Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 top tier requirement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:19 am

Programs: lost all status during pandemic...
Originally Posted by GlennH
Well I dont like this move at all. I have been with Aeroplan since 2000 and every year have made at least Prestige with a fair number of Elite years too, including qualifiying this year for 2011 Elite status.
Due to work requirements, most of my flights are now with United and US Airways out of SYR, however I did post 9456 miles on AC metal this year.
So you have 9456 AC miles but not 5 segments with AC? The requirement is 10k miles OR 5 segments. I don't think 5 segments is hard to accomplish at all. Even if the 9456 AC miles are all long-haul flights, just throw in one or two connections and it should be easy to hit 5 segments (if someone wanted to keep E).

j.

Last edited by calgary_jay; Dec 4, 2010 at 2:38 am
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:19 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YEG USER
As a point of comparison with OW, with American Airlines:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...quirements.jsp
Yes, but ...

You can scan the AA forum here on FT from morning to night and you will not find a single instance of this rule ever being enforced. Rather, you will find tonnes of anecdotal evidence attesting to the fact that while it may be on the books it is simply not applied in real life.

Presumably the recently announced enhancement in AP will not be the same (or, why announce a new regulation if you have no intention of implementing it? Just to scare people away?)

cheers,

Henry
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FF_Consultant
......That said the segs vs. miles feels unbalanced -- should have more segments required to retain status.
Really? The segments I give AC are generally Latitude fares and many are on regional flights.Take a look at the revenue AC generates from me annually for the status I have vs. the long haul revenue AC generates from those top tier members who buy T Plus fares.(think mileage runs)

There are those AE members who can generate SE status on 10K or less revenue on mileage.

BTW,I generally hit top tier by way of the daily double,miles and segments.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QCG
you and why fly should get married and live a UA life ever after
Met both those posters you reference at an AC do.

Both are very strong UA advocates and regularly post here.

I am certain that, in their opinion,they are living the good life at UA.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by duckBill
Anyways. Rant over. Gonna go swim in the Andaman sea now! Enjoy Winter! Hah.
Welcome to FT!

You had to make us jealous with the swimming thing!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by acysb87
Met both those posters you reference at an AC do.

Both are very strong UA advocates and regularly post here.

I am certain that, in their opinion,they are living the good life at UA.
And do you forecast a wedding anytime soon?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
So you're one of those who has used AE as a program of convenience to get STARGold for fewer miles...and are now doing the same with Aegean? Basically it's a FF program of convenience with no particular loyalty to the brand. Proves the point as to why AC has implemented this requirement.

Originally Posted by donard
It could make a difference for operational upgrades.

A couple of days ago we checked in at LHR, Y class. I had recently qualified as E, but had not received my card. Mrs Donard had *G from OS, so we could use business checkin. But we wanted to save to different programmes - me to Agean, Mrs Donard to AE, where she is has not any status but should make E after the next flight.

We asked about implication if we changed programmes for the upcoming flight, specifically with regard to operational upgrades, Because, after our changes, we would appear as 2 non-status passengers, rather than 2 *G passengers. The agent checked and told us there would not be any operational upgrades. In a similar situation a few years ago, it was recorded on our reservation that we had status, when we changed to collect on another programme. There was no upgrade then, but we felt the gate agent would have been aware if they were looking for someone.

However, the general tone of this thread seems to be missing our type of situation. We are retired folk, based in Canada and the UK. Obviously, as a result we use AC a fair bit. But we feel we are *A customers, rather than being owned by any one carrier. We are leisure travelers, and have used RTW fares, and others. This year many of our miles were on TG, but on other years we have been round most of the *A airlines.

Mrs Donard first got OZ *G status with very few flights with them. They have different qualification period (not a calendar year) which means it is OK if one of us drops off *G for a while which can happen if we redeem points with the same amount of flying. We like the priority checkin, baggage and lounge access that comes with *G. It is better that we use 2 different programmes as we normally travel together.

I am sure there are others who are Star Alliance customers, rather than customers of one airline who make an odd foray into other airline's territory. However that seems to be the way the airlines regard us. We will probably fly enough with AC to meet this new requirement. But it could get awkward if every airline worked like this, and it spoils the alliance idea. Maybe it results from Aeroplan no longer being owned by AC. How many other airlines do not own their own FF programme?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by payam81
Bingo!

