Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold vs. CIBC Aerogold Infinite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aerogold vs. CIBC Aerogold Infinite

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: IHG Gold
They tell me I have one their strongest accounts.. but the fee is standard, never waived.. and I've never received the bonus miles in the interim that new customers to Aerogold/Infinite get..

Hmm...sounds like the way Bell treats me, but I have to admit even Bell perked up and starting spiffing when I advised them I was being tempted by the competition.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
For the 15 years that I've held the Aerogold.. I've never received a break neither.. and getting extra points in the interim was like pulling teeth..

They tell me I have one their strongest accounts.. but the fee is standard, never waived.. and I've never received the bonus miles in the interim that new customers to Aerogold/Infinite get..

...I too have been an aerogold card holder since day 1 and every year I get annoyed that no points are given for the $120 annual renewal fee. I continue to convice myself that I get the fee back several times by relying on the car rental loss/damage waiver cover.

Also, I have been in receipt of many. many "offers" to transfer to the Infinite card which may have several additional "goodies" but on reading the small print one finds most of the benefits are no use to the "older" folk.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AC854
...I too have been an aerogold card holder since day 1 and every year I get annoyed that no points are given for the $120 annual renewal fee. I continue to convice myself that I get the fee back several times by relying on the car rental loss/damage waiver cover.

Also, I have been in receipt of many. many "offers" to transfer to the Infinite card which may have several additional "goodies" but on reading the small print one finds most of the benefits are no use to the "older" folk.
I switched to the Infinite card a couple of years ago and got 5K points for doing so without starting a new application.. They told me that my strong history and credit limit can be transferred.. and by applying for a new credit card I would have to start over again.

I'm using the Visa Infinite Concierge perk to book Fairmont Mayakoba.. and so far I like it. As for card benefits.. I found that the Visa Aerogold for Business gave bonus 1/2 point per dollar on recurring transactions that really resulted in points adding up fast. Visa Infinite does not give me very much bonus.. and I find that the Amex Gold can replace the 1/2 point bonus at grocery, drugstore, travel and gas stations..

So since we're stacked with Gold and Plat Amex.. I might consider switching back to Aerogold for Business.. but one of the reasons why I switched to Infinite is because the low 10.9% annual rate I never use because we pay our bills every month the entire balance.. and I think the annual rate was $180..
Old Oct 11, 2011, 6:02 pm

For the first time ever I made a claim on the medical coverage on the CIBC Infinite Card. Long story short-had to pay at the time of the treatment , came back to Canada and filed my claim. As usual, a fair bit of paperwork, but mailed it all in and received a cheque in roughly 2 weeks (for the entire amount).

I thought the service was good, and was surprised to get the cheque so quickly.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
For the first time ever I made a claim on the medical coverage on the CIBC Infinite Card.
I've had very positive experiences with them as well
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
For the first time ever I made a claim on the medical coverage on the CIBC Infinite Card. Long story short-had to pay at the time of the treatment , came back to Canada and filed my claim. As usual, a fair bit of paperwork, but mailed it all in and received a cheque in roughly 2 weeks (for the entire amount).

I thought the service was good, and was surprised to get the cheque so quickly.
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I've had very positive experiences with them as well
Medical coverage, and insurance should be prompt service.. The insurance company wishes to retain the insurance sales of the cc company..

If there are problems, the insurance provider will be switched eventually..
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Medical coverage, and insurance should be prompt service.. The insurance company wishes to retain the insurance sales of the cc company..

If there are problems, the insurance provider will be switched eventually..
Sure it should be prompt, and it was.
I am comparing their service to 2 banks I am dealing with, each one of the big 5. One took 7 business days to complete a series of transactions. The other is still struggling to do the same after 6 weeks. Pathetic service, and by chance their VISA division phoned me at home tonight with an "offer" for me....frankly, I hope to never deal with them again after this fiasco. The insurance company deals with claims faster than this bank deals with their own supposedly valued clients
(and in the spirit of disclosure neither bank was CIBC)
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AC E50K,Delta Gold,Fairmont Plat,HHonor Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum,SPG Gold
Sorry to reviving this topic.

My TD aeroplan card meets its first year anniversary and planning on cancelling it and moving back to CIBC.

