Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CIBC Aerogold vs. CIBC Aerogold Infinite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CIBC Aerogold vs. CIBC Aerogold Infinite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by achow
does anyone know if the CIBC lounge voucher is paper based (which I can gift to someone?)
I am told going forward they will be electronic.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
I just read over the Amex policy again today. It says that it covers the trip if it was purchased on the card reward program. It does not say Membership Rewards program. As long as all ancillary charges were put on Amex.

In the case of Aeroplan and other airline FF programs, Amex only allows ONE account to be linked to the actual member's FF program for point transfers... I suspect if you have been making transfers of MR points to, say Aeroplan, this should be covered under their policy, and in my cases, seems it has been covered before.
If this is your interpretation of coverage and you're comfortable that you're covered by the Amex travel insurance policy whilst travelling on an Aeroplan redemption ticket, that's your personal choice.

I see it differently because on page 24 stated that trips will not be covered if purchased with points from a reward program other than the Membership Rewards Program. I have also confirmed with RSA.

does anyone know if the CIBC lounge voucher is paper based (which I can gift to someone?)
It's electronic. Just show your boarding pass and your CIBC AVIP. The ticket must be redeemed from the Aeroplan account attached to your CIBC AVIP to qualify.

CIBC AVIP cardholders receive 4 MLL passes annually. However, it is unclear if one redeems two tickets from the same account and booked on the same booking reference, will the cardholder be able to use 2 of the passes to enter the MLL (i.e., use one of the MLL passes to guest the travel companion into the MLL) or those passes may only be used by the primary cardholder only.

A friend was turned away recently when flying with his wife. He was told notwithstanding that he has 4 MLL passes, they may only be used by the primary cardholder and is not "transferable". The two tickets were redeemed from one account and booked in the same booking reference. So his wife was not allowed entry and he has 4 MLL passes from his 2015 allowance.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Just a side note. I have a CIBC AeroBiz card with fee's coming due mid-May. I called CIBC to find out the May date and got now-where fast when I asked if they would match TD's Aerobiz offer of 30,000 miles.

Considering TD's card is $50 cheaper it's a no brainer. It's just a whole lotta paperwork with TD cards, even considering I've been at the same TD branch for 25 years.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC E50K,Delta Gold,Fairmont Plat,HHonor Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum,SPG Gold
so no one is waiving fee or matching bonus.
We just need to cancel our card within one year and the next year FYF (with TD)
Or just suck it up with the annual fee. I wish the bank will come to their senses to give the same sign up bonus when someone is paying up the annual fee.

I don't mind paying the fee and save the hassle of reapplying. But I don't like the feeling of the bank ripping me off by oferring the bonus to a new sign up and not to the loyal customer who renew the card

On the side note, my Amex SPG card got renewed with the signing bonus matched (not able to get the annual fee waived)
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Ok. I will cancel my TD (and get pro-rated fee back), reapply in a "few" months (no one is certain is it a few days...or six months like amex).

wait for FYF for CIBC/TD
and use my amex for now

Any other credit card good for conversion to Aeroplan (I find my SPG/MR too valuable to do this)
I asked CIBC last year about waiving AF due to FYF on TDVI promo, could not, but offered 10k AE as goodwill gesture for my loyalty. Took it, as I did not wish to go through hassle of managing "another" CC.

Actually, because i converted from an Infinite to the Privilege, they didn't even issue the full 25000 bonus points. Only 10,000
I called them last week with this EXACT same issue I went through in JAN. when i TFR to Privilege. The CIBC CR at Privilege Desk was SUPER helpful, and asked me, "What would you like to see us do?" I sheepishly, asked for the difference to be made up as a goodwill gesture. He looked at my file, 20+ year client going back to basic VISA Aerogold days (wow time flies, do not recall I had VisaAE for that long). $6++figure annual spend for last 15y, safe to say it's been mutually beneficial the relationship. CSR happily good willed 15k in account. Arrived 2 days later in AE.

I have a rather interesting credit limit which they couldn't guarantee to reinstate unless i did a simple transfer.
Same Here, that's why I waited a few months, then called their CS Desk. According to CSR, it is a dedicated desk for Infinite Privilege members. Much like their Concierge Desk. Though I am not certain as I have just used then a couple of times for travel notifications, and ideas. Try it, and report back please.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: AC E50K,Delta Gold,Fairmont Plat,HHonor Diamond, PriorityClub Platinum,SPG Gold
Just an update. I called the CS on the weekend and they waived by TD Infinite annual fee! But I had already got my CIBC new card as a replacement!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Just an update. I called the CS on the weekend and they waived by TD Infinite annual fee! But I had already got my CIBC new card as a replacement!
Oh, you got TD to waive your fee, good for you.

I asked them before and they wouldn't, so I cancelled (product-switched to a no fee TD card). I had been a long time TD customer and hold many TD products including a HELOC. But TD would rather give bonus and FYF to new clients.

My CIBC ae gold card is coming up to its anniversary soon. So I'm watch to see if there will be any offer coming up.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by luvFclass
He looked at my file, 20+ year client going back to basic VISA Aerogold days (wow time flies, do not recall I had VisaAE for that long). $6++figure annual spend for last 15y, safe to say it's been mutually beneficial the relationship. CSR happily good willed 15k in account. Arrived 2 days later in AE.

Originally Posted by yscleo
Oh, you got TD to waive your fee, good for you.

I asked them before and they wouldn't, so I cancelled (product-switched to a no fee TD card). I had been a long time TD customer and hold many TD products including a HELOC. But TD would rather give bonus and FYF to new clients.
Why do Canadians take their banking relationships so personally? Just cancel your card and reapply under the new FYF offer, which gives you the full signup bonus anyways.

I don't have one Aeroplan card, I have three (TD, CIBC, AMEX) and constantly churn them...

Cheers
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Why do Canadians take their banking relationships so personally? Just cancel your card and reapply under the new FYF offer, which gives you the full signup bonus anyways.

I don't have one Aeroplan card, I have three (TD, CIBC, AMEX) and constantly churn them...

Cheers
Umm, credit rating? Churning is pretty bad when it comes to keeping cards for a long time. Main reason why I love AMEX. From what I understand, if you have an open AMEX card and you apply for another one they don't hit your credit (at least I have had no soft or hard hits by AMEX since 2009 ish)
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Umm, credit rating? Churning is pretty bad when it comes to keeping cards for a long time. Main reason why I love AMEX. From what I understand, if you have an open AMEX card and you apply for another one they don't hit your credit (at least I have had no soft or hard hits by AMEX since 2009 ish)
Not exactly, age of accounts is definitely a factor but not as much as you'd suspect. In any case, if you're concerned just downgrade instead to one of the cashback cards with no annual fee, and then apply for another Aeroplan card.

Cheers
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Actually, Amex does do enquiries. Which credit bureau are you pulling your report from? If you're only pulling your report from Equifax, then that would explain why you haven't seen it. Amex has used TransUnion for several years.

I regularly see Amex and RBC hitting my TU report. TD and CIBC on my EQ report.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Actually, Amex does do enquiries. Which credit bureau are you pulling your report from? If you're only pulling your report from Equifax, then that would explain why you haven't seen it. Amex has used TransUnion for several years.

I regularly see Amex and RBC hitting my TU report. TD and CIBC on my EQ report.
Not to get too far OT, but since you asked. Yes, I was using Equifax, so thanks for the new knowledge! I had no idea. I haven't had a new CC in years now so I think i'm ok. Watching out for my credit as I look to take on a mortgage

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.