Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold vs. CIBC Aerogold Infinite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aerogold vs. CIBC Aerogold Infinite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by achow
Thank you for everyone's input.

Anyone able to get the Priviledge card annual fee waived?
Absolutely not.

Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

I would hope not, especially since it includes Zone 2 boarding.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:10 am

Have not seen such an offer since the card was rolled out in early 2014.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Have not seen such an offer since the card was rolled out in early 2014.
I don't even remember seeing either of the TD or CIBC Aero Infinite Privilege card having the annual fee waived, else I'd surely have HOPPED onto this one.

Unless it was via a targeted offer? But, to be honest, though I clearly remember that TD rolled out their version of the Inf Priv at the start of Jan 2014 (never waived the $399 AF), I don't even remember when CIBC introduced their version of the IP card.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: AC E50K,Delta Gold,Fairmont Plat,HHonor Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum,SPG Gold
Ok. I will cancel my TD (and get pro-rated fee back), reapply in a "few" months (no one is certain is it a few days...or six months like amex).

wait for FYF for CIBC/TD
and use my amex for now

Any other credit card good for conversion to Aeroplan (I find my SPG/MR too valuable to do this)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I don't even remember seeing either of the TD or CIBC Aero Infinite Privilege card having the annual fee waived, else I'd surely have HOPPED onto this one.

Unless it was via a targeted offer? But, to be honest, though I clearly remember that TD rolled out their version of the Inf Priv at the start of Jan 2014 (never waived the $399 AF), I don't even remember when CIBC introduced their version of the IP card.
Actually, because i converted from an Infinite to the Privilege, they didn't even issue the full 25000 bonus points. Only 10,000
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AC E50K,Delta Gold,Fairmont Plat,HHonor Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum,SPG Gold
Yes I called TD.. They are cheap b*****!

If you conver the card only 10K bonus. If you reapply a new one, you should get 25k. I'm not taking the chance.

I'm going to CIBC this year for priviledge. And then wait for TD FYF
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:04 am
Suspended

If you conver the card only 10K bonus. If you reapply a new one, you should get 25k. I'm not taking the chance.

I have a rather interesting credit limit which they couldn't guarantee to reinstate unless i did a simple transfer.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:15 am

Ok. I will cancel my TD (and get pro-rated fee back), reapply in a "few" months (no one is certain is it a few days...or six months like amex).

wait for FYF for CIBC/TD
and use my amex for now

Any other credit card good for conversion to Aeroplan (I find my SPG/MR too valuable to do this)
TD's official "wait time" is 6 months but I have read here that it is not rigidly enforced.

Originally Posted by Allvest
Actually, because i converted from an Infinite to the Privilege, they didn't even issue the full 25000 bonus points. Only 10,000
I have a rather interesting credit limit which they couldn't guarantee to reinstate unless i did a simple transfer.
Same here. I went for it for the convenience of not having to get a new card no. I have a few pre-authorized debits going through the card. It's a pain to have to notify vendors to change to the new no.

Additionally and most important, I'd have lost the travel insurance/extended warranty, etc. coverage on purchases made on the old card if it was closed instead of "transferred" from Infinite to Infinite Privilege where you keep the same card no.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:18 am

and TD doesn't offer any retention incentive based on my one off recent personal experience.

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 25, 2015 at 9:35 am
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:12 am

yes. I spent 6 digit (with company expense) on the TD infinite and they don't offer any retention and tell me I'm free to go anywhere else (hence CIBC).

The customer service rep actually explain to me that all the travel insurances they are offering are "expensive" and so I should be happy to pay for the annual fee, irrespective of how much I spent on their card
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, KLM Flying Blue, Lifemiles
yes. I spent 6 digit (with company expense) on the TD infinite and they don't offer any retention and tell me I'm free to go anywhere else (hence CIBC).

The customer service rep actually explain to me that all the travel insurances they are offering are "expensive" and so I should be happy to pay for the annual fee, irrespective of how much I spent on their card
Must be in their training manual as I got the same response. When I escalated the call, this was repeated with the strong insinuation that it was naive of me to want another free year. I on the other hand think it is naive to think that I should pay $120 when in at least three different places you are offering it FYF with a 25000 AE bonus. At that point the 10000 AE points she offered to retain me was just not good enough!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I have read other posts here that Royal Sun Alliance had paid claims when travelling on Aeroplan redemption tickets.

If you read the Policy, it is specifically excluded.

If you were paid in the past, consider yourself as lucky and caught them sleeping on their watch. I shall not rely on it based on the exclusion wording in the Policy.

CIBC/TD policies specifically cover travel on a redemption ticket, including car rental and hotel using your Aeroplan points to pay.
I just read over the Amex policy again today. It says that it covers the trip if it was purchased on the card reward program. It does not say Membership Rewards program. As long as all ancillary charges were put on Amex.

In the case of Aeroplan and other airline FF programs, Amex only allows ONE account to be linked to the actual member's FF program for point transfers... I suspect if you have been making transfers of MR points to, say Aeroplan, this should be covered under their policy, and in my cases, seems it has been covered before.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: *void
I just read over the Amex policy again today. It says that it covers the trip if it was purchased on the card reward program. It does not say Membership Rewards program. As long as all ancillary charges were put on Amex.

In the case of Aeroplan and other airline FF programs, Amex only allows ONE account to be linked to the actual member's FF program for point transfers... I suspect if you have been making transfers of MR points to, say Aeroplan, this should be covered under their policy, and in my cases, seems it has been covered before.
I've been told twice by Amex phone reps, who escalated to higher managers, and they've told me that "there are NO Amex cards that will provide flight insurance coverages on Aeroplan reward redemptions", not even their Aeroplan Plus Platinum (AeroPlat) card.

In reality, as you've seen and others have posted, you may still get coverage through Amex anyway, but it's not a guarantee.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:34 pm

does anyone know if the CIBC lounge voucher is paper based (which I can gift to someone?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.