Any recommendation on whether I should get the Infinite or Infinite Priviledge?

Any one knows of any First Year Free offer or Rebate from other site?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by achow

My TD aeroplan card meets its first year anniversary and planning on cancelling it and moving back to CIBC.

If you already have *G status, the Privilege version would have little additional value for you for other than higher accrual rate of 1.25/$1 and 1.5/$1 on purchases at some merchants (the latter is also offered to the Infinite version), upgraded membership at Fairmont, Visa Luxury Hotel Collection. The Privilege also comes with 6 entries to airport lounges via Airport Angel which is good when you are not flying *G. Additional entries at US$27 each.

Don't think CIBC is offering First Year Fee right now anywhere.

Not sure if the travel insurance is identical between the two cards.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:22 pm

Why not just cancel TD Aeroplan, wait a bit (or not wait at all, like I did), re-apply for another 25K bonus after spending $1000, FYF

Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC E50K,Delta Gold,Fairmont Plat,HHonor Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum,SPG Gold
Hi Jerry, Can you confirm the second 25K bonus?

How soon after you cancel the first one then you reapply for the second one? did you do it online or in person?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:06 am

Hi Jerry, Can you confirm the second 25K bonus?

How soon after you cancel the first one then you reapply for the second one? did you do it online or in person?
Check out this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-card-178.html

I believe the "official" length of time is 6 months but there have been reports here that it is not strictly enforced.

I just cancelled my TD AVI as the renewal came up. I called to see if they would offer any retention incentive. The answer was no, they had no interest whatsoever and effectively told me to go to CIBC when I told the TD agent that I'd get 15,000 points to sign up with CIBC Aerogold Visa at the same fee.

If you cancel, you should do so BEFORE the annual fee is charged to the account or you will only get 11/12 rebated. TD is really cheap on this. I waited until I received the statement with the annual fee. When I called, I was told that the current month would not be rebated, hence 11/12 or $110 only.

Both CIBC and TD Aeroplan Visas are nice to have as they are the only credit cards that offer you travel insurance when flying on a redemption ticket.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper801
If you already have *G status, the Privilege version would have little additional value for you for other than higher accrual rate of 1.25/$1 and 1.5/$1 on purchases at some merchants (the latter is also offered to the Infinite version), upgraded membership at Fairmont, Visa Luxury Hotel Collection. The Privilege also comes with 6 entries to airport lounges via Airport Angel which is good when you are not flying *G. Additional entries at US$27 each.

Don't think CIBC is offering First Year Fee right now anywhere.

Not sure if the travel insurance is identical between the two cards.
Travel insurance on Privilege is max $1000 instead of max $500. But it's still just $500 per passenger on a booking. So Amex Platinum/Centurion provides superior insurance cover.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Allvest
Travel insurance on Privilege is max $1000 instead of max $500. But it's still just $500 per passenger on a booking. So Amex Platinum/Centurion provides superior insurance cover.
You need to read the fine print on the Amex policy. Max. is $1,000 but .....

-Missed connection >4 hours - only expenses for the next 48 hours. If you are stuck for 4 days, Amex will only cover your first 2 days. Privilege does not restrict to first 2 days, same max. $1,000 limit ($500/person).

-Delayed/denied boarding - same as missed connection.

-Baggage delay - >6 hours and only for the first 4 days.

Covers "necessary and reasonable" living expenses.

Amex's coverage on cancellation is only $1,500/person to a maximum of $3,000 for pre-departure and $6,000 post-departure. The Visa Infinite Privilege is much better. I believe that it is $2,500 to a maximum of $10,000 for Privilege.

Also Privilege covers travels on an Aeroplan redemption ticket but not Amex and Privilege's CDW is primary whereas Amex is secondary (AFAIK). So overall, IMO Privilege's insurance policy is superior than Amex but it also depends on individual's requirements.

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 23, 2015 at 11:13 am
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:18 pm

I found Amex insurance are quite helpful in helping us to claim our insurance. Any experience with TDs?

After reading the fine print, TD seems to cover trip that is not even charged to TD's but CIBC requires most of the balance paid for by CIBC card. Right?

Anyone get Priviledge bonus while holding the regular TD infinite card?

I don't want to go without a VISA card (as Amex is getting less accepted than before)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.