Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 top tier requirement

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by illico
Just got my elite connection email. For 2012, you need 10000 status miles or 5 segments on AC metal to qualify.

"On top of existing qualification criteria, members will need to earn a minimum of 10,000 Air.Canada Status Miles or five (5) eligible Air.Canada Status Flight Segments on eligible flights operated by Air.Canada and its regional affiliates to achieve 2012 Top.Tier status. Remember, the qualification period runs from January 1 to December 31, 2011. Full details will be revealed when we launch the 2011 Top.Tier program."
Is this for E or SE?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.285 Mobile Safari/534.1+)

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
BTW, is the 10k miles or 5 segments on AC metal requirement the same for P/E/SE status? (As I only received one newsletter )
Seems to be!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC S100K (formerly AC*SE), AC 2MM, AMEX Plat, Marriott Platinum Elite
Can the OP post the whole text of the e-mail?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:00 pm

am i drunk from drinking too much @ the lounge?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by 2MM_Guy
Long e-mail, but dealing with this topic:

New Top Tier 2012 qualification requirements

On top of existing qualification criteria, members will need to earn a minimum of 10,000 Air Canada Status Miles or five (5) eligible Air Canada Status Flight Segments on eligible flights operated by Air Canada and its regional affiliates to achieve 2012 Top Tier status. Remember, the qualification period runs from January 1 to December 31, 2011. Full details will be revealed when we launch the 2011 Top Tier program.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
In previous years, you could choose status miles as part of your "privileges": 2000 for E, 3500 for SE. If that's still an option for 2011, it would dilute the effect of this requirement a bit.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
I'm looking forward to the threads next October:

I have 47k status miles but only 9420 on AC metal will I get Elite anyway?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 2MM_Guy
Here are the most important parts:

Dear xxxx,

Welcome to the last Elite® Connection edition of 2010! Thanks to you, this Air Canada initiative was a huge success in its first year. In fact, your feedback is responsible for many of the exciting promotions and program updates featured in this issue. During this busy holiday travel period, we've also got new ways to stay connected both on the ground and in the air. On that note, we look forward to having you on board with us very soon. Season's greetings!

Get more executive class for the holidays

Due to positive feedback, we are once again relaxing the fare restrictions on 2010 Top Tier North America and System-Wide Upgrade Certificates over the Holidays. You can request an upgrade to Executive Class from any Tango Plus or Latitude fare when travelling within Canada or between Canada and the United States from December 14, 2010 to January 9, 2011. As always, upgrades are subject to availability and all other terms and conditions apply. Use up your paper certificates before they're replaced by eUpgrades!

New Star Alliance Upgrade Awards

You can now use your Aeroplan® Miles to upgrade to a higher class of service on over 15 Star Alliance member airlines, including Air Canada. The electronic Star Alliance Upgrade Awards also entitle travellers to priority services including lounge access and an elevated level of comfort once in the air.

A simpler way to stay connected

Now it's even more convenient to access WiFi Internet in our Maple Leaf™ Lounges. You can now log in using only your Aeroplan Number. Our personalized system recognizes our most valued customers instantly!

Another good reason to be a Top Tier

As of January 19, 2011, Air Canada is introducing a second baggage fee on flights within Canada and between Canada and the Caribbean, Mexico and Costa Rica. The good news is that these fees do not apply to Top Tier members.

New Top Tier 2012 qualification requirement

On top of existing qualification criteria, members will need to earn a minimum of 10,000 Air Canada Status Miles or five (5) eligible Air Canada Status Flight Segments on eligible flights operated by Air Canada and its regional affiliates to achieve 2012 Top Tier status. Remember, the qualification period runs from January 1 to December 31, 2011. Full details will be revealed when we launch the 2011 Top Tier program.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by CdnFlier
I agree... shouldn't affect me personally but for *A it's an interesting move.
In my experience *A has always been less of an "alliance" and more of a truce between so-called partners that actually have a lot of resentment towards each other. One only need to look at all the various lounge restrictions on who can use what when, ever though according to their charter a *G should be able to use any *A lounge.

oneworld partners have always seemed to me to be much more welcoming of members of partner airlines.
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I think the number of SEs who never fly AC is minimal, but there is a pretty large group of people who credit 35k miles / year to AC/AP in order to get E status, the two largest groups I can think of:

- UA/CO fliers who don´t get lounge access otherwise, the number of UA-flying Es probably even increased since the top tier mileage bonus also applies to UA/CO flights
- FFs located in Europe who mainly fly TATL routes and wouldn´t make SEN status with LH M&M (= *G)

AC was the best option for these FFs for a long time, until TK and A3 joined *A who have much lower mileage requirements.
for anyone who is UA they can PAY $300 for RCC so they are not very likely to put 35k to an AC program, just for lounge access If they just wanted lounge access like you say they would join other programs such as TG when you get 2 years of gold and I assume other programs have the same perk..

there are big changes in the program at AC, just a few days more to find out.

before all the negative people post, of my 35k AC miles 95% are AC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zorn
I'm looking forward to the threads next October:

I have 47k status miles but only 9420 on AC metal will I get Elite anyway?
This statement would be even more hilarious if it weren't so prophetic.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
omg omg omg omg if it's 10k for E, hell I'll ditch my plans to get 1MM for lifetime OZ*G and just stick with AC forever
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
10k for E would be great but I have a feeling tis for prestige
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
Originally Posted by maradori
omg omg omg omg if it's 10k for E, hell I'll ditch my plans to get 1MM for lifetime OZ*G and just stick with AC forever
Originally Posted by bichoo
10k for E would be great but I have a feeling tis for prestige
I think you are misunderstanding.

There will be a threshold of status miles or segments to qualify for P/E/SE (it has been 25/35/100k miles or 25/50/95 segments for q few years at least, for example).

These will be a new requirement - of those miles/segments 10k miles or 5 segments must be on flights operated by AC (Jazz etc.)
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by why fly
for anyone who is UA they can PAY $300 for RCC so they are not very likely to put 35k to an AC program, just for lounge access If they just wanted lounge access like you say they would join other programs such as TG when you get 2 years of gold and I assume other programs have the same perk..
Without beating a dead horse again (AC vs. UA), there have been quite a few UA flyers who chose AC/AP due to:
- 35k vs. 50k status miles for *G
- lounge access
- no starnet blocking

Of course there are good reasons to choose MP over AP (bonus, domestic upgrades etc.), but I´m pretty sure lounge access was one major reason for some FFs.

Originally Posted by why fly
there are big changes in the program at AC, just a few days more to find out.
I hope the changes won´t be too big, changes in the FFP world usually are not good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.