If you're not willing to spend a cent on AC even on the one or two flights you take a year (per your revelations) then why should AC still reward you with the benefits?

They seem to have caught on to this specific issue with the new requirements.
+1 Agreed.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: AC*E, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by 2MM_Guy
+1 Agreed.

Just noticed that I actually hit 5 segments with AC this year anyway,

I only use AC for international (Europe) travel, mostly in Z or J.

So on that basis, I hit 5 segments and nearly 10,000 miles. However my $ spent with AC is at least equal to or greater than my domestic spend with US or UA.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Originally Posted by YEG USER
I'm not sure that I follow. What do you mean by AP/Star Alliance is supposed to be reciprocal? What is being eroded? It is up to each individual airline to set their own requirements for awarding status; this status will then be recognized by all *A airlines.

As a point of comparison with OW, with American Airlines:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pr...quirements.jsp
I guess I didn't explain my argument very well, so I apologize.

What I mean is that OW appear to do fairly well about setting similar rules across their respective carriers, the 4 segment criterion you state also applies to BA (I know, I have silver EC). And the points needed for the OW sapphire is also similar across most of the airlines (I believe, if not I am sure I will be rapidly corrected/shot down!). However with star alliance there are significant differences: someone mentioned 19k for *G for Aegean, AC is 35k, as we know, CO is 50k (but many tickets have 50% bonus so in reality not so far off AC), and then LH set a massive 100k. Do any of those also have the 10k minimum 'home metal' requirement? If so, then that's fine but if not...

Anyway I fully respect any of the star carriers to set their requirements as they see fit, but the star benefits are common to all, at some point it'll be easier just to purchase a CO presidents club membership (or whatever) and that'll provide access to all star alliance lounges regardless.

I should add a quick caveat: I didn't look though *all* the OW/SA carriers to check details so I stand by to be corrected my my senior FT'ers!

For me the argument is academic; I will easily hit 10k, despite being sent to Europe next year for work for 12 months.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:13 am
alc

I admitted that I did not read every single post of this thread and hence no sure if someone else already mentioned this. I just want to throw another idea/theory of why AC might had add this new requirement.

Could AC actually get complain from the *A network about how easy of getting *G status, along with its benefits, in compare with other major *A partner? As most said here, AC*G can get lounge access in compare to some other FF program. Hence, it is a revenue lost to those non MLL lounge due to a large amount of AC*G. Therefore AC might have given an option (or force) to either increase the mileage requirement or change the rule... and AC choose this 10K / 5 Seg to benefit customer that actually on AC metal.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: AC*E, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
Another consideration...at least in North America is that AC doesn't serve the cities I need to visit. UA and US are my only option in this regard. So even if I book the ticket through AC I am still out of luck according to this new rule. In short its discrimination. I wouldn't have a problem with this if AC actually served Omaha, NE and other such destinations which I frequent but they don't.
I don't do any travel domestic Canada. US destinations are 90% of my travel.

I don't see any other *A carrier with this 'home team' requirement.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:44 am

Not entirely true--some top tiers on LH and SQ requires travel on their metal only--AFAIK
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:51 am

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Originally Posted by ac777
Not entirely true--some top tiers on LH and SQ requires travel on their metal only--AFAIK
I didn't know that (not on the M&M website either). Interesting. Add that to the 100k miles for *G (130k for German residents. Ouch) and I seriously wonder who would ever sign up to them!
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Another consideration...at least in North America is that AC doesn't serve the cities I need to visit. UA and US are my only option in this regard. So even if I book the ticket through AC I am still out of luck according to this new rule. In short its discrimination. I wouldn't have a problem with this if AC actually served Omaha, NE and other such destinations which I frequent but they don't.
I don't do any travel domestic Canada. US destinations are 90% of my travel.

This is getting ridiculous. If I only fly from Barcelona to Valladolid, a route which is only served by Iberia (a OneWorld member), is AC discriminating against me too because it will not let me earn any miles at all on the route I need to fly? Please. If you only fly on routes that are served by UA and US, then sign up for either UA or US' programs and be done with it.

As for LH, while the qualification requirement is 100,000 in a calendar year, the status lasts for two years. The requirement is still higher, but the comparison is not apples to apples.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.