thread so I haven't read upstream:

That's standard
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: AC E50K,Delta Gold,Fairmont Plat,HHonor Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum,SPG Gold
so is CIBC priviledge better than amex platinum.
anyone can compare to Amex centurion?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

That's standard
Sorry, I was referring to the Out-of-Province Medical Coverage only. My apology for being unclear.

It's pretty standard except CIBC covers you for 31 days if aged 64 or younger, 10 days if aged 65 or older. Amex Plat covers you for 15 days if aged 64 or younger.

I have not had a chance to compare other coverage between CIBC and Amex recently.

In the past, I have always been led to believe that Amex Auto CDW is "secondary" after your personal insurance if your own personal insurance also provides such coverage.

On balance, it's my personal opinion that the CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege insurance coverage is slightly superior than the Amex Plat.

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 24, 2015 at 6:56 pm
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:48 am
Suspended

Sorry, I was referring to the Out-of-Province Medical Coverage only. My apology for being unclear.

It's pretty standard except CIBC covers you for 31 days if aged 64 or younger, 10 days if aged 65 or older. Amex covers you for 15 days if aged 64 or younger.

I have not had a chance to compare other coverage between CIBC and Amex recently.

In the past, I have always been led to believe that Amex Auto CDW is "secondary" after your personal insurance if your own personal insurance also provides such coverage as stated on page 51 of the Amex policy (under Description of Coverage):

"10. The Cardmember and/or Eligible Person has not been indemnified for damages or expenses covered under the Policy by or through personal insurance."

However, there is no such clause in the CIBC policy. Additionally, if one redeems a car reward via Aeroplan, one is also covered.

On balance, it's my personal opinion that the CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege insurance coverage is slightly superior than the Amex Plat.
Amex Cent covers for 31 days as well.

You maybe right about CIBC coverage. I have been pretty happy with Amex, although they made a mess of one or two claims I put through for delayed baggage. Either way, they deal with insurance teams, so neither CIBC nor Amex handle their own affairs.

I think the excess refers to OHIP or similar provincial insurance plans who should chip in first, then the travel insurance covers the difference.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:55 am

Amex Cent covers for 31 days as well.
The Amex Plat only covers cardholders aged 64 or younger for 15 days.

The Centurion must have an enhanced policy coverage.

The major difference that one should consider is coverage (except medical) when travelling on an Aeroplan redemption ticket. Amex simply does not cover but CIBC/TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite does.

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 24, 2015 at 9:02 am
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: Free Agent

The major difference that one should consider is coverage (except medical) when travelling on an Aeroplan redemption ticket. Amex simply does not cover but CIBC/TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite does.
Well put- and the reason why we have both cards.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by canolakid
Well put- and the reason why we have both cards.
I have had Amex cover AP redemption tickets before.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:28 am

I have read other posts here that Royal Sun Alliance had paid claims when travelling on Aeroplan redemption tickets.

If you read the Policy, it is specifically excluded.

If you were paid in the past, consider yourself as lucky and caught them sleeping on their watch. I shall not rely on it based on the exclusion wording in the Policy.

CIBC/TD policies specifically cover travel on a redemption ticket, including car rental and hotel using your Aeroplan points to pay.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC E50K,Delta Gold,Fairmont Plat,HHonor Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum,SPG Gold
Thank you for everyone's input.

Anyone able to get the Priviledge card annual fee waived?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: *void
You, and several others. But as Clipper has mentioned, technically you shouldn't have been. So, YMMV.

Plus, according to the T&Cs, for the coverage you need the AeroScams to be paid by either a CIBC or TD Aero (Infinite?). Furthermore, only if paying on a redemption with points from the Aero account that is attached to that Visa card. So, for example, you can't just use your card to pay for the AeroScams on your spouse's/buddy's points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.